Reaction score
John of the North said:
ZealousZeal said:
biro said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
ZealousZeal said:
The red X!
Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)
Your new llama avatar is cute. Makes me want to go to the zoo.  :)
Thank you! I don't know if it's a llama or an alpaca, to be honest. I say llama, but who knows. It is pretty much the most precious little hooved creature I've ever seen.
It is indeed an alpaca.
How can you tell? Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't know how to distinguish the two other than size... And I can't see this guy's from the picture.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
John of the North said:
ZealousZeal said:
biro said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
ZealousZeal said:
The red X!
Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)
Your new llama avatar is cute. Makes me want to go to the zoo.  :)
Thank you! I don't know if it's a llama or an alpaca, to be honest. I say llama, but who knows. It is pretty much the most precious little hooved creature I've ever seen.
It is indeed an alpaca.
How can you tell? Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't know how to distinguish the two other than size... And I can't see this guy's from the picture.
He has a short snout and a more roundish face in general, his ears are also on the shorter side and they are straight--llama ears bend inwards and are called "banana ears". Llamas also tend to look more like their cousin, the camel in the face.

Alpaca: http://www.sandhillalpacas.com/images/Faith%20a%20Litening.jpg

Llama: http://www.deviantart.com/download/33415948/128___Llama_by_kitsune_oni_stocks.jpg

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
John of the North said:
ZealousZeal said:
John of the North said:
ZealousZeal said:
biro said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
ZealousZeal said:
The red X!
Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)
Your new llama avatar is cute. Makes me want to go to the zoo.  :)
It is indeed an alpaca.
He has a short snout and a more roundish face in general, his ears are also on the shorter side and they are straight--llama ears bend inwards and are called "banana ears". Llamas also tend to look more like their cousin, the camel in the face.

Alpaca: http://www.sandhillalpacas.com/images/Faith%20a%20Litening.jpg

Llama: http://www.deviantart.com/download/33415948/128___Llama_by_kitsune_oni_stocks.jpg
Awesome! Thanks for explaining. You learn something new every day.

kevlev

Site Supporter
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Surely none can be as precious as this little one?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Can't the moderators please keep this thread on topic?!
Define "on topic" as that relates to this thread. ;)
You have to ask?  People are talking about linguistics!  How dare they?  How is that "random"?  Sounds kind of "purposeful" to me!
If someone wants to actually start a meaningful discussion here, he needs to open a new thread for that somewhere else. :police: Let's keep this thread meaningless. :D

Gosh guys, it was a joke! Did anyone not get that? ???
Yes, I got the joke. The joke is on you now. :laugh:

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
kevlev said:
ZealousZeal said:
Oh... wow... yeah...

I gotta be honest, "precious" wasn't the word that immediately sprang to mind when I saw that. More like: "Horrific", "Frightful", "Holy **** what is that thing?"

:p

kevlev

Site Supporter
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
kevlev said:
ZealousZeal said:
Oh... wow... yeah...

I gotta be honest, "precious" wasn't the word that immediately sprang to mind when I saw that. More like: "Horrific", "Frightful", "Holy **** what is that thing?"

Not quite sure, actually... I can only assume it's one of those mythical creatures that greet you when you reach the end of the Internet. Sorry for traumatizing you!

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
kevlev said:
ZealousZeal said:
kevlev said:
ZealousZeal said:
Oh... wow... yeah...

Not quite sure, actually... I can only assume it's one of those mythical creatures that greet you when you reach the end of the Internet. Sorry for traumatizing you!
It's cool, no trauma. Besides, my avatar is like ever-ready brain bleach. That is one cute alpaca. Also, if that's what's waiting for me at the end of the internet, I hope I never find it!

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
ZealousZeal said:
kevlev said:
ZealousZeal said:
kevlev said:
ZealousZeal said:
Oh... wow... yeah...

It's cool, no trauma. Besides, my avatar is like ever-ready brain bleach. That is one cute alpaca. Also, if that's what's waiting for me at the end of the internet, I hope I never find it!
That makes me wonder how tasty alpaca meat is.....

PP

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
I HATE TOOTHACHES! :mad:
No more toothache... No more aching tooth...
Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.

As an added bonus, I got a healthy blood pressure reading of 118/73, which looks even better when you consider that I was experiencing some pre-extraction nervous tension at the time.

Reaction score
ironchapman said:
akimori makoto said:
ironchapman said:
akimori makoto said:
ironchapman said:
akimori makoto said:
ironchapman said:
vamrat said:
akimori makoto said:
Americans have a tendency to try to "standardise" the pronunciation of English with little regard for etymological quirks and the like. I say, we should all just accept that English is inconistent and there is often little clue in the spelling of a word as to how it should pronounced.

Dictionary.com, while not the most reputable source, lists buh-nal, -nahl, beyn-l as acceptable.

Anyway, I have only ever heard buh-NAHL, never BEYN-l.
We are all going to have to agree that English spoken in different parts of the world are in fact different languages.  Like Chinese, they are still written the same, but spoken entirely differently.  I've never heard buh-NAHL, always pronounced it BEYN-l!
I posed the pronunciation question on my Twitter account. Every response I got back was the "beyn-l/bay-nul" version.
The real question is, how do you pronounce aluminium?
Al-loo-min-um. We spell it aluminum. No second i here.
Just like radum, calcum, beryllum and potassum?
More like centre and center or programme and program. Just a regional spelling variation.

Or, from Webster's Dictionary here and here.

Is this some sort of sticking point for you? Sounds sort of like it.
It doesn't upset me, I just think it sounds funny, as immature as that might be.

Whichever side is more "correct", I'm not sure that adding or removing an entire syllable from a word counts as a "regional spelling variation"!
I think you get my point about the variation stuff.

In any case, on the subject of immaturity, I always thought "aluminium" sounded rather effeminate. :p
Are you imagining it in your head being said by someone with a rather toff English accent?

Reaction score
vamrat said:
PeterTheAleut said:
vamrat said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Can't the moderators please keep this thread on topic?!
Define "on topic" as that relates to this thread. ;)
You have to ask?  People are talking about linguistics!  How dare they?  How is that "random"?  Sounds kind of "purposeful" to me!
If someone wants to actually start a meaningful discussion here, he needs to open a new thread for that somewhere else. :police: Let's keep this thread meaningless. :D
If you want meaningless/random, I have three words for you: Duck-billed Platypus.

Now, Aki, how do I get one of these to keep as a pet?
I think they're cute.

You're not allowed to keep anything cool as a pet in Australia. Nanny state for the lose.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.
I hope you avoid any complications. One thing I know that may contribute to dry socket is smoking. I don't know if you're a smoker, but just a heads up.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
I hope you avoid any complications. One thing I know that may contribute to dry socket is smoking. I don't know if you're a smoker, but just a heads up.
I'm not a smoker, so this isn't something I have to watch out for. I was told to cut out the alcohol and caffeine for a couple of days because of their effect on circulation. Abstaining from coffee and beer is going to make me kinda cranky for a while, but I can live with that. No spitting or sucking through a straw. Eat soft foods such as yogurt. Don't suck on anything. Yada yada yada...

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
I'm not a smoker, so this isn't something I have to watch out for. I was told to cut out the alcohol and caffeine for a couple of days because of their effect on circulation. Abstaining from coffee and beer is going to make me kinda cranky for a while, but I can live with that. No spitting or sucking through a straw. Eat soft foods such as yogurt. Don't suck on anything. Yada yada yada...
Oh man... I don't know that I could abstain from coffee for a couple of days. That won't be fun. More fun than a toothache though! And, like you said, good thing it's a rare complication, and one you only need to worry about for a few days as opposed to like, weeks.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Oh man... I don't know that I could abstain from coffee for a couple of days. That won't be fun. More fun than a toothache though! And, like you said, good thing it's a rare complication, and one you only need to worry about for a few days as opposed to like, weeks.
Eating little more than yogurt does get old pretty quickly. :p

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Eating little more than yogurt does get old pretty quickly. :p
Don't neglect Jell-O!  :D