• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
ZealousZeal said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Justin Kissel said:
Though the 'low' part bugs me...
Just take out the "w" in MS Paint.
I love it when my hands are talking to themselves. 
Wait, we're Justin too?
He's one of my puppets, like you.  I have many puppets. 
You're a promiscuous puppeteer.
Hush, before I throw you in the laundry.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Random fact:

I have and have had since childhood, through multiple moves to other states and countries, an actual sock puppet in my sock drawer.  He is a black sock with bright red hair.

He hangs out there and rules the land of the socks.  If he is not in there, I tend to get agitated and worried.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
So I went to a restaurant today that styles itself as an American restaurant. In here it means that the food consists of various kinds of burgers and french fries. It's kind of weid that despite the fact that nowadays people would like to think of themselves as tolerant, international and curious we still tend to think through stereotypes like this. If a fine dining restaurant advertised itself as an American restaurant people probably wouldn't have any idea about what they're offering.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Random fact:

I have and have had since childhood, through multiple moves to other states and countries, an actual sock puppet in my sock drawer.  He is a black sock with bright red hair.

He hangs out there and rules the land of the socks.  If he is not in there, I tend to get agitated and worried.
Well that's different...

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #223: Pursue pecuniary emulation and you will be brought to ruin on earth; pursue conspicuous consumption and you will be cast into the fires of hell.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Justin Kissel said:
Wait, we're Justin too?
I greatly enjoyed this exchange. I chortled, then I laughed.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
So I went to a restaurant today that styles itself as an American restaurant. In here it means that the food consists of various kinds of burgers and french fries. It's kind of weid that despite the fact that nowadays people would like to think of themselves as tolerant, international and curious we still tend to think through stereotypes like this. If a fine dining restaurant advertised itself as an American restaurant people probably wouldn't have any idea about what they're offering.
Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq and hotdogs as well.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq as well.
BBQ tends to be a more southern thing. Burgers and fries are staples across the country. The fine dining restaurants here usually advertise themselves as French.  :D

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq and hotdogs as well.
It's the equivalent of an "Italian" restaurant serving nothing but spaghetti and meatballs.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
It's the equivalent of an "Italian" restaurant serving nothing but spaghetti and meatballs.
don't forget pizza.

And stale french bread that they have repurposed as "Italian bread".

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq as well.
BBQ tends to be a more southern thing. Burgers and fries are staples across the country. The fine dining restaurants here usually advertise themselves as French.  :D
Interesting point. I supposed there isn't much of a fully developed "American" cuisine, as there is several regional cuisines. But the same could be said of many other allegedly national cuisines: they often represent only particular regions or particular styles.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Lousianian Jambalaya isn't too bad. It's rather good when you add sambal to it. Then again, almost everything is good when you add sambal to it.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
In our area, PA Dutch (German) cuisine is popular. I could live on pork sausage, saurkraut and mashed potatoes.

We call it PA Dutch because apparently we don't know the difference between the Dutch and Germans.  :laugh:

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
In our area, PA Dutch (German) cuisine is popular. I could live on pork sausage, saurkraut and mashed potatoes.

We call it PA Dutch because apparently we don't know the difference between the Dutch and Germans.  :laugh:
Well it's more because the German word for German is "Deutsch" (or "daitsch" in the PA Dutch dialect), and that sounds a lot more like "Dutch" than "German" so the PA Dutch's name for themselves got anglicized as Dutch.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
don't forget pizza.

Our Italians restaurants do not offer meatballs but rather pizza and pasta. Could be due to the fact that meatballs are part of regular Finnish cuisine.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
TheTrisagion said:

Well it's more because the German word for German is "Deutsch" (or "daitsch" in the PA Dutch dialect), and that sounds a lot more like "Dutch" than "German" so the PA Dutch's name for themselves got anglicized as Dutch.
lol, I know, but people outside of PA usually think it is because we are too stupid to know our own heritage.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I could live on pork sausage, saurkraut and mashed potatoes.
Same here. Don't forget to drown the latter two in gravy. It tastes better that way.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Jonathan Gress said:
TheTrisagion said:

lol, I know, but people outside of PA usually think it is because we are too stupid to know our own heritage.
Ah sorry. But my new question is: why on earth do we call Dutch, and not German, "Dutch"?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
TheTrisagion said:
Jonathan Gress said:
TheTrisagion said:

We call it PA Dutch because apparently we don't know the difference between the Dutch and Germans.  :laugh:
Ah sorry. But my new question is: why on earth do we call Dutch, and not German, "Dutch"?
Because the Dutch were closer to England than the Germans. You probably know the Germanic etymology of the word Dutch/Deutsch - i.e. the common/vulgar tongue in contrast to Latin. Up until the 17th century Dutch was called Duitsch, or more commonly Nederduitsch.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
French bread and Italian bread are two very different creatures. Anyone familiar with both would know.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
TheTrisagion said:
French bread and Italian bread are two very different creatures. Anyone familiar with both would know.
It's a joke, LBK. I wasn't serious.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Everybody knows that the Austrian kaiser rolls are the best type of bread in the world. Why bother with French or Italian bread?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would bother with white breads. A proper bread is made of rye.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
I don't know why anyone would bother with white breads. A proper bread is made of rye.
Some folks are physiologically intolerant to rye. Shall they be therefore deprived of the joys of bread?

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Alpo said:
Some folks are physiologically intolerant to rye. Shall they be therefore deprived of the joys of bread?
You have no sense of humor, do you?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
LBK said:
Alpo said:
You certainly don't. Alpo is Finnish, and I quite understand where he's coming from.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Rye bread is meant for horses. You aren't supposed to eat it yourself.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Jonathan Gress said:
LBK said:
Alpo said:
You certainly don't. Alpo is Finnish, and I quite understand where he's coming from.
nvm

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:
-2 respect points for you.

Rye tastes disgusting.
You obviously haven't had a proper rye bread. I live in Southern Finland and even here it's somewhat hard to come by with a proper bread. Just as the Sun of Righteousness rises from the East, as is the proper bread baked by Holy Orthodox matushkas in the East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_bread#Limppu

Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
Rye bread is meant for horses. You aren't supposed to eat it yourself.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:

Rye tastes disgusting.
You obviously haven't had a proper rye bread. I live in Southern Finland and even here it's somewhat hard to come by with a proper bread. Just as the Sun of Righteousness rises from the East, as is the proper bread baked by Holy Orthodox matushkas in the East.

That doesn't sound like the description of deliciousness to me!

This bread is dark, sour in taste, dense, heavy and comparatively dryish.
Now, here is the true test. Notice the lack of rye. Herein is proof that Rye is an inferior bread.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:

Rye tastes disgusting.

Was Trisagion thinking of American caraway-flavored "Jewish rye" when he said that? Or of the dense, sour Scandinavian rye?

Once my mom, an American who married a Dane, was serving a Danish lunch to an American guest, including a glass of Danish caraway-flavored aquavit. The guest remarked that the spirit tasted "like rye", thinking, I suppose, that it was the rye grain that provided the distinctive flavor in the rye bread he was familiar with.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Mor Ephrem said:
ZealousZeal said:
Justin Kissel said:
Wait, we're Justin too?
I greatly enjoyed this exchange. I chortled, then I laughed.
We aim to please.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:

Yeah, I lolled to the description too. Then again it's kind of apt. We are called to ascesis. It also reminds me of some Metal bands. Maybe that's why have so many Metal bands. Can't make any lighthearted music while eating bread like that.

Now, here is the true test. Notice the lack of rye. Herein is proof that Rye is an inferior bread.

"As seen on TV" :-X

Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
from the url

Looks like someone forgot to flush.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
TheTrisagion said:

Yeah, I lolled to the description too. Then again it's kind of apt. We are called to ascesis. It also reminds me of some Metal bands. Maybe that's why have so many Metal bands. Can't make any lighthearted music while eating bread like that.

"As seen on TV" :-X

Cyrillic said:
Alpo said:
from the url

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Reik%C3%A4leip%C3%
[/quote]

Looks like someone forgot to flush.
[/quote]

[/quote]
How dare you defame the bread gloves!!! We are not friends anymore.  >:(  :P

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
Remote area of Greece;

Little known by the world;

Even those who know about it don't quite know what goes on in there;

Preserves an ancient lifestyle long forgotten for centuries;

Everything seems from the past;

It's inhabitted by people of only one sex.

Expectation:

Reality:

J Michael

Toumarches
Reaction score
People's Soviet Socialist Republic of Marylan
Fabio Leite said:
Remote area of Greece;

Little known by the world;

Even those who know about it don't quite know what goes on in there;

Preserves an ancient lifestyle long forgotten for centuries;

Everything seems from the past;

It's inhabitted by people of only one sex.

Expectation:

Reality:
You have interesting expectations--cartoon women?!?!?!