• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
LBK said:
Porter ODoran said:
Brave man. I don't think I'd've trusted anyone outside of Athens to give me that.
Why? So anyone outside of Greece is incapable of correct Greek spelling?  ::)
Tattoo artists notoriously mess up unfamiliar scripts. You can Google for all the bad and inaccurate Chinese tattoos, for instance.
He didn't do the translating I did. I just brought in the picture for him to blow up on the computer.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
JamesR said:
Jonathan Gress said:
LBK said:
Porter ODoran said:
Brave man. I don't think I'd've trusted anyone outside of Athens to give me that.
Tattoo artists notoriously mess up unfamiliar scripts. You can Google for all the bad and inaccurate Chinese tattoos, for instance.
He didn't do the translating I did. I just brought in the picture for him to blow up on the computer.
Though late, happy birthday!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WimFmrmsSHM

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Jonathan Gress said:
LBK said:
Porter ODoran said:
That he was able to render the Greek so accurately, presumably without knowing any Greek, is very impressive, though. Can't say I endorse tattoos, but you could have done a lot worse.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
I'm scared to ask what this new tattoo is supposed to prevent him from doing.
Maybe it is what will happen that we can look at.

How many yiayias and other actual Greeks will meet him and slap him upside the head for taking it so lightly, the Prayer?

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

How many yiayias and other actual Greeks will meet him and slap him upside the head for taking it so lightly, the Prayer?
Doesn't sound like he was taking it lightly. Misplaced zeal, perhaps.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

To people who would never take those words out of a prayer context....

Zeal is -praying it-  not putting it on your self as a talisman. 

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

Maybe he wanted it to be constantly visible on his arm so that he would be reminded of it even when his mind was elsewhere. It's hard to pray constantly.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

Maybe he wanted it to be constantly visible on his arm so that he would be reminded of it even when his mind was elsewhere. It's hard to pray constantly.

That doesn't change what other people will think about it

And unless he has no memory. Isn't the 'reminder' to pray what the prayer rope bracelet is for ?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
That he was able to render the Greek so accurately, presumably without knowing any Greek, is very impressive, though.
Monumental masons (people who provide gravestones and monuments) and signwriters deal with foreign alphabets and scripts all the time. If they're capable of getting it right, I'm sure a tattooist should be capable of copying something properly.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
LBK said:
Jonathan Gress said:
That he was able to render the Greek so accurately, presumably without knowing any Greek, is very impressive, though.
Monumental masons (people who provide gravestones and monuments) and signwriters deal with foreign alphabets and scripts all the time. If they're capable of getting it right, I'm sure a tattooist should be capable of copying something properly.
Plus, if you don't know the alphabet then it simply becomes copying a picture, which they can do very well as artists

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

They won't. If there is one tired and old cliche that I've yet to see, it's the tired and old cliched odox woman who knows no boundaries.

One woman came close to this description at one parish I attended. Most converts let her bully them and the Priest would intervene. The first time she came at me with that nonsense I made it clear in a glance this would go nowhere and I wasn't her Balkan forever adolescent alcoholic to berate.

After that is was just overly zealous hugs and kisses.

This odox trope is some apology for patriarchy so the women feel vested as it were.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Jonathan Gress said:
You should see what I was able to do at 14 to myself. In short, I never got above a U+ in handwriting as they called it.

I even had practiced on others first.

James might be doing the wrong things, but he's at least doing them the right way.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
When we were discussing whether I would be received via baptism or Chrismation, I told my Priest I had "some" tattooing. He, being forever never taken aback, assured me he'd seen it all and that it wouldn't be a problem.

To make sure, I disrobed, and well . . . He tried as kindly as possible to suggest that if the Bishop insisted on baptism it would have to a more private matter than normal.

Later, he asked in so many words, what the hell were you thinking?

A better man, I've yet to meet.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a little out of school, but some hipster inquirer got some "icon" tattooed on himself. The Priest involved there was furious and made certain he knew his wait would be longer to be made a catechumen than they had planned.

I told the guy he should have asked first . . .

Unlike James this guy wasn't a young kid making it even more ridiculous and humiliating.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Did your sponsors get warned in advance?
My Baptism ended up passing muster. And my sponsor in way took shine to me cause of it. He was involved in prison ministry and had adopted more than a few kids with very troubled backgrounds. So the fact I was above ground, sober, and not beating the tar out of someone made me a success.

During my time as a catechumen I only got into one physical altercation, so again not so bad.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
My Baptism ended up passing muster. And my sponsor in way took shine to me cause of it. He was involved in prison ministry and had adopted more than a few kids with very troubled backgrounds. So the fact I was above ground, sober, and not beating the tar out of someone made me a success.

During my time as a catechumen I only got into one physical altercation, so again not so bad.

and since being received? have you kept up the good record?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:

I tried not murdering someome tonight for nearly killing someone with their car. Progress, not perfection as they say in one of the cults I linger about.

I guess more heartbreaking to members of this forum the motorist did manage to blow by me and hit the fawn trying to cross the road. The reason I had stopped in the in climate weather.

Too bad it wasn't a buck. It would've brought some pleasure to me to see the guy in an ambulance.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
So James, what's next? If you grow into a real boy, you might have enough room to get the Rudder etched into your body.

Ever read Kafka's In the Penal Colony?

It might give you some inspiration!

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I'd go with Salvonic on the other arm.  Then Syriac across the chest.  Maybe Latin on the upper back.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
I'd go with Salvonic on the other arm.  Then Syriac across the chest.  Maybe Latin on the upper back.
If I could do it all over again, schemamonk bodysuit.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

They won't. If there is one tired and old cliche that I've yet to see, it's the tired and old cliched odox woman who knows no boundaries.

One woman came close to this description at one parish I attended. Most converts let her bully them and the Priest would intervene. The first time she came at me with that nonsense I made it clear in a glance this would go nowhere and I wasn't her Balkan forever adolescent alcoholic to berate.

This odox trope is some apology for patriarchy so the women feel vested as it were.
In my ecclesiastical travels, I've only come across one woman who fit the internet description of a "yiayia".  She was an old Russian lady who berated me on Pascha for using the light of my cellphone to help me walk in a packed and pewless church shortly before midnight without trampling upon babies or the feet of the scantily clad Georgian women who showed up just to hear the troparion and then go clubbing.  By far, most Orthodox "old people" are either very nice or mind their own business.   

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
hecma925 said:
If I could do it all over again, schemamonk bodysuit.
Right on, starting at the neck.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

In my ecclesiastical travels, I've only come across one woman who fit the internet description of a "yiayia".  She was an old Russian lady who berated me on Pascha for using the light of my cellphone to help me walk in a packed and pewless church shortly before midnight without trampling upon babies or the feet of the scantily clad Georgian women who showed up just to hear the troparion and then go clubbing.  By far, most Orthodox "old people" are either very nice or mind their own business. 
Strange. Every one of the parishes I've spent years at, Greek and Russian alike, has had them. Almost all are indeed lovely ladies, but they're not shy about setting people straight when the need arises.

But what would I know.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Mor Ephrem said:
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
kelly said:

Strange. Every one of the parishes I've spent years at, Greek and Russian alike, has had them. Almost all are indeed lovely ladies, but they're not shy about setting people straight when the need arises.

But what would I know.
Takes one to know one, I guess.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
When I went to the Joy of All Who Sorrow and snapped a picture of St. John's holy body before leaving some old lady yelled at me. But apart from that, that's the only "yaiyai" experience I've encountered, and my home parish is full of old people. Most of them are either really loving and ecstatic at the fact that a young person is even attending at all, and others are just silent and mind their own business.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
So James, what's next? If you grow into a real boy, you might have enough room to get the Rudder etched into your body.

I was thinking thinking of getting something related to the Sunday of Orthodoxy tattooed on me since it's my favorite feast day of the whole year.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:
orthonorm said:
DeniseDenise said:

I tried not murdering someome tonight for nearly killing someone with their car. Progress, not perfection as they say in one of the cults I linger about.
I read this as a positive confession. It's kind of a step 5 fail, though.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:

I was thinking thinking of getting something related to the Sunday of Orthodoxy tattooed on me since it's my favorite feast day of the whole year.
Mine too. I love the Sunday of Orthodoxy.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:

Make it the anathemas.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:

Make it the anathemas.
Lol!

That would be awesome. James, do it and we'll fund it.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Agabus said:
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:

Make it the anathemas.
Lol!

That would be awesome. James, do it and we'll fund it.
Who's "we"?  ::)

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:

I would urge against reading In the Penal Colony, and against tattoos.