• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
That uses the term 'Pedalcycles' and thus is rendered null and/or void.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
That uses the term 'Pedalcycles' and thus is rendered null and/or void.
Negative.  Your government has instituted the word.  Therefore, you must use said word or face the consequences.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Well I can promise you that my congressperson will be hearing about this.

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
Ahhh;
A 4th whatever of Rome -
A Frank description of the Vandals
Goth directly to the Penn - do not pass Go - do not collect $200

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
I dreamt last night that I was at some unnamed monastic retreat with a number of people from high school. While there, I learned that my father had spent his youth at, of all places, the Saint Herman of Alaska Monastery in Platina, California. Surprised at this revelation, I sought to reach - by email, no less - its abbot, a Father Chrysostomos, but to no avail. It was upon awaking that I realized that this Fr. Chrysostomos was seemingly meant to be Fr. Damascene, the monastery's actual abbot, with my sleeping mind having somehow failed to recall his real name.

Considering that I haven't thought about anything related to any of that in quite a few months, it was a little odd. Still, probably a better dream than most.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
I dreamt last night that I was at some unnamed monastic retreat with a number of people from high school. While there, I learned that my father had spent his youth at, of all places, the Saint Herman of Alaska Monastery in Platina, California. Surprised at this revelation, I sought to reach - by email, no less - its abbot, a Father Chrysostomos, but to no avail. It was upon awaking that I realized that this Fr. Chrysostomos was seemingly meant to be Fr. Damascene, the monastery's actual abbot, with my sleeping mind having somehow failed to recall his real name.

Considering that I haven't thought about anything related to any of that in quite a few months, it was a little odd. Still, probably a better dream than most.
I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the religion of the future by Fr. Seraphim Rose

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Hawkeye said:

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the religion of the future by Fr. Seraphim Rose
:D every time.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Does anyone here live near New Orleans?  I'll be traveling that way for work at the end of the month.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Does anyone here live near New Orleans?  I'll be traveling that way for work at the end of the month.
Does any work get done in New Orleans?  I almost had a job there in the shipyards, but the good ol' Navy decided to back out because of the budget.  I just remember the good food there, which covers a multitude of weird stuff I saw sins.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
Does any work get done in New Orleans?  I almost had a job there in the shipyards, but the good ol' Navy decided to back out because of the budget.  I just remember the good food there, which covers a multitude of weird stuff I saw sins.
I will be doing my best to ensure that it does not, but every once in a while, some sliver of productivity might slip through.  We can't all be government employees...

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Today in my art class the instructor shared a drawing a classmate did of a reference photo that was handed out in class.  It was the domes of an Orthodox church.  The domes had crosses on them.  But, the instructor kept calling it a mosque.  Even after I said it was a church.  And, the other students called it a mosque.  :mad:

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Adela said:
Today in my art class the instructor shared a drawing a classmate did of a reference photo that was handed out in class.   It was the domes of an Orthodox church.  The domes had crosses on them.  But, the instructor kept calling it a mosque.   Even after I said it was a church.  And, the other students called it a mosque.   :mad:
That's unfortunate. I've heard domes equated with Islam too many times. I remember being in a tour of a mosque once, and the guide told us how domes are how you tell a mosque, and that Islam effectively started the whole dome thing. Given my location, I didn't correct him. ;)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
I will be doing my best to ensure that it does not, but every once in a while, some sliver of productivity might slip through.  We can't all be government employees...
No, we can't.  I almost would have been.  Probably for the best, I would have spent too much money on food.  And booze.  Probably.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
It's almost 23:00 and here I am frying some sausages for tomorrow. Oh the joys of being a lonely single man.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I see that oc.net's stats continue to tank in Shiny's absence now compounded by mine. Though you should get a moderate bump from the moot posts by Trisagion now that his wife has taken him off of time out.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
I see that oc.net's stats continue to tank in Shiny's absence now compounded by mine. Though you should get a moderate bump from the moot posts by Trisagion now that his wife has taken him off of time out.
:-*

Missed you too, Onorm.

Ferd Berfel

Reaction score
Just found out today that my boss was fired. No one knows why, and none of the higher ups are even willing to tell us. My (now former) boss doesn't even know. It's a real bummer, she was a great manager and I really liked working for her. Now we're all nervous about the change and wondering if we're going to start losing our jobs too. :(

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Am I the only one who, upon listening to Kim and 97 Bonnie and Clyde, imagines Isa going on a coffee-induced rampage against his ex-wife and then laughing it up with his children while studying St. John of Damascus the next hour acting as if nothing happened?

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
TheTrisagion said:
We don't use the term "freeway" in these here parts and we look with great suspicion on anyone who attempts to do so.
The other thing I still have a very hard time NOT saying.....

'off the 78, near Berkley Heights'

This is so wrong people will stop and correct you loudly...and often....

'off 78'
Except saying things such as the 90 is the correct and prefered usage to any sane person :)

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
DeniseDenise said:
TheTrisagion said:
We don't use the term "freeway" in these here parts and we look with great suspicion on anyone who attempts to do so.
The other thing I still have a very hard time NOT saying.....

'off the 78, near Berkley Heights'

This is so wrong people will stop and correct you loudly...and often....

'off 78'
Except saying things such as the 90 is the correct and prefered usage to any sane person :)
Thank you for your vote for my natal dialectal use....and thus my sanity!

:)

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I really don't enjoy hearing the neighbor's TV.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Nephi said:
What are you they watching tonight?  :D
I don't know, but there are bursts of profanity and loud music. If they turned it up just a little bit more I might be able to figure out what it is I'm they're watching.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Nephi said:
Asteriktos said:
Nephi said:
What are you they watching tonight?  :D
I don't know, but there are bursts of profanity and loud music. If they turned it up just a little bit more I might be able to figure out what it is I'm they're watching.

you should leave them a note that states 'I know you are trying to be really great neighbors....but I couldn't really hear everything they were saying on TV last night....please be sure to turn it up next time so i don't miss out'

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Nephi said:

you should leave them a note that states 'I know you are trying to be really great neighbors....but I couldn't really hear everything they were saying on TV last night....please be sure to turn it up next time so i don't miss out'
That's certainly tempting, I wouldn't have to keep Netflix anymore...

They're an older couple, and it's probably because the man's practically deaf from a stroke. Nicely enough, just today the woman was next door yelling at our fairly new ghetto-dressing neighbors (with nicer vehicles than I could ever afford). :-\

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
"I don’t do the good things I want to do. I keep on doing the evil things I don’t want to do." - Rom. 7:19

Ain't that the truth.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Asteriktos said:
"I don’t do the good things I want to do. I keep on doing the evil things I don’t want to do." - Rom. 7:19

Ain't that the truth.
That very passage came to my mind randomly a few hours ago.  Your ability to channel your inner Mor is remarkable. 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo, are you watching the EuroVision?
I watched part of the Semifinals today but unfortunately it's too late around here so I became sleepy. I'm going to watch Finals at some bar. Hopefully we cand find a suitable bar. Eurovision isn't that popular here.

Too bad that Finnish songs usually suck. The Belgian song seemed nice this year.
Both Finland and the Netherlands made it to the finals. Interesting.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
For some reason I've fallen in love with Maria Romanov. The more I study their lives leading up to that day, the more I wish I could have showed up, married Maria, then escaped back to America with a huge rifle in one hand and Maria in the other, sweat pouring from my pulsing, American chest :) then I'd never have to work again but could live off her family fortune.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
JamesR said:
For some reason I've fallen in love with Maria Romanov. The more I study their lives leading up to that day, the more I wish I could have showed up, married Maria, then escaped back to America with a huge rifle in one hand and Maria in the other, sweat pouring from my pulsing, American chest :) then I'd never have to work again but could live off her family fortune.
Just what I needed on a dreary Friday afternoon, the teaser for JamesR's upcoming magnum opus: Loves of the Saints.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
Just what I needed on a dreary Friday afternoon, the teaser for JamesR's upcoming magnum opus: Loves of the Saints.
Biggest alt-history flick since Fatherland.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Why would it be alternate history? It might only be that if it's tasteful, otherwise it's just blasphemous shlock.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ilyazhito said:
Why would it be alternate history? It might only be that if it's tasteful, otherwise it's just blasphemous shlock.
Time travel is alt by default. :) And there can be nothing blasphemous about it. She gets rescued - no martyrdom - no sainthood - just another nobody running from Russia. No family fortune either, but hey, let's not pop Jimbo's bubble so hard.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
ilyazhito said:
Time travel is alt by default. :) And there can be nothing blasphemous about it. She gets rescued - no martyrdom - no sainthood - just another nobody running from Russia. No family fortune either, but hey, let's not pop Jimbo's bubble so hard.
You mean even if I married her and rescued her from death I still wouldn't get the money? I'd have to work? And probably 10x harder too since a rich monarch probably wouldn't be satisfied with a 3 bedroom apartment and ramen noodles.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
ilyazhito said:
You mean even if I married her and rescued her from death I still wouldn't get the money? I'd have to work? And probably 10x harder too since a rich monarch probably wouldn't be satisfied with a 3 bedroom apartment and ramen noodles.
She would expect domestic staff, too.

You gets what you pays for, kid.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
ilyazhito said:
She would expect domestic staff, too.

You gets what you pays for, kid.

Maybe we can write an alt-history where she escapes...finds you somewhere and saves you as her boy-toy....

her first request....'Never speak'