Random Postings

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
FrChris said:
ironchapman said:
So, a university transit bus caught fire and exploded on campus yesterday. No one hurt. Only casualty was my faith in the campus transit system.

A couple of videos (a little NSFW language--people are really surprised)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDlZbTyM-3M

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyXmVw_mvVo (about 1:30 will get you close to the explosions)

It was one of our newer natural gas buses. If it had been diesel, it could have really been a problem. Diesel would have been like a bomb going off.
Yeah, no fooling...vehicle fires are a big deal. The fire department that I am currently serving with is spending all their time on structural firefighting, but the vehicle fires are more numerous and have the potential of explosions like we see ....and much, much worse.
Indeed. Are you a chaplain or are you actually a firefighter?

Anyways, I saw the site of the fire. Ground scorched, trees were a little charred, asphalt was messed up in places, and a stop sign was melted. Pretty intense.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I've recently wanted to get into the old Phantom comics. I ordered a collection of the early 60s Gold Key run from Amazon.

I hear he's big in Scandinavia. Any fans on the board.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters in XC,
These coming six weeks I will dedicate to alms-giving, hesychia and ascetic feats of various sorts. Just wanted you to know, in case you wondered.
Pray for me a sinner and forgive me.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
These coming six weeks I will dedicate to alms-giving, hesychia and ascetic feats of various sorts. Just wanted you to know, in case you wondered.
I love you, fwiw.

Seth84

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
:laugh:

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
No mention of "bourgeois"? I want the old augustin back.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Glad to report a pretty high fasting and alms giving level so far. Still working on seeing the uncreated light more clearly, though.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Glad to report a pretty high fasting and alms giving level so far. Still working on seeing the uncreated light more clearly, though.
Let us know when you reach that. Maybe you could become Patron Saint of OC.net.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been really good on not debating with atheists for months now. I considered it to be a complete waste of time. Anyway I was having an argument with someone regarding Obama's use of kensyian economics which devolved into a debate about God (which is really no surprise since not a single atheist can stay on point) said he was an atheist and chirped this quote:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Siddhartha Gautama

I don't know whether my facepalm hurt more or my insides from laughing so hard. I logged off and read Sirach instead.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
So, a university transit bus caught fire and exploded on campus yesterday. No one hurt. Only casualty was my faith in the campus transit system.

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyXmVw_mvVo (about 1:30 will get you close to the explosions)

It was one of our newer natural gas buses. If it had been diesel, it could have really been a problem. Diesel would have been like a bomb going off.
Diesel has a higher combustion rate than NG?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Siddhartha Gautama
I wonder if this is really an authentic quote from Gautama? Or even an authentic part of traditional Buddhism in it's many variations?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Achronos said:
I wonder if this is really an authentic quote from Gautama? Or even an authentic part of traditional Buddhism in it's many variations?
Check the Gautama Seminar edition of his works. All of the words he actually said are written in lotus.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ironchapman said:

Diesel has a higher combustion rate than NG?
I've had this corrected for me. It doesn't. The main problem with a diesel bus (and it would have caught fire) is that the fuel would have seeped into the pond nearby creating an environmental hazard.

FountainPen

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
FountainPen said:
I bought myself an ironic T. Does that make me hipster now?
Describe your haircut. What are your feelings on bowties? Do you own a pair of Wayfarers?
Tousled.
A bowtie is okay, depending on who is accompanying the bowtie.
No.

Am i hipsta' yet?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
So I've been really good on not debating with atheists for months now. I considered it to be a complete waste of time. Anyway I was having an argument with someone regarding Obama's use of kensyian economics which devolved into a debate about God (which is really no surprise since not a single atheist can stay on point) said he was an atheist and chirped this quote:

I don't know whether my facepalm hurt more or my insides from laughing so hard. I logged off and read Sirach instead.
Did they not realize who they were quoting or were they one of those atheists with an oriental religions fetish?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
[url=http://tyler.rasmussen.name.s80883.gridserver.com/luther/]Lutheran Insulter[/url] said:
You should rightly be called lawyers for asses.

From On the Councils and the Church, pg. 158 of Luther's Works, Vol. 41