Random Postings

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
William said:
How come Oskar Schindler, who fornicated regularly and was not particularly religious, did such heroic deeds? Does that prove that following Christ is not necessary for goodness?
Heroic?

Turn off the Spielberg.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
William said:
How come Oskar Schindler, who fornicated regularly and was not particularly religious, did such heroic deeds? Does that prove that following Christ is not necessary for goodness?
Heroic?

Turn off the Spielberg.
Is rescuing a thousand people not heroic?  ???

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
William said:
orthonorm said:
William said:
Heroic?

Turn off the Spielberg.
Do you like potatoes?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
William, it doesn't answer your question, but have you ever heard of this guy?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara
I have. I also greatly admire Metropolitan Chysostomos of Zakynthos who, when asked by the Nazis for a list of all the Jews on Zakynthos, gave them a piece of paper with only his name on it.

I guess it's the exclusivism of Christianity's claims that I'm struggling with. It's pretty obvious that Christianity can make people better, but is it really the most effective way? Are good people outside of Christianity really only good in spite of their heathenry?

orthonorm said:
William said:
orthonorm said:
William said:
Heroic?

Turn off the Spielberg.
Do you like potatoes?
Mostly.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
If humans were created in the image of a good God, we should expect them to do good things at least once in a while. I think it would be more of a problem for Christianity if unbelievers never did good at all. It would mean we were even more depraved than Scripture ever indicates.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
William said:
I would say that the ideal for man is Christ. However that is not to say that people cannot be good without Christ. The post-Christian worldview allows atheists to be "good" but in the framework of atheism both good and evil can be permissible.

However I wouldn't reduce Christianity to just a moral compass.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Elohim," the name for the creative power in Genesis, is a female plural, a fact that generations of learned rabbis and Christian theologians have all explained as merely grammatical convention. The King James and most other Bibles translate it as "God," but if you take the grammar literally, it seems to mean "goddesses." Al Shaddai, god of battles, appears later, and YHWH, mispronounced Jehovah, later still. ~ Robert Anton Wilson

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
"Elohim," the name for the creative power in Genesis, is a female plural, a fact that generations of learned rabbis and Christian theologians have all explained as merely grammatical convention. The King James and most other Bibles translate it as "God," but if you take the grammar literally, it seems to mean "goddesses." Al Shaddai, god of battles, appears later, and YHWH, mispronounced Jehovah, later still. ~ Robert Anton Wilson
RAW?

Paging Babalon . . .

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Achronos said:
RAW?

Paging Babalon . . .
Thank you for calling Babylon, this is Hammurabi speaking.  How may I help you?

Reaction score
orthonorm said:
William said:
orthonorm said:
William said:
Heroic?

Turn off the Spielberg.
Do you like potatoes?
I do, especially when they are made into french fries.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Anybody want a Purple Heart? There's blank surplus ones for sale.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=32976

That is......bizarre, yet not completely unexpected. They made something like 3-500000 of them for the Marines who were supposed to invade Japan in WWII, but then we dropped the a-bomb. We're still giving those medals out today.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
primuspilus said:
In other news, I am officially old. I found a 4 inch long gray hair in my ear......thanks geritol!

PP
The first time I saw a gray hair, I thought the hairbrush was broken.  :)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
primuspilus said:
christian7777 said:
John Kerry got 3 Purple Hearts in Vietnam.
It takes a brave guy to hurt yourself.

PP
He was hurting himself 10 times a day.  Instant section 8.

FMJ, I love you.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
primuspilus said:
In other news, I am officially old. I found a 4 inch long gray hair in my ear......thanks geritol!

PP
You don't want to know what *I* thought might be broken when I say my first gray hair.

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
biro said:
primuspilus said:

PP
You don't want to know what *I* thought might be broken when I say my first gray hair.
You read more like Pasadi every day.