• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
Mina and Mor--I appreciate all that I've learned and you putting in the time to answer this and that for me; however much it might not have worked in the end, it's nonetheless appreciated. I gave it the 'good old college dropout try' on my end as well, for whatever that's worth. You're good people.
Justin, you are one of my favorite posters here, who gives very insightful and intelligent thoughts.  I hope you continue to contribute.  One thing I want you to remember:

Never forget about the eternal and uncreated Love, the reason we exist, the reason we procreate, the reason we commemorate, the reason we die.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Sometimes, I think people just copy and paste paragraphs from random word generators into the midst of hotly debated threads just to see if anyone will respond.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:
Few days ago, me and the Orthodox Priest canceled any contact. It is related to my homosexuality. I'm sad and disappointed, because it means I can't go to the parish. I think he was worried that the idea of having a married gay man in the parish will cause a "scandal". Even though I though he was okay as long as I don't participate in the Church's mysteries. And I'm not even Orthodox. Anyway, I guess this door is closed now. :(

Please, pray for me.
This is ridiculous. The priests actions, I mean. Christ himself was causing all sorts of scandals by hanging out with all kinds of people. I feel sorry for you and will light a candle for you next sunday at church.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
http://www.ustream.tv/blindcatrescue?utm_source=crowd-live-backend&utm_medium=visit-channel&utm_campaign=notifications

A free webcam which shows the cats in a North Carolina animal shelter. They also have a Roku streaming TV channel. Fun for all ages. Very relaxing. All the cat nap footage you could ever need. :)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
http://www.ustream.tv/blindcatrescue?utm_source=crowd-live-backend&utm_medium=visit-channel&utm_campaign=notifications

A free webcam which shows the cats in a North Carolina animal shelter. They also have a Roku streaming TV channel. Fun for all ages. Very relaxing. All the cat nap footage you could ever need. :)
I have enough cats at home that I can watch endless cat naps to my hearts content.  :D

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
How do you speak of a priest who 'did' your marriage sacrament? "Fr. so-and-so did our wedding" sounds off to me. "Fr. so-and-so performed our wedding" also sounds off. "Fr. so-and-so married us" is understandable, but kinda funny sounding, and may come to have multiple meanings in the perception of some non-Orthodox eventually. The same would go for "Fr. so-and-so joined us in marriage" (and perhaps moreso). Are one of these nonetheless the norm? Or something else, perhaps something more formal and awkward like "Fr. so-and-so presided over the joining of my wife and me in the marital sacrament/service"?

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Raylight said:
Few days ago, me and the Orthodox Priest canceled any contact. It is related to my homosexuality. I'm sad and disappointed, because it means I can't go to the parish. I think he was worried that the idea of having a married gay man in the parish will cause a "scandal". Even though I though he was okay as long as I don't participate in the Church's mysteries. And I'm not even Orthodox. Anyway, I guess this door is closed now. :(

Please, pray for me.
This is ridiculous. The priests actions, I mean. Christ himself was causing all sorts of scandals by hanging out with all kinds of people. I feel sorry for you and will light a candle for you next sunday at church.
And yet St. Paul counseled us to not even eat with a man who claims to be Christian but doesn't live the life of a Christian. So don't be so quick to judge the motives of a priest you do not know.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Sometimes, I think people just copy and paste paragraphs from random word generators into the midst of hotly debated threads just to see if anyone will respond.
This would explain a lot.

R

Raylight

Alpo said:
Raylight said:

Please, pray for me.
Thank you Alpo :)  I'm trying to understand his perspective, even though I can't really forgive him for just cutting me out like that.

R

Raylight

I will have take a long break from the forum and any forum for that matter. Very important days are coming and the university will start soon. I will put somethings on hold and try to change my focus until God pull me back.

Thanks to all of you for the great time. Please pray for me, a sinner.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having a comic book superhero who goes off and fights against ISIS. Captain Assyria, anyone?

(And yes, I'm aware that Marvel already had a short-lived character by that name, who however was just an alternate-world version of Captain America and had little to do with the actual Assyrian people).

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Bought a CRT monitor for my poverty PC build.

1998 never looked so good.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Raylight said:
I will have take a long break from the forum and any forum for that matter. Very important days are coming and the university will start soon. I will put somethings on hold and try to change my focus until God pull me back.

Thanks to all of you for the great time. Please pray for me, a sinner.
God be with you Ray.  Stay strong and never stop seeking the Truth.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Justin Kissel said:
How do you speak of a priest who 'did' your marriage sacrament? "Fr. so-and-so did our wedding" sounds off to me. "Fr. so-and-so performed our wedding" also sounds off. "Fr. so-and-so married us" is understandable, but kinda funny sounding, and may come to have multiple meanings in the perception of some non-Orthodox eventually. The same would go for "Fr. so-and-so joined us in marriage" (and perhaps moreso). Are one of these nonetheless the norm? Or something else, perhaps something more formal and awkward like "Fr. so-and-so presided over the joining of my wife and me in the marital sacrament/service"?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Eastern Mind

High Elder
Reaction score
biro said:

I love watching this on Roku. It's fun to turn it on and get my cats all wound up. There's also a bird channel that streams in Virginia :D

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/10/9118199/public-transportation-subway-buses

An interesting article on US public transporting.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Those poor UK people who don't ever get to eat tenderloin, my heart goes out to them.  :'(

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Those poor UK people who don't ever get to eat tenderloin, my heart goes out to them.  :'(
As you can see there are reasons we left the brits. Add this to the list alongside taxation, bad tea and bad beer  :D

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
They may have remedied the beer issue since then. I like Boddington's and Bass Ale.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The run-up to the Little League World Series is underway. I'm watching a game right now.

Don't know if any teams from my area are in it. I will check to see if I have anyone to cheer for. :)

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
minasoliman said:
good to know
It couldn't wait 'til this Saturday. ::) Oh, that's right. The Old Calenderists START their fast this Friday. ;)
Most who follow the old calendar are not Old Calendarists.  :police:

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I had two interviews this week, thanks be to God. I am also helping a family friend with an editing project. :)

Fabio Leite

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Website
vidaortodoxa.blogspot.com.br
PeterTheAleut said:
minasoliman said:
good to know
It couldn't wait 'til this Saturday. ::) Oh, that's right. The Old Calenderists START their fast this Friday. ;)
It's coming for you...

Rougarou: (...) the wolf-like beast will hunt down and kill Catholics who do not follow the rules of Lent. This coincides with the French Catholic loup-garou stories, according to which the method for turning into a werewolf is to break Lent seven years in a row.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rougarou

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
minasoliman said:
good to know
Our fast is 15 days, sooooo, it started on Aug 7 :p

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
minasoliman said:
PeterTheAleut said:
minasoliman said:
good to know
Our fast is 15 days, sooooo, it started on Aug 7 :p
Everyone's fast is fifteen days, you guys just have different dates.  :p

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Really, when does the fast end for everyone?  For Copts the last day is 21st, and the feast the 22nd.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I just found a computer file that had a descriptions of some dreams I had in 2011... super trippy and odd, I must have used drugs back then and just forgot or something. 8)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Engrished by Google Translate:
Before long column of cross row to return to the Holy Resurrection Cathedral, chorus of choir singing in honor joy the Lord's resurrection was heard from the beginning. When the Iri-do Daniil Office bishop from priests again from the front entrance, while Furimaki incense in five languages ​​"Christ resurrected!" And repeatedly declared. On the other hand, they were participants prayer who is aligned meet the "really back!".

This "Christ resurrected!" Response of "really resurrected!" Was repeated this night many times. According to the Kliment Kitahara Fumi-mon Father is one of the priest of the church, this time used language is Japanese (St. Nikolai Nakai translation of the Meiji era), Church Slavic, Greek, Romanian, and that's English .

http://www.christiantoday.co.jp/articles/15822/20150414/nicholai-do-pascha.htm

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
:D

Who do we want?
Christ!
How do we want him?
Really resurrected!

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Posted a few memes today, made a bunch of stupid comments, all in all, a pretty productive day at work if I may say so myself. Happy weekend everyone!  :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I have not watched the movie Swamp Thing in a really long time.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Is it permitted to build a monastery in the shape of a three bar cross?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
It's kind of disappointing to notice that I've been too long away from my university to have any kind of meaningful academic-ish discussion on pretty much anything. Not that I'd want an academic career as I like being employed but still. I used to be better. Meh.