• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
LBK said:
methodius said:
well, honest to gosh, JK, why didn't you have a good stiff drink.
or two or three.

Would've help sterilize the wound, too.
[Or do you live a "no booze allowed" State?]
If he did, he'd take ages to stop bleeding.
Not sure it matters, since per Maria, the girl flirting with him just wants to bleed him dry anyhow.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
DeniseDenise said:
LBK said:
methodius said:
well, honest to gosh, JK, why didn't you have a good stiff drink.
or two or three.

Would've help sterilize the wound, too.
[Or do you live a "no booze allowed" State?]
If he did, he'd take ages to stop bleeding.
Not sure it matters, since per Maria, the girl flirting with him just wants to bleed him dry anyhow.
Indeed.  ;)
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
DeniseDenise said:
LBK said:
methodius said:
well, honest to gosh, JK, why didn't you have a good stiff drink.
or two or three.

Would've help sterilize the wound, too.
[Or do you live a "no booze allowed" State?]
If he did, he'd take ages to stop bleeding.
Not sure it matters, since per Maria, the girl flirting with him just wants to bleed him dry anyhow.
Sure. Once again you manipulate words to harass.
I tire of your trite games, Denise.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
Maria said:
Justin Kissel said:
So today a girl I'd never met before somehow found a way to work into a fifty-second interaction I had with her that she was single, and pretty much set it up so I could ask her out without any chance of being shot down. I think I'm like most guys in that I am more on the 'oblivious' side of the Oblivious<--->Mind-reader scale, so it'd be nice if more girls were this clear about their interest 8)
Wow! You must have really impressed her.

One of my cousins met a couple of girls like this. They both took him to the cleaners after a quick marriage and divorce. After two annulments, he did not attempt to get married ever again.
Here are your words.

Your words and where you chose to place them, relate them to the story JK told

You did that. Not me.

Maybe someday you will learn the power of language usage, but that day does not appear to be today
 

methodius

Elder
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
479
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
77
Location
Vancouver
DD, your new avatar suggests that you might have some affiliation with the Masonic sorority. You have the set-square, but where are the compasses?

For the rest of you, be nice to her, lest on Hallowe'en you might regret it.
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
Justin Kissel said:
So today a girl I'd never met before somehow found a way to work into a fifty-second interaction I had with her that she was single, and pretty much set it up so I could ask her out without any chance of being shot down. I think I'm like most guys in that I am more on the 'oblivious' side of the Oblivious<--->Mind-reader scale, so it'd be nice if more girls were this clear about their interest 8)
Wow! You must have really impressed her.

One of my cousins met a couple of girls like this. They both took him to the cleaners after a quick marriage and divorce. After two annulments, he did not attempt to get married ever again.
Here are your words.

Your words and where you chose to place them, relate them to the story JK told

You did that. Not me.

Maybe someday you will learn the power of language usage, but that day does not appear to be today
Actually, it is you who has misused the power of language.

Telling a similar story =/= stating that said woman will do same thing
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
JamesR said:
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
Justin Kissel said:
So today a girl I'd never met before somehow found a way to work into a fifty-second interaction I had with her that she was single, and pretty much set it up so I could ask her out without any chance of being shot down. I think I'm like most guys in that I am more on the 'oblivious' side of the Oblivious<--->Mind-reader scale, so it'd be nice if more girls were this clear about their interest 8)
Wow! You must have really impressed her.

One of my cousins met a couple of girls like this. They both took him to the cleaners after a quick marriage and divorce. After two annulments, he did not attempt to get married ever again.
Here are your words.

Your words and where you chose to place them, relate them to the story JK told

You did that. Not me.

Maybe someday you will learn the power of language usage, but that day does not appear to be today
Actually, it is you who has misused the power of language.

Telling a similar story =/= stating that said woman will do same thing

There was this boy, who was always on the defensive, because he was short.


You are short are you not James?



 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
DeniseDenise said:
JamesR said:
DeniseDenise said:
Maria said:
Justin Kissel said:
So today a girl I'd never met before somehow found a way to work into a fifty-second interaction I had with her that she was single, and pretty much set it up so I could ask her out without any chance of being shot down. I think I'm like most guys in that I am more on the 'oblivious' side of the Oblivious<--->Mind-reader scale, so it'd be nice if more girls were this clear about their interest 8)
Wow! You must have really impressed her.

One of my cousins met a couple of girls like this. They both took him to the cleaners after a quick marriage and divorce. After two annulments, he did not attempt to get married ever again.
Here are your words.

Your words and where you chose to place them, relate them to the story JK told

You did that. Not me.

Maybe someday you will learn the power of language usage, but that day does not appear to be today
Actually, it is you who has misused the power of language.

Telling a similar story =/= stating that said woman will do same thing

There was this boy, who was always on the defensive, because he was short.


You are short are you not James?
Yes; I am short. However, from a logician's view, there is no explicit connection between your statements and I, unless you make it so. You cannot with total certainty connect A to B. You'd have to add "and that boy was you" or something along those lines.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
For an English major, they sure haven't covered much in class.

im·pli·ca·tion
ˌimpləˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
1.
the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated.
"the implication is that no one person at the bank is responsible"
synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation
"he was smarting at their implication"
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Someone studied logic 101 and is a bit big for his britches.
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
DeniseDenise said:
For an English major, they sure haven't covered much in class.

im·pli·ca·tion
ˌimpləˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
1.
the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated.
"the implication is that no one person at the bank is responsible"
synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation
"he was smarting at their implication"
Implication isn't ironclad proof, although it can suggest something. I also like to study law and have aspired to be a lawyer.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,281
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Maria said:
One of my cousins met a couple of girls like this. They both took him to the cleaners after a quick marriage and divorce. After two annulments, he did not attempt to get married ever again.
Why would those women take your cousin to the cleaners AFTER the marriage and divorce?  I understand why they would go after the marriage, since honeymoons can get pretty messy and perhaps you can't just throw everything into a standard washing machine, but why would they still launder together after the divorce?  You'd think they'd prefer to stay away from one another.  
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
JamesR said:
DeniseDenise said:
For an English major, they sure haven't covered much in class.

im·pli·ca·tion
ˌimpləˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
1.
the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated.
"the implication is that no one person at the bank is responsible"
synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation
"he was smarting at their implication"
Implication isn't ironclad proof, although it can suggest something.
Ring a ding ding.....give the boy a treat.


Maria IMPLIED something.

I called her on it.


 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
DeniseDenise said:
JamesR said:
DeniseDenise said:
For an English major, they sure haven't covered much in class.

im·pli·ca·tion
ˌimpləˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
1.
the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated.
"the implication is that no one person at the bank is responsible"
synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation
"he was smarting at their implication"
Implication isn't ironclad proof, although it can suggest something.
Ring a ding ding.....give the boy a treat.


Maria IMPLIED something.

I called her on it.
No; you accused her of it. A more logical thing to do would be to question her--"did you mean to imply X?" but instead you jumped to a conclusion and accused her of something that may not be true. It is not very ladylike and is downright mean. Assuming you're married, your husband may divorce you for such meanness. Tread vigilantly.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
JamesR said:
No; you accused her of it. A more logical thing to do would be to question her--"did you mean to imply X?" but instead you jumped to a conclusion and accused her of something that may not be true. It is not very ladylike and is downright mean. Assuming you're married, your husband may divorce you for such meanness. Tread vigilantly.

Never fear.....if he were ever to do that....I would get more than half of the assets.....


But thanks for worrying about me.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
267
Points
83
Age
41
methodius said:
JK, getting back to your original statement, tell us; did you or didn't you?
I didn't think it best for either person to be dating one another at this time, so I didn't ask her out (the diplomatically-worded answer  8) ) I did appreciate the gesture though.
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Justin Kissel said:
DeniseDenise said:
all this fooling around...


just hand your wife a hammer and some pliers.


;D
Maybe the worst pain I ever felt was a dentist trying to pull a tooth from the back when the numbing stuff hadn't worked. Land O Lakes that left me wanting to die all night. Don't tell Trisag though, or he won't fix his problem. (I am writing in maroon because, his actually being a maroon, he can't read this color, and will think I just accidentally forgot to add a response to your quote above).
Justin, was there supposed to be a response here?  ???  ;D
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,274
Reaction score
161
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Arachne said:
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
What is RE?
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,274
Reaction score
161
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
What is RE?
Religious Education. You don't get it over there?
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Arachne said:
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
What is RE?
Religious Education. You don't get it over there?
LOL, in school?  Not hardly!  Separation of Church and State and all that is a big deal. A teacher so much as reading a Bible in school would cause a lawsuit and possibly them losing their job.
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,274
Reaction score
161
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
What is RE?
Religious Education. You don't get it over there?
LOL, in school?  Not hardly!  Separation of Church and State and all that is a big deal. A teacher so much as reading a Bible in school would cause a lawsuit and possibly them losing their job.
I'll refrain from characterisation. ::) Here it's crucial. Comparative, of course, not catechistic. With several religious backgrounds per class, kids need to at least get a clue about who celebrates what and why they behave in this or that manner.

The boy is frustratingly vague about the academic element at school, but I think this term's RE focus is about serenity in Christianity and Buddhism.
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
0
Points
36
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
What is RE?
Religious Education. You don't get it over there?
LOL, in school?  Not hardly!  Separation of Church and State and all that is a big deal. A teacher so much as reading a Bible in school would cause a lawsuit and possibly them losing their job.
My middle and high schools did have after-school Bible clubs which were led by a teacher.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,505
Reaction score
267
Points
83
Age
41
I don't know how much things have changed, but fwiw I had a 'World Cultures' class in Junior High (early 90s) and I remember it covering religions pretty well/openly. I can't imagine there being a ton of specific religion classes though.
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
We do have after school Bible clubs in our district, but they aren't led by teachers and they are not on school grounds. They go to a nearby church. My wife used to lead one of them. I don't think there are any comparative religion courses either.  Here is a common opinion in the US on religion classes.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/03/03/why-comparative-religion-class/
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,274
Reaction score
161
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Important detail: My son is in Year 2 (6 years old). He's had a field trip to a Catholic church already. British society doesn't have a reputation for religiosity, but between religious pluralism and institutions like the daily school assembly, kids get a fairly rounded background.
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Arachne said:
Important detail: My son is in Year 2 (6 years old). He's had a field trip to a Catholic church already. British society doesn't have a reputation for religiosity, but between religious pluralism and institutions like the daily school assembly, kids get a fairly rounded background.
My daughter is 8 and she has already come home and told us that she is not allowed to pray in school.  Supposedly, it is permissible for children to make private prayers since they are not acting as agents of the state in that capacity, but it appears that not all schools get that memo.  :-\
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Nope, I just tell her to mind her own business and if someone says something, she can tell them to discuss it with her parents. I haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm not a moral crusader out to change the world.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,281
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
TheTrisagion said:
Nope, I just tell her to mind her own business and if someone says something, she can tell them to discuss it with her parents. I haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm not a moral crusader out to change the world.
But your avatar!
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
Arachne said:
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
TheTrisagion said:
Arachne said:
My son came out of school today with an award certificate for 'outstanding contribution in RE'. It was all I could do not to fistpump right there in playground. ;D
What is RE?
Religious Education. You don't get it over there?
LOL, in school?  Not hardly!  Separation of Church and State and all that is a big deal. A teacher so much as reading a Bible in school would cause a lawsuit and possibly them losing their job.
I'll refrain from characterisation. ::) Here it's crucial. Comparative, of course, not catechistic. With several religious backgrounds per class, kids need to at least get a clue about who celebrates what and why they behave in this or that manner.

The boy is frustratingly vague about the academic element at school, but I think this term's RE focus is about serenity in Christianity and Buddhism.
I had to take a mandatory World Religions class for Sophomore year of High School; it was pretty enjoyable and mostly consisted of briefly going through the big three religions and their primary schools of thought, and then the Far Eastern ones like Hinduism and Buddhism. We never went too far into a single religion. I found it a rather edifying, fun experience. Mostly because I didn't do any of the studying but still passed the testing anyway. Thank you OC.net for teaching me about religion!
 
Top