• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Porter ODoran said:
Why does the entire English-speaking world, including her dictionaries, refuse properly to pronounce fuchsia?
What's the proper pronunciation?
It's pretty easy to tell. It's a Latin word from a German surname. Dictionary.com can't pull the wool over my eyes. ;)

Also -- extra hint -- even in English at no time does "chs" say "sh."

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Porter ODoran said:
Why does the entire English-speaking world, including her dictionaries, refuse properly to pronounce fuchsia?
Um, I don't think we need to go into detail on that.  :-[

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
Porter, if 'the entire English [speaking?] world' says it one way and you say it another, has it occurred to you that you might be wrong?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Cyrillic said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Porter ODoran said:
Fuck-see-ah
According to whom?
Me, I guess. That's how I've always heard it pronounced. If it supposed to be German it might be closer to Fook-see-ah.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Porter ODoran said:
It's pretty easy to tell. It's a Latin word from a German surname. Dictionary.com can't pull the wool over my eyes. ;)

I suppose you pronounce all borrowed words in the same way as they were pronounced in their source languages?

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Cyrillic said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Porter ODoran said:
Fuck-see-ah
According to whom?
Me, I guess. That's how I've always heard it pronounced. If it supposed to be German it might be closer to Fook-see-ah.
The dictionary pronunciation is "fyoo-shuh" and that's how I pronounce it. If I wanted to pronounce it like German I would use the German word Fuchsie.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I wonder if some taboo deformation isn't responsible for the English pronunciation, however. It seems to have been borrowed too late to undergo all the necessary sound changes to get the form we have today.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Porter ODoran said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Porter ODoran said:

I suppose you pronounce all borrowed words in the same way as they were pronounced in their source languages?
There are conventions for adapting foreign words into English. "Fuksha" would be a normal adaptation. There might be others. No way no how could "Foosha" be the result of normal adaptation -- in neither the source languages nor in English is "chs" pronounced "sh."

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
I wonder if some taboo deformation isn't responsible for the English pronunciation, however. It seems to have been borrowed too late to undergo all the necessary sound changes to get the form we have today.
Well of course that's what it is. Nobody in this strange and squeamish country wants to pronounce the first syllable the obvious way.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Jonathan Gress said:
Well of course that's what it is. Nobody in this strange and squeamish country wants to pronounce the first syllable the obvious way.
Do you enjoy the looks you get when you pronounce it "properly"?  ;D

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I can't wait until the keyboard for my kindle gets here, this putting in letters one tedious tap at a time is getting really frustrating. Plus I have a virus on my main computer, which is causing it to be more frustrating to use as well.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I went to see a Jewish play today. I really liked it. It made me think yet again that I need to read something about Judaism at some point. Jews are part of European history after all  so it's a shame really that I know hardly anything about their religion.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
On the NC, today is the feast of St. Barbara - she's been one of my favorites since middle school.

Happy name's day to any Barbaras we have here!

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Im going to do it, im going to open my own restaurant

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Korean pop star Psy has received so many views on YouTube that Google had to recode their website from 32 bit integers (which was good for only 2.1 billion views) to 64 bit integers.  Now Psy is good for 922 quintillion views - which will probably be reached by 2017 or thereabouts   :p ....

Justin beat me to it with Reply No. 22,952; however, I provided more details.  :laugh:

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
SolEX01 said:
Korean pop star Psy has received so many views on YouTube that Google had to recode their website from 32 bit integers (which was good for only 2.1 billion views) to 64 bit integers.  Now Psy is good for 922 quintillion 9.22 sextillion views - which will probably be reached by 2017 or thereabouts   :p ....

Justin beat me to it with Reply No. 22,952; however, I provided more details.   :laugh:
Need to work on math.  :-[

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
SolEX01 said:
SolEX01 said:
Korean pop star Psy has received so many views on YouTube that Google had to recode their website from 32 bit integers (which was good for only 2.1 billion views) to 64 bit integers.  Now Psy is good for 922 quintillion 9.22 sextillion 9.22 quintillion views - which will probably be reached by 2017 or thereabouts   :p ....

Justin beat me to it with Reply No. 22,952; however, I provided more details.   :laugh:
Need to work on math.   :-[
Arrgghhh, 9.22 quintillion.  :-[

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
biro said:
TheMathematician said:
Congratulations! :)
Thank you, and lots of planning still but it's going to happen
SolEX01 said:
TheMathematician said:
Will it be mathematically themed?
hecma925 said:
TheMathematician said:
What kind?
I'm looking at the trends and it looks like locally grown produce and freshly grown is the hottest trend now, along with fusion cuisine.

As long as it's local, the food itself will eb the star with if someone wants a classic bouillabaisse with a side of fried rice, then that's what'll happen

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
In addition, my aim is to make fine dining accessible to the middle class. Rich dress code and food without as high food costs, if possible.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
David Koyzis, a noted political science professor, has a blog where he identifies himself as a "Byzantine Rite Calvinist". What exactly that means, I don't know.

If you follow the Regulative Principle it's hard to see how much of the distinctive Byzantine (or Latin, or Armenian, or Coptic) liturgical patrimony can possibly remain once you've sheared off everything that isn't "specifically commanded in Scripture" (or rather, Scripture interpreted through the prism of Westminster, Dordt, the Institutes, or whatever).

So what, exactly, is a Byzantine Rite Calvinist?

methodius

Elder
Reaction score
.....probably a prot. who gets incensed at icons [ or who does the censing.]
And Calvin, by the way, is[was] a vegetarian.
When he was angry, his 'choler' arose and he became a leafy green vegetable, somewhat on the overdone side.
Swiss chard

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
David Koyzis, a noted political science professor, has a blog where he identifies himself as a "Byzantine Rite Calvinist". What exactly that means, I don't know.

If you follow the Regulative Principle it's hard to see how much of the distinctive Byzantine (or Latin, or Armenian, or Coptic) liturgical patrimony can possibly remain once you've sheared off everything that isn't "specifically commanded in Scripture" (or rather, Scripture interpreted through the prism of Westminster, Dordt, the Institutes, or whatever).

My best guess would be that he's assuming that the early Jerusalem church would have wanted to replicate the Temple worship as closely as possible and that this somehow evolved into the Byzantine liturgy.

I think I respect that position more than I do Phil Johnson's attempt to use the Didache as a justification for Evangelical minimalism, but it still seems dodgy.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Someone who is seriously confused.

I'm NOT being flippant.

R

Raylight

I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Raylight said:
I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D
always preferred Tim Horton's compared to the base of anything starbucks had. and for fancy drinks, Wegmans/SPoT is superior

R

Raylight

TheMathematician said:
Raylight said:
I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D
always preferred Tim Horton's compared to the base of anything starbucks had. and for fancy drinks, Wegmans/SPoT is superior
The first day I came here, my friends told me I have to switch from Starbuck to Tim Horton's. I might try it tomorrow.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:
TheMathematician said:
Raylight said:
I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D
The first day I came here, my friends told me I have to switch from Starbuck to Tim Horton's. I might try it tomorrow.
Wait, you don't live in Yemen?

R

Raylight

Porter ODoran said:
Raylight said:
TheMathematician said:
Raylight said:
Wait, you don't live in Yemen?

Yemen!!!! Why do you think I live in Yemen ?!?! And to answer your question, no, I'm not from Yemen.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I suppose when you kept telling us you can't go to church and can't divulge your native language I came to think you lived in Saudi Arabia or someplace like that.

R

Raylight

Porter ODoran said:
I suppose when you kept telling us you can't go to church and can't divulge your native language I came to think you lived in Saudi Arabia or someplace like that.

Yes, I did live in a country where converting to Christianity is a social crime but not a legal crime.  And it wasn't okay to go to a church and convert, because it would cause a lot of issues. However, I had the freedom to practice my faith privately.