Random Postings

Zoe

Elder
Reaction score
Yeah, I can appreciate FAFSA once you get over the first-year "filling out fafsa" thingie - after that it's all easy going with Renewals and whatnot.  But it's so darned frustrating when you can't find your pin, then it tells you you've tried too many times, then that you have to disable it, then reestablish it....oh shoot me!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, that darned and tricky PIN.... I like how they have to have a seperate website just for that damned 4-digit number.

Zoe

Elder
Reaction score
Yeah, you know, I can appreciate the security.  I sure do feel secure when I can't even think about accessing someone else's information when I can't even access my own!

Zoe

Elder
Reaction score
And you really, what's the most important information in a FAFSA application?  My soc?  OK!!!

Much like credit card theft, if anything were to happen I'm sure there'd be a way to remedy it, right?  SO WHY DO I NEED TO BE LOCKED OUT OF MY OWN ACCOUNT????

Oh man.  Bishop of Metaxa, help me out here.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
well, while i can do much with brandy, i am powerless when dealing with FAFSA

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
cleveland said:
You're a U of Ore fan?
Yeah, except for the college baseball season.  UO doesn't have a baseball team, so I root for the Oregon State Beavers, instead.  Hey, the Beavers just placed their softball team into the College Softball World Series in Oklahoma City for the first time ever, and their baseball team starts NCAA regional tournament play this coming weekend (at home) with the goal of returning to the College Baseball World Series after making the trip to Omaha last year.  GO BEAVERS!!!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there the kind of blood-rivalry between Duck and Beaver fans over there as what we're used to on this side of the country?  I'm used to the rivalry image of OSU-Michigan, Alabama-Auburn, etc....

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
cleveland said:
Is there the kind of blood-rivalry between Duck and Beaver fans over there as what we're used to on this side of the country?  I'm used to the rivalry image of OSU-Michigan, Alabama-Auburn, etc....
Here we have the annual Civil War football game between the Ducks and Beavers which arouses a lot of the rivalry spirit of which you speak.  Outside of that, it seems that we have a fair number of Duck fans who root for the Beavers and, likewise, a lot of Beaver fans who root for the Ducks--when they're not playing each other.  I'm part of this group as a Duck fan.  My ideal college football season would have the Ducks going 12-0 and winning the national championship (which they almost did during QB Joey Harrington's senior year) and the Beavers going 10-2, losing only to the Ducks in the Civil War and in the BCS title game.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Here we have the annual Civil War football game between the Ducks and Beavers which arouses a lot of the rivalry spirit of which you speak.  Outside of that, it seems that we have a fair number of Duck fans who root for the Beavers and, likewise, a lot of Beaver fans who root for the Ducks--when they're not playing each other.  I'm part of this group as a Duck fan.  My ideal college football season would have the Ducks going 12-0 and winning the national championship (which they almost did during QB Joey Harrington's senior year) and the Beavers going 10-2, losing only to the Ducks in the Civil War and in the BCS title game.
See, the only reason why I would want Michigan to only lose 1 or 2, and they be all to my Buckeyes, is so that they could choke on the fact that they lost to us, ruining what would have been a perfect season.... otherwise, I hope they go down in flames... (figuratively speaking, folks)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
cleveland said:
See, the only reason why I would want Michigan to only lose 1 or 2, and they be all to my Buckeyes, is so that they could choke on the fact that they lost to us, ruining what would have been a perfect season.... otherwise, I hope they go down in flames... (figuratively speaking, folks)
For me, there's a family reason why I thoroughly enjoyed the Ducks Civil War football win over the Beavers last fall (UO 56, OSU 14; yup, a royal arse-kicking).  My uncle is an OSU alum, so when I visited him for Christmas last year I enjoyed heckling him about how his Beavers did in the game.  They sucked!!!  (The Ducks were already bowl eligible, but the Beavers started the game one win away from becoming bowl eligible themselves.  Obviously, they didn't qualify for a bowl berth.)

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Having been lost to the world of laziness I return yet again...

Firstly, EkhristosAnesti...a belated "you bastard" for the vision tricky thingy

Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree with Zoe for FAFSA commentary.  My favorite part is puting a 0 for income and 0 for bank accounts.  That always makes the process more enjoyable. 

Thirdly.  Any NCAA teams out there named after the platipus?  (sp?)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Having been lost to the world of laziness I return yet again...

Firstly, EkhristosAnesti...a belated "you bastard" for the vision tricky thingy

Secondly, I wholeheartedly agree with Zoe for FAFSA commentary.  My favorite part is puting a 0 for income and 0 for bank accounts.  That always makes the process more enjoyable. 

Thirdly.  Any NCAA teams out there named after the platipus?  (sp?)
platypus

No, I don't think so.  The NCAA does have Horned Frogs (Texas Christian), though.  This web site, http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascot.html , might be a good place to look for other unusual college mascots.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
So I wasn't the only one to read "Duck and beaver" and think of a platypus.

Oh drat!  ;D

Ebor

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ebor said:
So I wasn't the only one to read "Duck and beaver" and think of a platypus.

Oh drat!  ;D

Ebor
Well, living in Oregon for so long, I've often thought that if UO and OSU ever merged into one university, they should adopt the platypus as their mascot.  :D

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Well, living in Oregon for so long, I've often thought that if UO and OSU ever merged into one university, they should adopt the platypus as their mascot. :D
Which reminded me of the last verse of a Tom Lehrer song:

Or you may find yourself with a quite complex complex
And you may end up like Oedipus.
I'd rather marry a duck-billed platypus
Than end up like old Oedipus Rex.

:D

Ebor

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Now we're moving to random musical quotes??

I'm so not pop-culture oriented man....

ah the bain of being a foreigner...
Hey, there's actually an 80's band called Foreigner.