• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
If the person likes the subject, the few times saints and theologians talk about forms of government, they are always praising monarchy as the par excellence Christian form of government.

I'm not a big fan of monarchy, and even believe the Bible is clear in its stand against it, but we can't get past the fact that there is a consistent assessment of it as ideal.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
So, I visited the university library today and discovered that it actually has an impressive collection of early christian litterature. They have the works of St. Augustine, the letters of St. Basil the Great, the Church Fathers, the Philokalia and much more. I also found several shelves dedicated to eastern christianity. 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
So, I visited the university library today and discovered that it actually has an impressive collection of early christian litterature. They have the works of St. Augustine, the letters of St. Basil the Great, the Church Fathers, the Philokalia and much more. I also found several shelves dedicated to eastern christianity.
Mine has almost everything, even weird Syriac fathers nobody ever heard about.  Hipster patristics, if you will.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
Mine has almost everything, even weird Syriac fathers nobody ever heard about.  Hipster patristics, if you will.
I just find it nice to be able read actual books instead of always using the internet.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Ansgar said:
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
I just find it nice to be able read actual books instead of always using the internet.
+100

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Has TheTris' employer blocked OC.net? He hasn't posted for a long, long while.
My company got hit with a bunch of malware, so they severely restricted our internet. I can get on through my tablet or my iphone, but it is painful to try to post through those.

#firstworldproblems

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
In what language? For some reason I having this idea that there's lots of patristics available if you happen to read French. Which I don't. Me sad.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
In what language? For some reason I having this idea that there's lots of patristics available if you happen to read French. Which I don't. Me sad.
Syriac-French.

Most of the Syriac translations are in French, so that sucks for you.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Oh well. We have a hieromonk-linguist around here who likes to translate hipster patristics into Finnish. Could be worse.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
the letters of St. Basil the Great
The Loeb edition, I suppose?

Loebs make things a lot easier for the non-classicist profanum vulgus.
I actually can't remember. I'll have to check and come back to you.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
Ansgar said:
Cyrillic said:
Ansgar said:
the letters of St. Basil the Great
The Loeb edition, I suppose?

Loebs make things a lot easier for the non-classicist profanum vulgus.
I actually can't remember. I'll have to check and come back to you.
It was Loeb.
't was clairvoyance, I tell you.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Today's thread "Should Mor Ephrem stop being Mod on Oc.net?" is easily one of the five best things that ever happened to me.
That's sad.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
TheMathematician said:
Mor Ephrem said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Today's thread "Should Mor Ephrem stop being Mod on Oc.net?" is easily one of the five best things that ever happened to me.
That's sad.
I agree.
It is interesting how one can vote on a locked thread.
Really? 

I HOPE EVERYONE WILL CONTINUE TO VOTE. 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Is it pathetic that the peak of my romantic life and arguably the peak of my whole young life altogether was the one time I dated a girl in high school when I was 16? That was the one moment in life where, at least momentarily, I wasn't romantically incompetent and totally alone. It was the one night where I was truly able to fall asleep with a smile on my face knowing "I did it," that I overcame my shyness and dated a girl. Of course, then it never went nowhere after that and I haven't seen the girl in 3 or 4 years, yet I take confidence in the fact that for that one moment in my life, I actually dated a girl. Man I am pathetic.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
"I did it," that I overcame my shyness and dated a girl.
I told you how to overcome your shyness, but you won't listen.
This forum certainly has a problem with Shyness, doesn't it?

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alpo said:
It's a bit past 6pm and I'm still in bed.
Are you curled up with a good book? If not, I recommend "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future"

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
JamesR said:
Is it pathetic that the peak of my romantic life and arguably the peak of my whole young life altogether was the one time I dated a girl in high school when I was 16? That was the one moment in life where, at least momentarily, I wasn't romantically incompetent and totally alone. It was the one night where I was truly able to fall asleep with a smile on my face knowing "I did it," that I overcame my shyness and dated a girl. Of course, then it never went nowhere after that and I haven't seen the girl in 3 or 4 years, yet I take confidence in the fact that for that one moment in my life, I actually dated a girl. Man I am pathetic.
No, you're not.  You're ahead of where I was at your age.  That's pathetic.  ;)

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
Stay on track, James, and maybe you too can become an internet moderator one day.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
Stay on track, James, and maybe you too can become an internet moderator one day.
Too bad I'll be dead before that happens.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
I didn't talk to girls through high school. My first date ever was with my now-wife in the senior year of college. Your patheticness has nothing on me.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
I didn't say it would be this forum.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
kelly said:
PeterTheAleut said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
I didn't say it would be this forum.
Neither did I.