• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I was driving behind a cop, slightly slower than he was, in the left lane of a highway.  A car comes up fast in the middle lane to pass an 18-wheeler truck, but practically cuts the truck off. 

There are so many times when people drive stupidly and I wonder "Where's a cop when you need one?"  Not so this time.  I said, "Please pull that guy over, please."  Cop lights up and pulls the car over.  That made my day.

The power of prayer, folks.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
Is it strange to acknowledge the birthday of someone who is dead? Probably. Anyway, Mary Cecilia would have been 32 today, and I felt like saying something somewhere, so this will be as good a place as any.

Hope you all are doing well.

Sorry to Liza and Trisagion and JamesRottnek. It wasn't you, it was me. Seriously. :)

I'll be back again eventually to make another post, until then, have fun!
May her memory be eternal.

Reaction score
Found out today that my friends parents died in Mosul. They got executed by the Muslim militants because they where syriac orthodox. Sad day.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Syriac.Aramaic said:
Found out today that my friends parents died in Mosul. They got executed by the Muslim militants because they where syriac orthodox. Sad day.
Lord have mercy and accept them as martyrs.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
Syriac.Aramaic said:
Lord have mercy and accept them as martyrs.
Memory eternal.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Syriac.Aramaic said:
I'm sorry for your friends, and for you.  

May our new saints pray to God for the consolation of those they had to leave behind, and for us who bless and venerate their memories and their relics.  

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Syriac.Aramaic said:
May their memory be eternal.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Also on top of that, when my friend went to Iraq to make the funeral the militants demanded money for the bodys, which my friend had to pay up.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Syriac.Aramaic said:

Also on top of that, when my friend went to Iraq to make the funeral the militants demanded money for the bodys, which my friend had to pay up.
If I may ask, about how old is your friend? If he is very young it will be especially hard for him to deal with such a great loss.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Severian said:
Syriac.Aramaic said:

If I may ask, about how old is your friend? If he is very young it will be especially hard for him to deal with such a great loss.
Hopefully he has family and good friends who will be able to comfort him during this time of hardship. Prayers for him.

Reaction score
Severian said:
Syriac.Aramaic said:

He is over 30 years old, and off course he can handle it better than a young boy but you can't escape the destiny that they died a brutal death... One day he talks to them on the phone, the next day they are dead. They also took the apartment from them together with the local church..

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Syriac.Aramaic said:
Severian said:
Syriac.Aramaic said:

He is over 30 years old, and off course he can handle it better than a young boy but you can't escape the destiny that they died a brutal death... One day he talks to them on the phone, the next day they are dead. They also took the apartment from them together with the local church..
Lord have mercy.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
So we came all the way from Finland to Armenia and most of what we're doing is drinking cheap beer.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
So we came all the way from Finland to Armenia and most of what we're doing is drinking cheap beer.
So, you could have stayed home for that.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:
Not a chance. There's no such thing as cheap beer in Finland.

And to be honest we've done other things too. Like visiting sights and museums. Hoping to see the mother see of the Armenian church tomorrow and venerate the relics of St. Gregory of Armenia.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:

And to be honest we've done other things too. Like visiting sights and museums. Hoping to see the mother see of the Armenian church tomorrow and venerate the relics of St. Gregory of Armenia.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
And this is not to mention the fact that Nazarenes still exist, they just don't agree with your crackpot views.  I am a Nazarene.    
For some reason this inspired me.

Apolytikion (Tone 1)

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Antonis said:
And this is not to mention the fact that Nazarenes still exist, they just don't agree with your crackpot views.  I am a Nazarene.    

Apolytikion (Tone 1)

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Can that really be sung in tone one?  LOL.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:

Apolytikion (Tone 1)

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Can that really be sung in tone one?  LOL.
I wrote it so it could be.  :p

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Antonis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:

Apolytikion (Tone 1)

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
I forget what little Byzantine chant I ever learned.  Record this! 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:

Apolytikion (Tone 1)

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
I forget what little Byzantine chant I ever learned.  Record this! 
Will do.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:

Now I really won't go to Finland.  J/K going to the sauna.

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:

I haven't saunaed since I was 2.  Guess that makes me a bad Finn.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
john_mo said:
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:

I haven't saunaed since I was 2.  Guess that makes me a bad Finn.
I thought all Finns have three or four saunas within walking distance, not to mention the two or three each Finn is issued by the government.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Long story short, I've been falling in love with this young lady at my parish. The only problem is, however, that I'm 18 years old and she is 14 going on 15. I've asked one of my good friends and she advised me to wait until she reaches legal age. But, I'm open to as many opinions as I can get.

So what should I do? Am I too old for this young maiden? She's everything I've ever wanted--pious, blonde, mature, humble. Her family seems like nice people too imo. I'd like to ask her out on a date, but I am afraid that our age difference may be too much.

Will people perceive me as a pedophile? Will I be violating any laws? I don't plan on being sexually active unless/until I get married. Could a relationship like this work out? Also, is this dangerous for me? I know that me being an adult and her being a minor is kind of risky since that if we were to ever break up (assuming we got together) or I did something to tick her off, that she could lie and feign rape, in which case, I could be seriously busted and falsely labeled a child molester or something.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
James

Just go ask Orthonorm to tell you what to do.

You won't like or listen to anyone here anyhow, save everyone the time.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Long story short, I've been falling in love with this young lady at my parish. The only problem is, however, that I'm 18 years old and she is 14 going on 15. I've asked one of my good friends and she advised me to wait until she reaches legal age. But, I'm open to as many opinions as I can get.

So what should I do? Am I too old for this young maiden? She's everything I've ever wanted--pious, blonde, mature, humble. Her family seems like nice people too imo. I'd like to ask her out on a date, but I am afraid that our age difference may be too much.

Will people perceive me as a pedophile? Will I be violating any laws? I don't plan on being sexually active unless/until I get married. Could a relationship like this work out? Also, is this dangerous for me? I know that me being an adult and her being a minor is kind of risky since that if we were to ever break up (assuming we got together) or I did something to tick her off, that she could lie and feign rape, in which case, I could be seriously busted and falsely labeled a child molester or something.
1) You're not in love.* ( 2 ) If she's not old enough to be sexually available to you, then what exactly is it you want?**

* Whatever that means.
**  No, I'm not saying what you think I'm saying; I'm talking about marriage and children, which involve the maturity to make lifelong decisions and, yes, sex.

Just leave kids alone.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
If she's not old enough to be sexually available to you, then what exactly is it you want?**
Her companionship and company. She's pleasant to be around.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Porter ODoran said:
If she's not old enough to be sexually available to you, then what exactly is it you want?**
Her companionship and company. She's pleasant to be around.
::) A lot of people are pleasant to be around, but you don't see long breathy posts about them.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Do you want me to be serious? Putting aside the ridiculousness of the scenario -- Half your post is about yourself and consequences you are afraid to get into. That's not the spirit of Christ or any benignant man.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Do you want me to be serious? Putting aside the ridiculousness of the scenario -- Half your post is about yourself and consequences you are afraid to get into. That's not the spirit of Christ or any benignant man.
Yes please be serious.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
The solution to this or any other fancies is to put them out of your head and occupy yourself with becoming a godly man.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
James

Wisdom.

Any 18 year old, no matter how immature, who is attracted to a ninth grader, is well... I'd rather not get the red dot.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
JamesR said:
Long story short, I've been falling in love with this young lady at my parish. The only problem is, however, that I'm 18 years old and she is 14 going on 15.
Here you go, James.

Statutory Rape Legal Advice

"If you are arrested for statutory rape, remain silent. Don't try to explain your side of it to the cops or talk your way out of it. Let me handle it; that's what I'm here for. A statutory rape charge can have significant consequences, which is why I will conduct a thorough investigation to help prove your side of the story...and your innocence."

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
James, you're closer in age to that girl than I am to my own husband, but there's a big difference between an 18 and 14/15 year-old and a 27 and 31/32 year-old. I don't think you're a pedophile, but I do think this scenario is loaded with potential disaster. Avoid.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
James, you're closer in age to that girl than I am to my own husband, but there's a big difference between an 18 and 14/15 year-old and a 27 and 31/32 year-old. I don't think you're a pedophile, but I do think this scenario is loaded with potential disaster. Avoid.
I actually think a 14 year old might be too mature for him.

Not that he's serious anyway. Next week he'll be wanting to be permanently celibate, or a monk, or marry an atheist, or or or...

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
James

This.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Snus.

Sorry, felt like it had been too long since that had been mentioned.