• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Czar Lazar

Elder
Reaction score

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Czar Lazar said:
Cyrillic said:
Do some Serbian parishes really have a bar in church?
in the cultural center or the "hall"....but yes.
Czar Lazar said:
Cyrillic said:
From now on my heart belongs to Serbia.

Don't forget Slavas....another -fantastic-(and alcoholic)  reason to love Serbians.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Czar Lazar said:
Cyrillic said:
Czar Lazar said:
Cyrillic said:
From now on my heart belongs to Serbia.
What a floozy!  Giving your heart to whatever jurisdiction whispers something nice in your ear....

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s? In which case, do I have a chance?
Unless you get over yourself the selfishness, immaturity, whining and mommy issues, no.
Now how come desperate older women can be picky but desperate older men can't?
"Picky desperate" is an oxymoron. Really desperate older women are the ones who go after attractive younger men or hire gigolos, i.e. 'cougars'. The picky ones just end up as crabby old cat ladies and post on OC.net all day.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
Is it true that unmarried women get desperate by the time they reach their 30s? In which case, do I have a chance?
Unless you get over yourself the selfishness, immaturity, whining and mommy issues, no.
"Picky desperate" is an oxymoron. Really desperate older women are the ones who go after attractive younger men or hire gigolos, i.e. 'cougars'. The picky ones just end up as crabby old cat chaste ladies lauded in the writings of the Church Fathers and post pray for the losers on OC.net all day.
All fixed!

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Jonathan Gress said:
JamesR said:
Arachne said:
JamesR said:
"Picky desperate" is an oxymoron. Really desperate older women are the ones who go after attractive younger men or hire gigolos, i.e. 'cougars'. The picky ones just end up as crabby old cat chaste ladies lauded in the writings of the Church Fathers and post pray for the losers on OC.net all day.
All fixed!
Exhibit A ^

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ahh good old OC.net where men routinely suggest that women should manufacture some lust lest they be 'picky' and remain chaste according to St. Paul's admonitions...

But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am;  but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

So if a female has self control she is 'picky'......

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
ahh good old OC.net where men routinely suggest that women should manufacture some lust lest they be 'picky' and remain chaste according to St. Paul's admonitions...

But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am;  but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

It's no longer a virtue if you boast about it.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:

I am flattered...truly I am, that you think I am virtuous....or even some semblance enough to be mistaken for boasting about it...

I am however working on that repentance thing.......and will be for the rest of my life.

Another reason not to mistake 'unmarried' for 'picky'

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Less posting, more looking for a man, Denise.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:

I am flattered...truly I am, that you think I am virtuous....or even some semblance enough to be mistaken for boasting about it...

I am however working on that repentance thing.......and will be for the rest of my life.

Another reason not to mistake 'unmarried' for 'picky'
I haven't named any names, you know. Somehow you've taken my comments to be referring to you personally. Interesting.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
"Picky desperate" is an oxymoron. Really desperate older women are the ones who go after attractive younger men or hire gigolos, i.e. 'cougars'. The picky ones just end up as crabby old cat ladies and post on OC.net all day.
Jonathan Gress said:
DeniseDenise said:
Jonathan Gress said:
All fixed!
Exhibit A ^
Dang, you're on a roll.

DeniseDenise said:
ahh good old OC.net where men routinely suggest that women should manufacture some lust lest they be 'picky'
Source?

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'm not saying that being single is bad. It can be a great virtue. The problem is when singles (whether men or women) take out their frustration in places like these.

And sorry if you took my comments personally, Denise. I was just attempting to post fun at a certain OC.net "type" here. I'm sure I also fit into a type that is equally deserving of a little mockery. ;)

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
I'm not saying that being single is bad. It can be a great virtue. The problem is when singles (whether men or women) take out their frustration in places like these.

And sorry if you took my comments personally, Denise. I was just attempting to post fun at a certain OC.net "type" here. I'm sure I also fit into a type that is equally deserving of a little mockery. ;)

given that there are maybe (if one is being generous) one quarter as many women here as men, 'posting fun' at a certain type...is just another symptom of the frat boy club that this place is.

but you are sorry....so its all good.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
given that there are maybe (if one is being generous) one quarter as many women here as men, 'posting fun' at a certain type...is just another symptom of the frat boy club that this place is.
Isn't that just a general description of the internet?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I'm genuinely suprised that we didn't get to the Eurovision finals. Our song wasn't that good but I thought that the concept would get enough votes.

I voted for Serbia. Armenia and Albania were nice too. As for Moldova... let's just say that it was extremely Eurovision'ish. :-X

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Alpo said:
I'm genuinely suprised that we didn't get to the Eurovision finals. Our song wasn't that good but I thought that the concept would get enough votes.

I voted for Serbia. Armenia and Albania were nice too. As for Moldova... let's just say that it was extremely Eurovision'ish. :-X
Er, isn't it supposed to be?  :eek:

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Alpo said:

Not that Eurovision. Dancing gay cops is way too Eurovision.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpo said:
It's Eurovision, not the Oscars. ;)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Alpo said:
biro said:
Alpo said:

Not that Eurovision. Dancing gay cops is way too Eurovision.
Well, the Village People were American, so... point taken.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:

Send more metal, please.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Arachne said:
My money's on Sweden.
And I get to keep it. ;D
I voted for Serbia but franly I was expecting Sweden to win.

I can't believe Russia beated Italy. Nor the really, really bad joke about Russians giving 12 points to themselves.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
http://epublications.uef.fi/pub/urn_isbn_978-952-68145-7-5/index_en.html

Pardon for a serious sidenote, but this might be of interest for many here. A dissertation concerning the hymns for Entrance of the Mother of God.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Alpo said:
http://epublications.uef.fi/pub/urn_isbn_978-952-68145-7-5/index_en.html

Pardon for a serious sidenote, but this might be of interest for many here. A dissertation concerning the hymns for Entrance of the Mother of God.
How delightful!  Thanks!

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Just got my July schedule... I work three Sunday mornings. Sigh.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
My country just turned into OC.net. We have a new goverment around here. With anti-EU foreign minister, an anti-vaccinations health minister and a justice minister who is for death penalty and a finance minister who wants spending cuts to social services.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Alpo said:
My country just turned into OC.net. We have a new goverment around here. With anti-EU foreign minister, an anti-vaccinations health minister and a justice minister who is for death penalty and a finance minister who wants spending cuts to social services.
Hey, maybe I should immigrate to your country. Bulgaria?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Oh no!  Criminals put to death and babies not receiving their government baskets.