• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
nothing said:
If y'all don't like PA, then leave so I can have it all to myself.

I absolutely love it here.
I actually do like it, but I like harassing Tris even more :p
I see who my true friend is.

It's Maria. She never once makes fun of PA.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
nothing said:
kelly said:
nothing said:

Where are you besides residing in your parents basement?
*wipes Cheeto dust off mouth*

I RESENT THAT!

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Olivia said:
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)
That is because it is the dwelling place of the LORD Almighty.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Olivia said:

I hear that traumatic memories are eventually changed into more pleasant ones, in order to spare the mind....

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Schultz one time said Pburgh is axis mundi.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Schultz one time said Pburgh is axis mundi.
Very true, although it can be narrowed down even further.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Which is so weird, because I was pretty sure that US 15 southbound is the corridor to hell.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Which is so weird, because I was pretty sure that US 15 southbound is the corridor to hell.
Northbound actually.

I will concede that point, however. US 15 is not a good place. Unless, of course, you are looking for lot lizards and trailer tramps. Those can be found in abundance.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
ZealousZeal said:
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Northbound actually.

I will concede that point, however. US 15 is not a good place. Unless, of course, you are looking for lot lizards and trailer tramps. Those can be found in abundance.
Well, it certainly can't be northbound because that brings you to New York.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
TheTrisagion said:
ZealousZeal said:
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Northbound actually.

Northbound takes me to my in-laws, so yes, it is the corridor to hell. Also, there are lots of seedy strip clubs and adult video stores. Apparently, the river rats have not figured out that you can get that stuff for free on the internet.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
kelly said:
DeniseDenise said:
clearly its not a basement......
With my return to school in my 40's, I've replaced life in my parents' basement with life holed up in my room (when I'm not at work, in class, or at church). Otherwise, I resemble this meme. :-[

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
ZealousZeal said:
TheTrisagion said:
ZealousZeal said:
TheTrisagion said:
Olivia said:
Northbound actually.

Keep telling the truth, I've got your back. 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
TheTrisagion said:
Northbound takes me to my in-laws, so yes, it is the corridor to hell. Also, there are lots of seedy strip clubs and adult video stores. Apparently, the river rats have not figured out that you can get that stuff for free on the internet.
Yeah, but that takes away the social element of depravity.  When I sin, I want to sin with people. 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
TheTrisagion said:
Yeah, but that takes away the social element of depravity.  When I sin, I want to sin with people.
Not with the people you would encounter along that stretch of road you don't. It would be too much for even your worldly NYC persona to deal with.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Was listening to a counter-terrorism expert today, talking about how to deal with a potential suicide bomber:

1) Wear eye protection in public.  Lots of people have been blinded by bombs (mostly from broken glass).

2) If you hear "Allahu Akbar," that's indicator that something is about to go 'bang.'  Lie flat on the ground.  Suicide bomb vests and belts tend to go off at waist level.

3) Once the bomb goes off, immediately get out of the area.  Bombers tend to work in groups, with hope they can catch First Responders.  Get at least a block away... running.

4) Park far from the entrance of where you are going, near the parking lot exit, with the nose of your car facing out (if possible).  You might have a chance to get to your car and drive.  But, if you can't get out almost immediately, don't get stuck in a traffic jam.  Come back for the car later.

5) If someone in your group is injured, move them out of the area.  We are usually told not to move the injured, but that's what bombers hope for.  They want to catch medical personnel tending the wounded.  Evacuate and get help far away from the bomb.  Chances are that ambulances will be coming from all directions.  Flag one of those down.

6) Keep medical supplies in your car anyhow.  A bug-out bag is best just in case you can't make it home right away.

7) There are no such things as 'hostages' anymore.  If you are being kept in an area by a terrorist, he is likely preparing to kill everyone together.  You might as well take the risk and run.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
I'm a medic.  Number 3 and 5 are true if you're in a situation like that.  As for 6, If you have first aid in your car and it's out of harms way, that can be helpful to any off duty nurse or EMT I guess.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William T said:
I'm a medic.  Number 3 and 5 are true if you're in a situation like that.  As for 6, If you have first aid in your car and it's out of harms way, that can be helpful to any off duty nurse or EMT I guess.
Because we live in earthquake territory, we keep a lot of supplies on hand.  Much of the medical stuff I can barely use if at all, but it does help get your family treatment from a professional if you can bring extra stuff he can use to fix your people and maybe a few others. 

I learned that from hearing about Russian athletes who packed their own medical supplies when traveling in Russia in the 1990s when things were bad.  If they got injured on tour, they always had all the supplies they needed to get proper treatment, since they couldn't depend on well-stocked hospitals in those days.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
kelly said:
nothing said:

I see who my true friend is.

It's Maria. She never once makes fun of PA.
Everything outside of the compound is hell.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
William T said:
Because we live in earthquake territory, we keep a lot of supplies on hand.  Much of the medical stuff I can barely use if at all, but it does help get your family treatment from a professional if you can bring extra stuff he can use to fix your people and maybe a few others. 

I learned that from hearing about Russian athletes who packed their own medical supplies when traveling in Russia in the 1990s when things were bad.  If they got injured on tour, they always had all the supplies they needed to get proper treatment, since they couldn't depend on well-stocked hospitals in those days.
Don't listen to me on this unless another health care worker confirms this with a second opinion:  But blankets, a head light, a car cell phone charger, good rope, and a decent knife/ scissors that can cut through jeans quickly might be better than a first aid kit to a first responder and more useful to a general person in an emergency anyway...at least when they are out of immediate danger.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William T said:
FatherGiryus said:
William T said:

Don't listen to me on this unless another health care worker confirms this with a second opinion:  But blankets, a head light, a car cell phone charger, good rope, and a decent knife/ scissors that can cut through jeans quickly might be better than a first aid kit to a first responder and more useful to a general person in an emergency anyway...at least when they are out of immediate danger.
This is more of what you'd really need, or this, in addition to a tourniquet.

The rest of the items should be in a bugout bag in your trunk.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Jesse Hughes, of the band Eagles of Death Metal, has apparently been ordained as an "independent Catholic priest" by the Universal Life Church.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Quick thought on the refugee thing that I don't think has been stated:

The US hosts tens of millions of tourists every year from everywhere.  So far as I can tell, any decent organized terrorist group can get fake passports and sneak in about 8 or 9 willing people.  That's all it would take.

If you have a group of people willing to die like that, it seems to me there is no practical way to keep them out.  Say what you will about letting refugees in or out, but that terrorists may be in the camps is NOT a good argument for any long term outlook.

I think the best refutation to my point would be that there is a higher risk or an almost guarantee we are letting in a large amount of terrorists. 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
Jesse Hughes, of the band Eagles of Death Metal, has apparently been ordained as an "independent Catholic priest" by the Universal Life Church.
I guess he's got something in common with Mother Bernadette Mary besides music (or something like it)...

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
Miley Cyrus has REALLY gone off the deep end.
Huh? Has she done something out of the ordinary lately?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
William T said:
Quick thought on the refugee thing that I don't think has been stated:

The US hosts tens of millions of tourists every year from everywhere.  So far as I can tell, any decent organized terrorist group can get fake passports and sneak in about 8 or 9 willing people.  That's all it would take.

If you have a group of people willing to die like that, it seems to me there is no practical way to keep them out.  Say what you will about letting refugees in or out, but that terrorists may be in the camps is NOT a good argument for any long term outlook.

I think the best refutation to my point would be that there is a higher risk or an almost guarantee we are letting in a large amount of terrorists.
I have been told that in some countries it is easier to get a visa if you are Christian.  So the .govs are doing something right.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
This is dated, but I still find it funny:

Also, FX created a bunch of ISIS merchandise that they now need to figure out what to do with.

“I’m one of the few people that has the white ISIS cup and it’s mixed in with all my other cups,” Walter said. “The other day, I was looking at it and thought, ‘Should I throw it out? But it reminds me of Archer.’”

From this.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
As an Egyptian, I wish to take the name Isis back!

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Christmas

Best: Egg Nog

Worst: Christmas music.