• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
It's a bit silly to measure your level of 'patheticness' by the age you were when you first dated.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
It's a bit silly to measure your level of 'patheticness' by the age you were when you first dated.
Don't take my patheticness away from me.  Its all I got.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
you lost it to me... not by the age at first dates but simply the fact that I have dated to many, I didn't seem to be able to hold on somehow...
You lost it to me by far...  :eek: 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Joha said:
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
you lost it to me... not by the age at first dates but simply the fact that I have dated to many, I didn't seem to be able to hold on somehow...
Nice humblebrag.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
Nice humblebrag.
It did bring me nothing that unhappiness...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
Nice humblebrag.
Oh, to be unhappy...

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Joha said:
Cyrillic said:
Joha said:
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
Nice humblebrag.
Oh, to be unhappy...
Trust me... when it starts to hurt your wife...

Maybe this isn't the place... sorry

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Joha said:
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
Well, it wasn't exactly self control that kept me at only ever dating one person. It's more like only one person ever exhibited the necessary amount of pity upon me to enable me to get that one.  :p

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Joha said:
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
Well, it wasn't exactly self control that kept me at only ever dating one person. It's more like only one person ever exhibited the necessary amount of pity upon me to enable me to get that one.  :p
Here have it back! take it!
The idea she would lose pity... The change you would be here even more would be to great. heheh

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
It's more like only one person ever exhibited the necessary amount of pity upon me to enable me to get that one.  :p
You underestimate yourself, old man. There must have been at least something she liked in you.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
TheTrisagion said:
It's more like only one person ever exhibited the necessary amount of pity upon me to enable me to get that one.  :p
You underestimate yourself, old man. There must have been at least something she liked in you.
Probably, although I think we have both forgotten what that was by now.  ;D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Cyrillic said:
TheTrisagion said:
Probably, although I think we have both forgotten what that was by now.  ;D
Ahaha, that's the way of all marriages.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
Is it pathetic that the peak of my romantic life and arguably the peak of my whole young life altogether was the one time I dated a girl in high school when I was 16? That was the one moment in life where, at least momentarily, I wasn't romantically incompetent and totally alone. It was the one night where I was truly able to fall asleep with a smile on my face knowing "I did it," that I overcame my shyness and dated a girl. Of course, then it never went nowhere after that and I haven't seen the girl in 3 or 4 years, yet I take confidence in the fact that for that one moment in my life, I actually dated a girl. Man I am pathetic.
No, you're not.  You're ahead of where I was at your age.  That's pathetic.  ;)
Stay on track, James, and maybe you too can become an internet moderator one day.
Too bad I'll be dead before that happens.
PTA, you're an older single guy. Can you tell me what to expect? I'm going through some existential soul searching and I just know that I'm going to be single and unmarried at 40. If I'm already in college and haven't made any effort to break out of my shell, I doubt I will anytime soon. And this doesn't bother me much, although it does make me wonder, "where did I go wrong?" Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s? In which case, do I have a chance?

JameR, please stop referring to PeterTheAleut as "Pete".  You may call him PeterTheAleut, or PTA.  He doesn't like to be referred to as Pete.  This is not a warning, just a request to be courteous to other posters and respect their wishes concerning themselves.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s?
Yes, unless they already have children.
Or don't want them (perhaps because they're invested enough in their profession that they consider that their family, or perhaps if they're already involved in raising someone else's children, like their sister's, for instance).

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
PeterTheAleut said:
kelly said:
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
Is it pathetic that the peak of my romantic life and arguably the peak of my whole young life altogether was the one time I dated a girl in high school when I was 16? That was the one moment in life where, at least momentarily, I wasn't romantically incompetent and totally alone. It was the one night where I was truly able to fall asleep with a smile on my face knowing "I did it," that I overcame my shyness and dated a girl. Of course, then it never went nowhere after that and I haven't seen the girl in 3 or 4 years, yet I take confidence in the fact that for that one moment in my life, I actually dated a girl. Man I am pathetic.
No, you're not.  You're ahead of where I was at your age.  That's pathetic.  ;)
Stay on track, James, and maybe you too can become an internet moderator one day.
Too bad I'll be dead before that happens.
Pete, you're an older single guy. Can you tell me what to expect? I'm going through some existential soul searching and I just know that I'm going to be single and unmarried at 40. If I'm already in college and haven't made any effort to break out of my shell, I doubt I will anytime soon. And this doesn't bother me much, although it does make me wonder, "where did I go wrong?" Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s? In which case, do I have a chance?
I don't think it matters how desperate they are. If you are incapable of talking to them, you aren't going to have a chance. It isn't like they are bloodhounds who track down male genitalia and pounce.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Cyrillic said:
Minnesotan said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Or don't want them
Nonsense.
They exist.  Take a look at the birthrate on your Continent.
I've recently read an article in the newspaper written by a middle class woman in her early 40s who whined about how bad and pitiable her life is since she never met Prince Charming, was too busy with her career and thus never had children. I suppose this has a lot to do with the faltering birth rate.

Besides, if it weren't for the immigrants to the US, who breed like rabbits, your birthrate would be akin to ours.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
hecma925 said:
Cyrillic said:
Minnesotan said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Or don't want them
Nonsense.
I've recently read an article in the newspaper about a woman in her early 40s who whined about how bad her life is since she never met Mr. Perfect, was too busy with her career and thus never had children. I suppose this has a lot to do with the faltering birth rate.

Besides, if it weren't for the immigrants to the US, who breed like rabbits, your birthrate would be akin to ours.
Even if you only take into account whitey, American birth rates are still higher.  Not by much, but still.  Either way fertility rates tend to drop for children of immigrants and subsequent generations.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Cyrillic said:
hecma925 said:
Cyrillic said:
Minnesotan said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Or don't want them
Nonsense.
I've recently read an article in the newspaper about a woman in her early 40s who whined about how bad her life is since she never met Mr. Perfect, was too busy with her career and thus never had children. I suppose this has a lot to do with the faltering birth rate.

Even if you only take into account whitey, American birth rates are still higher.  Not by much, but still.  Either way fertility rates tend to drop for children of immigrants and subsequent generations.
That might be because teenage pregnancy in the US is higher than it is in Western Europe.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Minnesotan said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Or don't want them
Nonsense.
I've had several female classmates in high school and college who said publicly that they never wanted to have kids. Are you saying you think they were lying, or will change their minds in the future?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
The biological clock is stronger than what some 20 year old says.  That doesn't mean there aren't women that simply don't want kids, but all the girls that said as much in my college are now married and pumping out kids.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s? In which case, do I have a chance?
Unless you get over yourself the selfishness, immaturity, whining and mommy issues, no.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s? In which case, do I have a chance?
Unless you get over yourself the selfishness, immaturity, whining and mommy issues, no.
Now how come desperate older women can be picky but desperate older men can't?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Life isn't fair.

Joha

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Life isn't fair.
It pretty much is, we on the other hand are masters of self destruction.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Nothing picky about disqualifying men who can't or won't provide what said women are desperate for - namely, marriage and children. ::)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Life isn't fair.

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
It's not age that make people desperate. It's one of the four: insecurity, realization it was their fault and they spoiled a few good chances, lack of faith that God may have a different story for you than the more usual one or lack of acceptance of vocation for singleness.

And as for shyness with girls, the only solution for that is getting as many burns as possible until your skin gets thicker. Just stop caring about burns. When you accept there is no trick, or rule about it, and when you accept that you just have to be yourself and it's the woman who will choose to accept you or not, then things will get easier.

Even when you do the whole "conquering" routine, if you are a normal person and not a manipulator, you are just "conquering" someone who actually wants you to do that.

I still remember the first time I approached a girl in a party.... I probably was 13 or something. My opening line was "Do you think there are aliens?" It didn't work that night, of course, but when a girl is interested she appreciates the effort even when it's awkward. A couple of months later and after more normal conversations we had a date.

Interesting girls are not interested in you putting up a character and role playing. They will notice more the fact that you are acting on your feelings for them, than in whatever you are substantially doing. They know that getting the right topics, or the right gifts, the right places to date is something that only comes when you get to know each other better, that's not what they expect from you right in the beginning.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Czar Lazar said:
Cyrillic said:
Do some Serbian parishes really have a bar in church?
in the cultural center or the "hall"....but yes.
I noticed my ACROD parish has a beer tap in the social center, though it's not currently hooked up.