Random Postings

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
I HATE TOOTHACHES! :mad:
No more toothache... No more aching tooth...
Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.
I hope you avoid any complications. One thing I know that may contribute to dry socket is smoking. I don't know if you're a smoker, but just a heads up.
I'm not a smoker, so this isn't something I have to watch out for. I was told to cut out the alcohol and caffeine for a couple of days because of their effect on circulation. Abstaining from coffee and beer is going to make me kinda cranky for a while, but I can live with that. No spitting or sucking through a straw. Eat soft foods such as yogurt. Don't suck on anything. Yada yada yada...
Oh man... I don't know that I could abstain from coffee for a couple of days. That won't be fun. More fun than a toothache though! And, like you said, good thing it's a rare complication, and one you only need to worry about for a few days as opposed to like, weeks.
Eating little more than yogurt does get old pretty quickly. :p
Don't neglect Jell-O!  :D
I could still eat my bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, so I won't complain too much. :)
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
ZealousZeal said:
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
I HATE TOOTHACHES! :mad:
No more toothache... No more aching tooth...
Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.
I hope you avoid any complications. One thing I know that may contribute to dry socket is smoking. I don't know if you're a smoker, but just a heads up.
I'm not a smoker, so this isn't something I have to watch out for. I was told to cut out the alcohol and caffeine for a couple of days because of their effect on circulation. Abstaining from coffee and beer is going to make me kinda cranky for a while, but I can live with that. No spitting or sucking through a straw. Eat soft foods such as yogurt. Don't suck on anything. Yada yada yada...
Oh man... I don't know that I could abstain from coffee for a couple of days. That won't be fun. More fun than a toothache though! And, like you said, good thing it's a rare complication, and one you only need to worry about for a few days as opposed to like, weeks.
Eating little more than yogurt does get old pretty quickly. :p
Don't neglect Jell-O!  :D
I could still eat my bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, so I won't complain too much. :)
Oatmeal... Now there's a meal in a bowl. I seriously have no appetite the rest of the day when I have oatmeal for breakfast. It is, in a word: hearty.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,117
Reaction score
35
Points
48
Age
41
I have decided not to start a blog. I thought you all would want to know.  :p
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
I'm thinking of starting an Orthodox fraternity in college from the ground up, but I'm worried about it potentially leading to schism if they ever practically make the fraternity their Church instead of obeying the real Orthodox Church. Maybe I could develop a rule in the fraternity constitution that all chapters of it are entirely subordinate to whichever Orthodox jurisdiction they are under and that when issues regarding faith come up, they must email the Priest/Bishop and obey his answer?
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
JamesR said:
I'm thinking of starting an Orthodox fraternity in college from the ground up, but I'm worried about it potentially leading to schism if they ever practically make the fraternity their Church instead of obeying the real Orthodox Church. Maybe I could develop a rule in the fraternity constitution that all chapters of it are entirely subordinate to whichever Orthodox jurisdiction they are under and that when issues regarding faith come up, they must email the Priest/Bishop and obey his answer?
Aren't you getting quite a bit farther ahead of where you need to be at this moment?
 

ironchapman

High Elder
Joined
Oct 22, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
North Dakota
PeterTheAleut said:
JamesR said:
I'm thinking of starting an Orthodox fraternity in college from the ground up, but I'm worried about it potentially leading to schism if they ever practically make the fraternity their Church instead of obeying the real Orthodox Church. Maybe I could develop a rule in the fraternity constitution that all chapters of it are entirely subordinate to whichever Orthodox jurisdiction they are under and that when issues regarding faith come up, they must email the Priest/Bishop and obey his answer?
Aren't you getting quite a bit farther ahead of where you need to be at this moment?
A couple of things:

Now, I'm an Inquirer, so take this as you will, but I agree with what Peter said here. Don't let your zeal for Orthodoxy get ahead of your studies of it (or just getting ahead of where you need to be at the moment).

Secondly, as a college student, while I do know of broadly Christian fraternities, I don't know of one affiliated with a particular church, Orthodox or otherwise. There is however, a campus fellowship. Look to see if your college/university has a chapter of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship. Unfortunately, mine doesn't, and someday I want to see if I can change that. Heh, we don't even have an Orthodox church in our county, so I can't say I'm too surprised.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,117
Reaction score
35
Points
48
Age
41
Ortho_cat said:
Asteriktos said:
Ha, the Church was locked tight as a lobster's butt. Luckily it was scheduled for 6 (according to the OCA site), so I had time to go home and look for another option. I found an Antiochian parish about a half hour away that was having a service at 7, so I went to that one instead. It also happened to be the parish I was chrismated in (though with a new priest). Didn't go well, frankly, but such is life.  :)

And now I need to decide whether to go to bed. I was going to wake up early and go to the gym, but if I go to sleep now (2am here) I'll probably just turn the alarm off in the morning and not go. Bah.  :angel:
oh i see. that's unfortunate. hopefully you get to attend a holy week service and have a better experience :angel:
Thankfully things have been getting increasingly better since then  :)
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
I have an exam today that I need to study for... And instead I'm wasting time browsing around here.  :-[

I don't know what's wrong with me this quarter, but I am having a terrible time focusing. Blarg.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,173
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
ZealousZeal said:
I have an exam today that I need to study for... And instead I'm wasting time browsing around here.  :-[

I don't know what's wrong with me this quarter, but I am having a terrible time focusing. Blarg.
Best of luck!  :)
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
biro said:
ZealousZeal said:
I have an exam today that I need to study for... And instead I'm wasting time browsing around here.  :-[

I don't know what's wrong with me this quarter, but I am having a terrible time focusing. Blarg.
Best of luck!   :)
Thanks, biro!  :-* (I've always wanted to use that smiley, haha)
 

podkarpatska

Merarches
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northeast United States
Website
www.acrod.org
In the interest of full disclosure, I have come across a new translation of the title of our thread 'Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion.'

A review of the ancient texts has revealed that the thread is really entitled: "My Church is better than your Church, nyah, nyah, nyah... and your mother wears Army boots too."
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,173
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
podkarpatska said:
In the interest of full disclosure, I have come across a new translation of the title of our thread 'Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion.'

A review of the ancient texts has revealed that the thread is really entitled: "My Church is better than your Church, nyah, nyah, nyah... and your mother wears Army boots too."
"Only on field maneuvers!" -- Russian guy on 'Night Court'
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Ortho_cat said:
I'm bored. Someone needs to make an interesting thread.
Please do, so I can feel less guilty about my not studying.  :D
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,117
Reaction score
35
Points
48
Age
41
What type of thread? Practical? Doctrinal? Scriptural? Non-Religious? Philosophical?
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Omaha
ZealousZeal said:
I hadn't worked it out past "Entertaining".  ;)
Need me to post something nonsensical again in the "Now I Formally Renounce..." thread?

Another prophesy of the Great Platypus?
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I hadn't worked it out past "Entertaining".  ;)
Need me to post something nonsensical again in the "Now I Formally Renounce..." thread?

Another prophesy of the Great Platypus?
It would be most helpful, if you have received a new prophesy to share. I'm certain we could all benefit from the uplifting message.
 
Top