Random Postings

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
I see no reason to let this thread die, because the life exists as long as people post, and as long as we post, then it is good

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
TheMathematician said:
I see no reason to let this thread die, because the life exists as long as people post, and as long as we post, then it is good
I had difficulty with my previous post. There was no quick reply box or any reply. It looked like the mods had closed it.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
As much as I like Western liturgy, it sometimes seems disjointed to me. Maybe because it doesn't have so many litanies, aka "liturgical glue."

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Antonis said:
As much as I like Western liturgy, it sometimes seems disjointed to me. Maybe because it doesn't have so many litanies, aka "liturgical glue."
It's funny, I usually feel the opposite: Western liturgy, along with most of the non-Byzantine Eastern rites, seems to have a definite order, progression, and flow, while Byzantine liturgy usually seems to me like a bunch of loosely connected odds and ends thrown together.  Years of study and experience have tempered this somewhat, but I still feel this way for the most part, at least in terms of the average form of celebration. 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
It's funny, I usually feel the opposite: Western liturgy, along with most of the non-Byzantine Eastern rites, seems to have a definite order, progression, and flow, while Byzantine liturgy usually seems to me like a bunch of loosely connected odds and ends thrown together.  Years of study and experience have tempered this somewhat, but I still feel this way for the most part, at least in terms of the average form of celebration. 
I definitely agree with this. Although I can't speak for Oriental rites, it would be a lot easier to teach an irreligious person the NO or Tridentine Mass than to teach him Byzantine Liturgy. Western liturgy is logical and more clearly structured. I was speaking from an aesthetic angle of a steady "flow", though I'm sure that viewpoint at least partially stems from familiarity.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
That does seem true even in the little experience I have. As much as I've acquired a taste for the Byzantine Liturgy, all of those seemingly copy-pasted litanies still get me.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
I've been away from Buffalo a month, and I miss it so much already

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I miss my Priest. He's been away on the East Coast with his mother who has undergone an intensive surgery.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
According to Fr. Aidan Roman rite used to have regular litanies too.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Too much sunlight makes me sad. Every summer, somewhere in July or August, I have a mini-depression. It is, however, cloudy and rains again and now I feel a lot better.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Good to "see" you again, Cyrillic!
Thanks. I won't be posting as much, though. A strict diet, one could say. As a compensation I'll try to put more thought in the posts I do make.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
LBK said:
Thanks. I won't be posting as much, though. A strict diet, one could say. As a compensation I'll try to put more thought in the posts I do make.
I quite understand.  ;) :) The diet you're on is a healthy one.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
LBK said:
I really should get on that diet as well.

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
ilyazhito said:
Should it be called "Bison"? Buffalo is only the proper name for Asian water buffalo.
Look man, all I know is that BILLS equals Boy I Love Losing Superbowls.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Bishops are called primates, and they all have a shared lineage, leading back to one original ancestor. Yet the administrative structure of the Church has changed over time. Descent with modification. Orthodoxy has been promoting evolution all along and not even realized it.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
Bishops are called primates, and they all have a shared lineage, leading back to one original ancestor. Yet the administrative structure of the Church has changed over time. Descent with modification. Orthodoxy has been promoting evolution all along and not even realized it.
I would like to do a monogenetic analysis on that.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Just finished canning 23 quarts of dill pickles. I use "quarts" rather loosely. My jars are a collection of Imperial quarts, US quarts, and litres.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Why do girls like guys wearing suits? I've even seen one meme/pic that says a guy wearing a suit is for a girl what a girl wearing lingerie is for a guy.  ???

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Well apparently some girls believe it, because they're reposting like one of those "Ha, isn't this SO true!" type things for other girls to respond to.  :angel:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I wonder if I have too many shoes. I finally got the rest of my shoes from the warehouse and I had forgot about two kinds of sneakers that I have. Wouldn't probably miss them if I lost them.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
It's fun being male where 3 pairs of shoes is more than enough to last me 2 years before needing new ones.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
It's fun being male where 3 pairs of shoes is more than enough to last me 2 years before needing new ones.
Nope. Not a chance. You'll need few more pairs if you want to dress anyhow nicely and comfortably.

Also, not gender-related issue. I had more shoes than my ex-girlfriend had.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
JamesR said:
Nope. Not a chance. You'll need few more pairs if you want to dress anyhow nicely and comfortably.

What exactly do you need? Black oxfords, brown oxfords, patent formal shoes (tho most won't need those). White shoes are an option if you still opt into the spring sweater or summer seersucker crowd (almost nobody does). Now, if you have practical hobbies like boating, biking, gardening that's another matter from what I understand James to be addressing. Any more variety just marks a faddish man.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:
JamesR said:

What exactly do you need? Black oxfords, brown oxfords, patent formal shoes (tho most won't need those). White shoes are an option if you still opt into the spring sweater or summer seersucker crowd (almost nobody does). Now, if you have practical hobbies like boating, biking, gardening that's another matter from what I understand James to be addressing. Any more variety just marks a faddish man.
Loafers are nice to have, as well as some sneakers you can beat up.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
What exactly do you need? Black oxfords, brown oxfords, patent formal shoes (tho most won't need those).
Those brown Italian shoes can come in handy.

Porter, you pleasantly surprise me as a being a gentleman with style.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alpo said:
JamesR said:

My footwear:

A pair of sandals for informal/comfort wear.
A pair of black dress shoes for church/formal occasions.
A pair of black tennis shoes for work.
A pair of regular tennis shoes for other occasions.

That's all I want or need.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
JamesR said:

Perhaps if you have a lot of hobbies or a job that requires different footwear, but for the average male I don't see much of a need. It's not like females who need several pairs of shoes to accommodate their constantly changing wardrobe.

I only have

1 pair of formal dress shoes
2 pairs of Adidas sneakers for everyday use
1 pair of working shoes which is recycled from my old shoes when I buy new ones

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
What exactly do you need? Black oxfords, brown oxfords, patent formal shoes (tho most won't need those).
Those brown Italian shoes can come in handy.

Porter, you pleasantly surprise me as a being a gentleman with style.
My shoes come from Spain (hats and ties come from Italy; shirts and suits, bespoke). Actually, I shouldn't pretend this is me anymore.

Actually, a well-dressed woman doesn't need as many shoes as you'd think. Black pumps and cream pumps cover a lot of ground. Obviously those choosing to match their shoes to their gowns or accessories -- which is a good style choice -- would need more. But this idea of new heels for every outing isn't elegance but cheap fad.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with oc.net today? Pages don't seem to want to load, or load properly (I get the bare/ugly version), the site is slow, etc...?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:
JamesR said:

Derbys, loufers, monks, sneakers. Leather, suede, textile. Various colors. There are lots of options. You can live with only one pair if you want to but if you want to dress nicely and comfortably you need more than one pair.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
Is anyone else having issues with oc.net today? Pages don't seem to want to load, or load properly (I get the bare/ugly version), the site is slow, etc...?
Didn't have anything yesterday, but it's a real struggle today. The fear of double posts is ever over my shoulder.