• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Sleepless in Helsinki. It's 3am and I am still awake. Should be at work at 8am. Can't wait for the lousy jokes I'll crack at work due to being too tired for any rational or civilized behaviour.
I thought all you Finns hibernated during winter.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:
His DNA must be preserved. Imagine finding the gene that helps counter the harmful effects of smoking! I would be having my daily sheesha :p
Get thee behind me, Mina!  I used to enjoy an occasional cigar (and I wouldn't turn down a hit on the shisha) before an Ethiopian geron I respect very much told me that smoking was like spitting in the face of God.  Needless to say, I quit cold turkey.

Jonathan Gress said:
Here is the piece about George Burns. I don't think it's really meant to be taken seriously, but the author does make the extraordinary claim that Burns lived so long precisely because he smoked so many cigars. The argument seems to be "Burns smokes lots of cigars. Burns is very old. Ergo, cigar smoking caused Burns' longevity".
Thanks for that!  It was worth the read even if it wasn't necessarily medically accurate.  George Burns interviewed by Groucho's son and served by one of Jack Benny's writers!  In a word: charming.  :)
It just occurred to me that the causation could run the other way: living a long time may cause one to smoke lots of cigars.
So do you think he started smoking at 80?

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:
His DNA must be preserved. Imagine finding the gene that helps counter the harmful effects of smoking! I would be having my daily sheesha :p
Get thee behind me, Mina!  I used to enjoy an occasional cigar (and I wouldn't turn down a hit on the shisha) before an Ethiopian geron I respect very much told me that smoking was like spitting in the face of God.  Needless to say, I quit cold turkey.

Jonathan Gress said:
Here is the piece about George Burns. I don't think it's really meant to be taken seriously, but the author does make the extraordinary claim that Burns lived so long precisely because he smoked so many cigars. The argument seems to be "Burns smokes lots of cigars. Burns is very old. Ergo, cigar smoking caused Burns' longevity".
Thanks for that!  It was worth the read even if it wasn't necessarily medically accurate.  George Burns interviewed by Groucho's son and served by one of Jack Benny's writers!  In a word: charming.  :)
It just occurred to me that the causation could run the other way: living a long time may cause one to smoke lots of cigars.
I know for a fact he started smoking much earlier. I was simply playing with the whole "correlation = causation" premise of the article I linked to.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:

Jonathan Gress said:
I know for a fact he started smoking much earlier. I was simply playing with the whole "correlation = causation" premise of the article I linked to.
Oh yes...but you can tell, he was also very very active.  He said he was almost 100 when he quit his furniture work.  It seems to me what a lot of centenarians have in common is that they were not sedentary.  That says a lot!

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
His, the DNA of Keith Richards, and of Iggy Pop.  ;D

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:

Jonathan Gress said:
Oh yes...but you can tell, he was also very very active.  He said he was almost 100 when he quit his furniture work.  It seems to me what a lot of centenarians have in common is that they were not sedentary.  That says a lot!
Good point, though one could nit-pick and argue that their genes for longevity are what allowed them to remain physically active so late in life.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:

Jonathan Gress said:
Good point, though one could nit-pick and argue that their genes for longevity are what allowed them to remain physically active so late in life.
Which is precisely why I want his DNA  ;D

There's a saying in the medical community.  You either die from complications of something vascular (heart attack, stroke, etc.) or you live long enough (or short enough) to find yourself have cancer.  Centenarians have neither, and you will also find they take very little meds.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
minasoliman said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
minasoliman said:

Jonathan Gress said:
Which is precisely why I want his DNA  ;D

There's a saying in the medical community.  You either die from complications of something vascular (heart attack, stroke, etc.) or you live long enough (or short enough) to find yourself have cancer.  Centenarians have neither, and you will also find they take very little meds.
Except centenarians also die, possibly of old age.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
How moronic is TV where there are shows about people watching shows from the same network?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Alpo said:
Sleepless in Helsinki. It's 3am and I am still awake. Should be at work at 8am. Can't wait for the lousy jokes I'll crack at work due to being too tired for any rational or civilized behaviour.
I wish... weeks and weeks of sleep sounds awesome.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Alpo said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Alpo said:
I wish... weeks and weeks of sleep sounds awesome.
Yeah. Bears are awesome but polar bears are the best.  :)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Finland in June.

j/k, it is actually in Montana. I took a vacaction there.  It was awesome!

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
... indeed...!
but just wait until after the autumnal equinox; [6 weeks ago] - you might wonder where the sun has gone.
{not bad for night fishing of course}

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
==== slightly different topic====
when is the feast-day of St. Nicholas of Myra?
(Orthodox, not Latin, that is)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
methodius said:
==== slightly different topic====
when is the feast-day of St. Nicholas of Myra?
(Orthodox, not Latin, that is)
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Nicholas_of_Myra

"St. Nicholas is commemorated by the Church on December 6, and also on May 9 (the transfer of his relics) and on July 29 (his nativity)."

Chiere

High Elder
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Hello! I am back from my vacation (from posting)! How is everyone today?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
What's with the Cyrillic's new avarar? Is that part of some Dutch Advent tradition or something?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
My long personal nightmare is over. Or is it... today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Either way works I guess. Also, I am not a crook.

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
You should be thinking in terms of the new world MORdor.
Has a nice Ring to it.
sort of 'binding' I've heard......

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
My long personal nightmare is over. Or is it... today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Either way works I guess. Also, I am not a crook.
This sounds like more explanation is needed.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Justin Kissel said:
Hmmmmm...I am thinking dating a Nixon?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
TheTrisagion said:
Justin Kissel said:
Hmmmmm...I am thinking dating a Nixon?
Nixon's granddaughter:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
So what if I am? We have nothing to fear but Nixon himself. Four score and seven days ago I promised to land a date with her before the end of this decade. And so I have. I will not yield, I will not stand down, I will not cancel my dinner reservations.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Request: could some mad scientist please replace spiders with non-living, tree-top, robot versions of spiders that fulfill the same positive role in nature, thus paving the way for the complete extermination of real spiders? Thanks!

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Justin Kissel said:
Request: could some mad scientist please replace spiders with non-living, tree-top, robot versions of spiders that fulfill the same positive role in nature, thus paving the way for the complete extermination of real spiders? Thanks!
I concur.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
biro said:
Justin Kissel said:
I concur.
On the way:

http://www.gizmag.com/t8x-tarantula-robot/29775/

Robugtix has been hard at work fulfilling orders for its T8 tarantula robot that debuted earlier this year, as well as showing off its lifelike motion engine in a new video. Now the company has also announced a much cheaper version of the robot called the T8X which can be pre-ordered for a fraction of the cost of the original.