• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Justin Kissel said:
beep BEEP beepbeep beezzzt buzzzt beeztbuuzt  eeeeeeeeeeeeAHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaa beez-ZAH beeZAH-NAH  CHH  SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbzzzzzzzzztzttttttttttehehehezzztttshhhhhhhhzt

You've got mail!
Ah, the early days, when the Internet was made out of string and twigs.  :D

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Since when did being nice become synonymous to being a Christian?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
Since a vague and superficial 'niceness' filled the gaping moral void in these our post-Christian societies.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Bananas, onions, garlic, and thyme. I'm starting a Dominican bean stew.
Other ingredients: sweet potatos, kidney beans, a little tomato, coriander or cilantro, and  of course salt and pepper. I put in jalapenos too but it's not traditional.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
St. John Ladder was one of the first characteristically Eastern writers I ever read.

As ever-blooming fruits you offer the teachings of your God-given book,
O wise John, most blessed, while sweetening the hearts of all them
that heed it with vigilance; for it is a ladder from the earth to the Heaven
that confers glory on the souls that ascend it, and honor you faithfully.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
nothing said:
Since the epistle of James was written (before the Gospels, and possibly before anyone else, including St. Paul) :p

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I just got into an argument with someone on facebook who is convinced that the Church is going to bless same sex marriages in the near future and is sooper dooper excited about that.  Why do I bother with such arguments? I wasted a good afternoon on tripe.  :mad:

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fun trivia for the day: Andy Serkis figured out how to produce his classic "gollum" sound by watching his cat cough up a hairball.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
It's snowing in Helsinki. I know it's Annunciation but this is ridiculous. I guess the Mother of God decided to make a little practical joke.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Porter ODoran said:
I wasn't aware it ever stops snowing in Helsinki.
There's that brief hour during the third week of July...
Well, there is that joke about the rain in Seattle. It's said that Seattle had three dry days last year: the 3rd, 4th, and 5th of July. :laugh:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score

>       

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The first popularizer of this type of magnificent creature, zoologist Michael J. Jackson:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I wonder how silly it would be to attend the Paschal service in a non-native language if there's a native language version readily available too. Just noticed that my parish is having a Swedish liturgy at Paschal night. The church is quite small so it will probably run out of air but otherwise it could be quite nice.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
I wonder how silly it would be to attend the Paschal service in a non-native language if there's a native language version readily available too. Just noticed that my parish is having a Swedish liturgy at Paschal night. The church is quite small so it will probably run out of air but otherwise it could be quite nice.
Are there a lot of Swede Orthodox?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
The Orthodox are a minority and the Swedish-speaking Finnish Orthodox are even tinier minority. There might be some Swedes too but our Swedish-speaking folks here are not Swedes but Finns. Besides having two state churches we also have two official languages.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I went to a Chaldean mass today. The chanting was beautiful but somehow the service seemed fairly Novus Ordo-ish. Lots of spoken prayers and laymen participation. Have Chaldeans went through similar post-Vatican II liturgical reforms as Latins have?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Sometimes I just want to race around to all the Catholic discussion forums on the web and start threads about how the filioque and papal infallibility/supremacy, the immaculate conception, purgatory, etc. are not really major issues for me, but that I could never convert to Catholicism because of their innovative positions on birth control, divorce, and centering prayer. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
lololololol! That does sound like a jolly good time for a Friday night! gogogo!

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Have I ever mentioned that I loathe those who practice fitness or jog? Fitnessing and jogging are bad enough, but the smugness of those stupid enough to actually practice it is absolutely revolting. I'd rather have everyone obese than jogging.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Have I ever mentioned that I loathe those who practice fitness or jog? Fitnessing and jogging are bad enough, but the smugness of those stupid enough to actually practice it is absolutely revolting. I'd rather have everyone obese than jogging.
I'm intrigued. Tell me more. So it's more the pretentiousness of certain joggers that bothers you than the act of jogging itself?

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Agabus said:
orthonorm said:
Minnesotan said:
orthonorm said:
I can't help but think of Hanson.
Hanson, the band? Why?
You've never heard my parody of MMMBop.
...And I must wonder if it has anything to do with OrthoHanson rather than Somali terrorists.
Interesting to see Dave Gahan (of Depeche Mode) also became Orthodox. A while ago I remarked to some people that I thought Depeche Mode's music sounded religious or monastic in a way, sort of like Gregorian chants. They thought that was weird.

Maybe I wasn't entirely bonkers, then.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
they see me fitnessing, they jealousing

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
Cyrillic said:
they see me fitnessing, they jealousing

LOL.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
There's a guy driving through Walmart parking lot with some preacher doing a Bible study blasting from his radio. :laugh:  Thought I was in the rust belt, not the Bible belt...

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
High Falootin Term of the Day:

Dunning-Kruger Effect - The incompetent tend to overestimate their competence, while the highly competent tend to underestimate their competence. In short, those who don't know crap don't know that they don't know crap.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Cyrillic said:
I'm intrigued. Tell me more. So it's more the pretentiousness of certain joggers that bothers you than the act of jogging itself?
Both. Jogging is sweaty and nasty business, and make you look like a complete fool. There's no elegance and dignity to it. The clothes they wear are invariably an eyesore and lately they have been jogging in herds. I suspect a lot of joggers do it to feel young or to fit in.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
ZealousZeal said:
Cyrillic said:
Both. Jogging is sweaty and nasty business, and make you look like a complete fool. There's no elegance and dignity to it. The clothes they wear are invariably an eyesore and lately they have been jogging in herds. I suspect a lot of joggers do it to feel young or to fit in.
I thought a classicist like yourself would appreciate athletic prowess.

Or perhaps they should be jogging naked?