Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
God has a sense of humour.  He puts the perfect day for a barbecue (10/23 August, feast of St Laurence of Rome) right in the middle of a fast. 

You just had to go and say barbecue, now didn't you?

Was perfectly fine with my avocado spread sandwich until you did.....
Avocado spread?  For heaven's sake, eat a fish.  :p

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Raylight said:
What fast are you talking about guys ?!
In the Orthodox Church, we have a fast before the Dormition. It lasts about two weeks. In some other churches, Dormition is called the Assumption.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Raylight said:
Dormition of the Theotokos Fast. If you are following the new calendar you've been on the Dormition Fast since Aug 1st. If you are on the old calendar, the Dormition Fast doesn't start until the 13th.

R

Raylight

Thank you guys :)

I remember my first Lent fast. It was this year and I loved it. It wasn't easy, but it was unique. The sense of discipline that I felt during the fast made me get closer and closer to God. I will never forget it.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Raylight said:

I remember my first Lent fast. It was this year and I loved it. It wasn't easy, but it was unique. The sense of discipline that I felt during the fast made me get closer and closer to God. I will never forget it.
That is good to hear.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
biro said:
Raylight said:

That is good to hear.
It's nice to have these Wednesday and Friday fasts. Someone once figured out that we have more fast days during the year than non-fast days.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:
For those on the new calendar, it's the fast before the feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
God has a sense of humour.  He puts the perfect day for a barbecue (10/23 August, feast of St Laurence of Rome) right in the middle of a fast.  

Avocado spread?  For heaven's sake, eat a fish.  :p
Actually, that sounds pretty good. Few slices of rye bread, some avocado, veggies and spices sounds like a nice lunch.

I know, I'm weird.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Mor Ephrem said:
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
God has a sense of humour.  He puts the perfect day for a barbecue (10/23 August, feast of St Laurence of Rome) right in the middle of a fast.  

Avocado spread?  For heaven's sake, eat a fish.  :p
Actually, that sounds pretty good. Few slices of rye bread, some avocado, veggies and spices sounds like a nice lunch.

I know, I'm weird.
it was quite nice.....so you are not weird at all!

until someone mentioned bbq....

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Holy crap did I have a bad morning. Was woken up at 6:23AM this morning by what was first a sad although great dream which soon turned into a nightmare. In the dream I was on another date with the one female I ever loved and haven't seen in person for 2 years. We were driving around town, smoking cigars together, and eating at a fancy restaurant, etc. Then my family appeared out of nowhere and started yelling at me, and my girl disappeared, and I couldn't find her anywhere...woke up crying and hysterical, in a depressive daze of longing for the past--for those 3 dates I had with that girl about 2 years ago which were the greatest moments of my life, my first love--and regretting the present, wishing I hadn't lost my love, and feeling hopeless for the future like a shadow slowly fading into non-existence--my memories becoming more and more just that: memories, and the past further slipping away. My, was it a horrid experience. Haven't cried like that in a while. Went back to bed and slept in until 11.

R

Raylight

JamesR said:
Holy crap did I have a bad morning. Was woken up at 6:23AM this morning by what was first a sad although great dream which soon turned into a nightmare. In the dream I was on another date with the one female I ever loved and haven't seen in person for 2 years. We were driving around town, smoking cigars together, and eating at a fancy restaurant, etc. Then my family appeared out of nowhere and started yelling at me, and my girl disappeared, and I couldn't find her anywhere...woke up crying and hysterical, in a depressive daze of longing for the past--for those 3 dates I had with that girl about 2 years ago which were the greatest moments of my life, my first love--and regretting the present, wishing I hadn't lost my love, and feeling hopeless for the future like a shadow slowly fading into non-existence--my memories becoming more and more just that: memories, and the past further slipping away. My, was it a horrid experience. Haven't cried like that in a while. Went back to bed and slept in until 11.
Nothing is wrong in crying for love and even the past. Be happy that you had the chance to have such love and such good times. Some people never get the chance to have that what you had.

I myself sometimes feel I want to cry when I remember the good days of the past, and compare it to how today is like. But you know what ? We always do that. We don't appreciate the present, until when it become a past. that is when we realize how good the present really was.

So enjoy today, enjoy the present, because it will become a past and you will one day remember it and miss it.

And always know that there is a God, a Heavenly Father who is right there with you, in yesterday's past, in today's present and tomorrow's future. ;)

CopticDeacon

High Elder
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
Raylight said:
Dormition of the Theotokos Fast. If you are following the new calendar you've been on the Dormition Fast since Aug 1st. If you are on the old calendar, the Dormition Fast doesn't start until the 13th.
If you're Coptic, it started on 1st of Mesoori and ends on the 16th. (August 7th and 22nd)  ;)

CopticDeacon

High Elder
Reaction score
Last one. My friend's little cousin memorized and recited the entire Gospel of St. Mark at Coptic youth competition/talent show day. It featured different sports, hymns, and other things. God bless a youth with that much fervor.  :angel:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
And now something completely different. It's kind of tragicomical that the most rude people that I've met have been active, church-going Orthodox Christians. Usually all kinds of people have some manners and are able to have some kind of small talk even if they didn't know you or didn't particularly want to either. Then there are some people who just ignore you completely and give you disparaging looks if you try to say something.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Based on the recent spate of threads about Old Calendarism, I have concluded that the forum has finished a life cycle and is being reborn.

Next will come a ban on discussions of homosexuality and nearly a year of threads about intimate personal relations (let the reader understand).

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Wow what a rollercoaster of a week. Thank goodness the dating thread is dead (to me), otherwise...

Anyway, I didn't log in to be an emotional exhibitionist tonight, but rather a voyeur of eggheaded dorktastrophies... so get to work people!

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If I made a music video, it would begin with footage of me playing my guitar on top of a building as the sun came up and wind was blowing through my hair. Then I would cut to a shot of me walking down a city street with a leather jacket on as wind blows through my hair. Then I'd cut back to me playing guitar around a campfire and looking very sincere as wind blew through my hair. Then I'd cut to a scene where I was standing on the beach staring at the ocean with wind blowing in my hair, and then more footage of me playing guitar except this time I'd be playing my guitar in the desert with wind blowing in my hair. After that I'd have a scene where I was on the subway writing lyrics in a notebook while wind was blowing through my hair. Then I'd cut to a shot of me playing guitar while hang gliding as wind blew through my hair (I haven’t decided whether or not I should be wearing a leather jacket in the hang gliding scene.) Finally, I’d end the video with a shot of me with my guitar slung on my back as I’m throwing darts in a pub as wind blows through my hair (or maybe this will be the first scene; I haven’t decided yet.) But I think this would be a very original video. Something very different from anything that’s ever been done before.

Selam

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
And now something completely different. It's kind of tragicomical that the most rude people that I've met have been active, church-going Orthodox Christians. Usually all kinds of people have some manners and are able to have some kind of small talk even if they didn't know you or didn't particularly want to either. Then there are some people who just ignore you completely and give you disparaging looks if you try to say something.
Interesting. This has not been my experience.  That is probably because the only time I meet Orthodox Christians is at Liturgy, and it is kind of hard to be the most rude person I've ever met while chanting "We have seen the true light..."

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
If I made a music video, it would begin with footage of me playing my guitar on top of a building as the sun came up and wind was blowing through my hair. Then I would cut to a shot of me walking down a city street with a leather jacket on as wind blows through my hair. Then I'd cut back to me playing guitar around a campfire and looking very sincere as wind blew through my hair. Then I'd cut to a scene where I was standing on the beach staring at the ocean with wind blowing in my hair, and then more footage of me playing guitar except this time I'd be playing my guitar in the desert with wind blowing in my hair. After that I'd have a scene where I was on the subway writing lyrics in a notebook while wind was blowing through my hair. Then I'd cut to a shot of me playing guitar while hang gliding as wind blew through my hair (I haven’t decided whether or not I should be wearing a leather jacket in the hang gliding scene.) Finally, I’d end the video with a shot of me with my guitar slung on my back as I’m throwing darts in a pub as wind blows through my hair (or maybe this will be the first scene; I haven’t decided yet.) But I think this would be a very original video. Something very different from anything that’s ever been done before.

Selam
:D :D :D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Cyrillic said:
Did the thread about the Crusades evaporate?
It wasn't wearing the brown scapular.
Either way, Dave has been claiming that we cowered in the face of his crusader zeal. He sent a dispatch to his fellow crusaders across the Tiber that the Tenth Crusade to Conquer the OC.net Schism-Caliphate has been a great success. In celebration of his victory he has been polishing his shortsword all day long whilst crying deus lo vult.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I had another bizarre dream. This one was just plain weird.

Apparently I was watching too much Animal Planet before bed or something but I had a dream that I was trying to save a bunch of baby animals from poachers in Africa and I jumped inside of a hovercraft, animals in the back, and none other than Kelly was in the passenger seat and she just kept telling me to drive and not screw up as a bunch of angry African poachers with rifles chased us.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
JamesR said:

Apparently I was watching too much Animal Planet before bed or something but I had a dream that I was trying to save a bunch of baby animals from poachers in Africa and I jumped inside of a hovercraft, animals in the back, and none other than Kelly was in the passenger seat and she just kept telling me to drive and not screw up as a bunch of angry African poachers with rifles chased us.
So what part of watching too much Animal Planet leads to dreaming about Kelly? 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:

Don't know. I like animals and Kelly :)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:

Don't know. I like animals and Kelly :)
Why do I have a sinking feeling  this thread will be read into a court record one day?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Justin Kissel said:
Mor Ephrem said:
This cannot end well.
does anything JamesR posts ever end well?
Nearly everything he posts. Do you ever offer anything of interest here, whether entertaining or informative? Ever?

Just one. Quote it here for me please.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
Justin Kissel said:
Mor Ephrem said:
This cannot end well.
Nearly everything he posts. Do you ever offer anything of interest here, whether entertaining or informative? Ever?

DeniseDenise said:
Agabus said:
scamandrius said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Yes, I know.  You got to venerate the belt given to St. Thomas from the Theotokos.  Aren't you cool? ;)
I expect one day for one of the Mor fanboys to paint a schlock icon depicting the event.

How sexist!   

He clearly has fangirls too....

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
Justin Kissel said:
Mor Ephrem said:
This cannot end well.

DeniseDenise said:
Agabus said:
scamandrius said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Yes, I know.  You got to venerate the belt given to St. Thomas from the Theotokos.  Aren't you cool? ;)
I expect one day for one of the Mor fanboys to paint a schlock icon depicting the event.

How sexist!   

He clearly has fangirls too....
Still holding my breath.