• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
I didn't know that they didn't have icons in their churches.  I would have thought they would.  I visited one Armenian church in St. Petersburg and it had a couple of icons even though it was under the RCC.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
They did have icons. There were always an icon over the altar and few others on the walls. It's just that there were a lot less that we customarily have in our churches and they were so high on the walls that no one could kiss them.

Also, our church stores etc. always have a myriad of icons for sale. In Armenia there were lots of crosses and other items but not many icons.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
The food was great but I don't know whether we had anything specifically Armenian food. We found German and Irish pubs and Parisian cafés but not any Armenian restaurants. But then again that's how it is everywhere. People eat local food at home and want something else when they go to a restaurant. Also, we are vegetarians so we didn't go to restaurants which didn't offer any vegetarian food and that probably excluded most Armenian restaurants.

Local beer and coffee was great though.

Reaction score
Home from todays church service, we had a visit from a indian bishop mor Julius. Very nice service.

God bless.

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
Alpo said:
The food was great but I don't know whether we had anything specifically Armenian food. We found German and Irish pubs and Parisian cafés but not any Armenian restaurants. But then again that's how it is everywhere. People eat local food at home and want something else when they go to a restaurant. Also, we are vegetarians so we didn't go to restaurants which didn't offer any vegetarian food and that probably excluded most Armenian restaurants.

Local beer and coffee was great though.
Glad the food was good (always important when travelling).  Shame that you couldn't try Armenian food.  I heard it's quite good, although it would probably be quite meaty.

BTW, does Finland have a high percentage of vegetarians?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I think the number is growing but it's still marginal. I don't know any statistics though.

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
john_mo said:
Ah, I get you.  Still a little surprising. 
Not if you didn't have to deal with iconoclasm.  Our practice is simply what we all did until some wackos in your neck of the ecclesial woods went nuts.  :)
I should have you know that the Germans are very nice people.  :mad:

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
john_mo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
john_mo said:
Not if you didn't have to deal with iconoclasm.  Our practice is simply what we all did until some wackos in your neck of the ecclesial woods went nuts.  :)
I should have you know that the Germans are very nice people.   :mad:
I agree, but what do Germans have to do with anything?  I was talking about eighth and ninth century iconoclasts. 

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
john_mo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
john_mo said:
I agree, but what do Germans have to do with anything?  I was talking about eighth and ninth century iconoclasts. 
Ah, so you meant my spiritual neck of the woods, not my current physical neck of the woods.  Still, I don't know if I should be offended or not.  I'll get back to you.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
john_mo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
john_mo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
john_mo said:
Ah, so you meant my spiritual neck of the woods, not my current physical neck of the woods.  Still, I don't know if I should be offended or not.  I'll get back to you.
Sure, take your time.  :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Justin Kissel said:
Justin Kissel said:
The girl I just let into my building...

... I wish when girls broke up with their boyfriends they wouldn't just pack up all their stuff and move out immediately. Give the other guys in the neighborhood a chance! That's all I'm asking!
Yes.  That would be the loving (toward the new guy) and vengeful (toward the old guy) thing to do.  A win-win.  Why don't they ever think of that?
My neighbor told me that apparently the cops came to make sure things went ok when she came back and got the rest of her stuff. So I can only guess that she had good reason to want to be far away from this neighborhood.  :-\

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Also, we are vegetarians...
That's worse than recognising/not recognising Chalcedon, bro.
Are you sure you're an Indian?
Even they are not sure.  Besides, Acts 10.9-16.
Huh? I was just mentioning that I don't eat meat and you start arguing. Does it bother you that I'm a vegetarian?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Huh? I was just mentioning that I don't eat meat and you start arguing. Does it bother you that I'm a vegetarian?
Today must be "Mor Offends Europeans Saturday".  I was kidding, but never mind.  :p

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
"You don't win friends with salad."

+MOR EPHREM+

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Alpo said:
There are vegetables in Finland?

I kid, your cholesterol is definitely better than mine.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Most annoying warped/misused buzz term in new age claims/texts/websites: neuro- or quantum?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alyssa Milano, I know you want me to give money to UNICEF, but why must you sound constipated in your best convincing tone?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Today must be "Mor Offends Europeans Saturday".  I was kidding, but never mind.  :p
Ha, I fell into my own tarp. I've heard too many bad arguments against vegetarianism that I don't recognize who's serious anymore.

Oh well. Getting offended on internet forums is part of the netiquette anyway.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
"Half-Jewish, Half-Catholic, All Gay"

Someone make this thread please.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
"Half-Jewish, Half-Catholic, All Gay"

Someone make this thread please.
But wait until the new bingo cards are finished.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
hecma925 said:
SolEX01 said:
Justin Kissel said:
Most annoying warped/misused buzz term in new age claims/texts/websites: neuro- or quantum?
VW made a car called the Quantum in the 1980's....

My uncle had that car.
I liked it, along with the Audi 5000 - even if the Audi found itself in reverse (profiled on 60 Minutes).

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
I asked this earlier but it got buried. I read that OC.net had a chat room. Is it now defunct?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
I didn't get the lawn mowed today. :(
That's why God made teenage family members who need spending money :angel:

Antonis said:
I asked this earlier but it got buried. I read that OC.net had a chat room. Is it now defunct?
OC.net had a chat room a couple times, but they are indeed now kaput.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Whenever I receive a personal message notification as I log-in I become so happy for some reason.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
genesisone said:
ZealousZeal said:
I didn't get the lawn mowed today. :(
I did!!!
At least somebody did! It's supposed to be nice here tomorrow, so I have that to look forward to.
You, a lady, has to mow your own lawn? That's scandalous over here as it makes us males look bad. You should have your children mow the lawn! Buy them McDonalds after :)