• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
I coulda swore we had a thread here on internet connections/speeds... but searches using both the [for me, now] broken forum search and a Google search didn't help me find it. Maybe it got hid when Shiny got banned--either moved to purgatory, or simply not findable through searches (I think I had a similar problem before when searching for a TomS thread... it simply wouldn't come up and I eventually had to use a more manual/hands-on searching method to find it).
I remember that thread.  Maybe it was disappeared a la North Korea.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
The elections are coming up. I hope I come across some campaigning Social Democrats; they always give out free roses. Roses make good boutonnières, or, failing that, charming presents.
Christian Democrats > Social Democrats
Then they should give away something better than flyers. Christian Democratic pizzas sound good.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
The elections are coming up. I hope I come across some campaigning Social Democrats; they always give out free roses. Roses make good boutonnières, or, failing that, charming presents.
Then they should give away something better than flyers. Christian Democratic pizzas sound good.
Christian Democratic Pizza would be the only thing good in Dutch politics...  :-\ but not during lent! :eek:

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
Christian Democratic Pizza would be the only thing good in Dutch politics...  :-\ but not during lent! :eek:
As of late it's been entertaining to see politician after politician getting busted for corruption, embezzlement or running pot plantations. It's almost a polder version of Tangentopoli. Amusing for me, less so for the politicians.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I love to learn about Dutch political history. Altho it sounds like your contemporary politics is just antics, as everywhere nowadays.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I love to learn about Dutch political history. Altho it sounds like your contemporary politics is just antics, as everywhere nowadays.
It used to be even worse in the (late) Republic. It's just that we tend to be quicker to forgive the sins of the dead.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
As of late it's been entertaining to see politician after politician getting busted for corruption, embezzlement or running pot plantations. It's almost a polder version of Tangentopoli. Entertaining for me, less so for the politicians.
I never expected to say this... but maybe they are doing it better in Belgium once in a while...

What is the longest that they have been without...

They might be right...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
It used to be even worse in the (late) Republic. It's just that we tend to be quicker to forgive the sins of the dead.
Overall, tho, very clever. But in the end maybe too clever.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
As of late it's been entertaining to see politician after politician getting busted for corruption, embezzlement or running pot plantations. It's almost a polder version of Tangentopoli. Entertaining for me, less so for the politicians.
I never expected to say this... but maybe they are doing it better in Belgium once in a while...

They might be right...
Belgium is where bad Dutchmen get to go when they die.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Nay, the system was bad. It's telling that nobody thought of restoring the old system after Napoleon was gone.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:

They might be right...
Belgium is where bad Dutchmen get to go when they die.
That's why I flee the country  8)

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Nay, the system was bad. It's telling that nobody thought of restoring the old system after Napoleon was gone.
The fact we didn't have an "unfallen" cabinet this century as well...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
What about more recently. Pillarization was a clever idea. Most countries' politicians would not go to such trouble.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
The fact we didn't have an "unfallen" cabinet this century as well...
It's just a trick. Several months before the elections the parties in government usually pretend to be willing to walk away from the government over some principles they didn't care for the preceding four years. They do it because that way they won't have to bear as much responsibility for the policies of the cabinet.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
What about more recently. Pillarization was a clever idea.
Travelling for miles to visit the barber or the baker because those on the corner of the street are Catholic was a brilliant idea indeed.

In any other country pillarization would probably have led to sectarian conflicts. Iraq and Syria are perfect examples of pillarized societies today.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Okay. Hmm. First religious freedom in nation-state Europe? You on board with that bit of history?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Yet it wasn't too long before religious refugees were flocking there, yes?

Now I'm full of curiosity which country's political history you approve.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:

and people fleeing because there was too much tolerance... sometimes even the same people that were refugees, I've been told.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Joha said:
Porter ODoran said:

and people fleeing because there was too much tolerance... sometimes even the same people that were refugees, I've been told.
LOL. A very clever reference.

Occasionally I walk past the houses where they used to live during some of my afternoon promenades. They're in horrible disrepair.

Porter ODoran said:
A lot.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
We should make a troparion to ialmisry and his insightful political posts.
Arguably the worst attempt at satire ever.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
1) Stand in the snow and cold for 25 minutes waiting for the bus
2) Seeing no sign of bus, and it being 15+ minutes past when it was scheduled to go by, go back inside
3) Just after getting inside the door of your apartment building, look out and see the bus go by
4) ???
5) Profit

I guess, seeing as how all the local schools closed, I should have known that the roads were bad and it'd be late, and just waited there however long it took. Bah, and double-bah at my own impatience!

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Spring is coming. All the cats are running around between the farms and the males are all fighting each other.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
I am now part of the smart watch type of people, by having a pebble.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Finally moved our clocks ahead one hour. Starting to feel like spring -- well I guess it was anyway considering it was 65 degrees out yesterday when it's normally around 30 this time of year.