• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
What I learned from social media comments about discovering new elements and putting them on the periodic table: religious people will probably refuse to let new textbooks include it because, you know, God; atheist people are so dumb how they reject God when periodic table not even full done?; there was a guy from area 51 who revealed element 113 but they laughed at him but now they 'found' element 113 omg the guvment lies and here come aliens!; these don't count as real elements, I make elements like these new ones all the time, so do my kids, so they can't be real; this proves that science changes which proves that science is useless!!!

Very educational.
 

Minnesotan

Archon
Joined
Sep 14, 2014
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Asteriktos said:
What I learned from social media comments about discovering new elements and putting them on the periodic table: religious people will probably refuse to let new textbooks include it because, you know, God; atheist people are so dumb how they reject God when periodic table not even full done?; there was a guy from area 51 who revealed element 113 but they laughed at him but now they 'found' element 113 omg the guvment lies and here come aliens!; these don't count as real elements, I make elements like these new ones all the time, so do my kids, so they can't be real; this proves that science changes which proves that science is useless!!!

Very educational.
 

Minnesotan

Archon
Joined
Sep 14, 2014
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
FatherGiryus said:
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
PUA theme song: Robin Thicke, "Blurred Lines" (Honorable mention: Village People, "Macho Man")

MGTOW theme song: Fleetwood Mac, "Go Your Own Way" (Honorable mention: Bob Marley, "No Woman, No Cry")

MRA theme song: Beastie Boys, "Fight For Your Right" (Honorable mention: Burger King commercial, "I Am Man")
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
FatherGiryus said:
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.
 

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
4,195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
nothing said:
FatherGiryus said:
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.
A smattering here and there from a few forums.  I agree with your take, and that's the sad part.  Also a degree of despair underneath.

I know now that my personality type as 'neanderthal male' with a heavy dose of redneck is no longer cut out for most businesses or bureaucracies.  My last government employment was evidence enough for me that I'm politically incorrect even when I'm trying desperately not to be.  So, I relate to a lot of the complaints they have.

It is just so tragic to see so many people literally squeezed out of society.

The poetic part is to see 'Western' society breaking up this basic relationship of male and female for the sake of 'progress,' only to then to have to import warm bodies from parts of the world that are 'behind'.


 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
FatherGiryus said:
[size=10pt]A smattering here and there from a few forums.  I agree with your take, and that's the sad part.  Also a degree of despair underneath.

Yeah I just picture everyone that posts on those kind of sites as sock-puppets of JamesR and have watched too much Fight Club.

Its just an outlet for white males to post about their frustrations at their lack of game and blame it on feminism.

I generally hate all sort of self-help improvement but there is some decent practical advice that can help boost one's confidence and self-worth. The problem is that gets twisted into validating oneself by using a whole host of women as sex objects for casual encounters (and then belittle them on the internet). That's not what its about.

Nothing wrong with ONS or casual flings, I've encouraged others here to experience it before they get serious about relationships and marriage. I guess fundamentally I do agree there are certain women worthy of marrying and others not so much.
 

Minnesotan

Archon
Joined
Sep 14, 2014
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Porter ODoran said:
Minnesotan said:
Please tell me that's really from a religious textbook somewhere.
Unfortunately, no (although I'm sure there are some religious textbooks that have attempted to revise the periodic table). The picture I shared is from the Landover Baptist Church website, which is a parody.
 

Minnesotan

Archon
Joined
Sep 14, 2014
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
FatherGiryus said:
nothing said:
FatherGiryus said:
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.
A smattering here and there from a few forums.  I agree with your take, and that's the sad part.  Also a degree of despair underneath.

I know now that my personality type as 'neanderthal male' with a heavy dose of redneck is no longer cut out for most businesses or bureaucracies.  My last government employment was evidence enough for me that I'm politically incorrect even when I'm trying desperately not to be.  So, I relate to a lot of the complaints they have.

It is just so tragic to see so many people literally squeezed out of society.

The poetic part is to see 'Western' society breaking up this basic relationship of male and female for the sake of 'progress,' only to then to have to import warm bodies from parts of the world that are 'behind'.

The other thing about manospherians is that many (if not most) of them believe that soon real women will become obsolete once sexbots go on the market.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Every youtube vid and website I've stumbled across with people talking about all the men's rights/alpha male/whatever yadayada reminds me of that Daryl guy in the movie Coming To America (in fact that part at ~1:45-2:10 could be taken straight from the 'How to be a manly man' stuff)  :police:
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Minnesotan said:
FatherGiryus said:
nothing said:
FatherGiryus said:
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.
A smattering here and there from a few forums.  I agree with your take, and that's the sad part.  Also a degree of despair underneath.

I know now that my personality type as 'neanderthal male' with a heavy dose of redneck is no longer cut out for most businesses or bureaucracies.  My last government employment was evidence enough for me that I'm politically incorrect even when I'm trying desperately not to be.  So, I relate to a lot of the complaints they have.

It is just so tragic to see so many people literally squeezed out of society.

The poetic part is to see 'Western' society breaking up this basic relationship of male and female for the sake of 'progress,' only to then to have to import warm bodies from parts of the world that are 'behind'.

The other thing about manospherians is that many (if not most) of them believe that soon real women will become obsolete once sexbots go on the market.
If ever the silliness of a movement could be summed up in one post.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
FatherGiryus said:
It is just so tragic to see so many people literally squeezed out of society.
In this case I would say the effect is salutary.
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Minnesotan said:
The other thing about manospherians is that many (if not most) of them believe that soon real women will become obsolete once sexbots go on the market.
Lol this reminds me of a chat once about a gay guy bragging about artificial wombs and test tube babies, that women should cease to exist. I wonder if he still has those views...
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,290
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
Minnesotan said:
The other thing about manospherians is that many (if not most) of them believe that soon real women will become obsolete once sexbots go on the market.
You've missed the latest episode. Apparently, a dog is better than a woman in everything except sex (which they're not interested in, that's what he said). The jury is still out on the sammich issue.

If one must delve into the manosphere, it's better to do it through We Hunted the Mammoth, in order to get all the ridiculousness tempered with humour, and avoid granting pageclicks to the red pill sewer.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
nothing said:
FatherGiryus said:
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.
Wowowowowowo. That avatar is outta control. Did you make that?

Lol! That's brilliant.
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
"Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the Lord."
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
34
Porter ODoran said:
"Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the Lord."
Are you saying that Phil Collins fans are committers of abominations?
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Volnutt said:
Porter ODoran said:
"Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the Lord."
Are you saying that Phil Collins fans are committers of abominations?
Is not Phil Collins himself the abomination of desolation? Or was that Peter Gabriel? I get my pop performers mixed up...
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Sometimes I like to dream that oc.net is a 4X strategy game, and I can build an explorer unit and send it out, and as the fog of war gets eliminated I can see who is a sock puppet of another (probably better known) forum user. That would probably ruin the fun though.  8)
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
368
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
I was looking at an "inter-denominational" missions organization.  I find it interesting that Orthodoxy doesn't count, so evangelism is necessary in Greece, Romania, Ukraine, etc.

Because, you know, commies or whatever.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,509
Reaction score
269
Points
83
Age
41
Fwiw, when I was a Protestant I often heard it said that America was the largest missionary field in the world.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
368
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
hecma925 said:
I was looking at an "inter-denominational" missions organization.  I find it interesting that Orthodoxy doesn't count, so evangelism is necessary in Greece, Romania, Ukraine, etc.

Because, you know, commies or whatever.
I'm going to sign up for a trip to Romania.

While in Romania, you will serve with a strategic ministry partner and long term missionary, using your unique skills, gifts, and heart for ministry. This could look like:


•Kids Ministry: From VBS to after school programs and everywhere in between, you can share the love of Jesus through kids' favorite language: fun.
•Women's Ministry: You'll have the opportunity to share testimonies, sing, and pour into women in a local women's Bible study.
•Church Ministry: Encourage a local church through a sermon, worship, or sharing testimonies.
•Community Outreach: Through house visits and even giving food to low income families, you can give hope to those who need to hear it in the most important place in their lives: the home.
•Bible Distribution: You might even get to pass out copies of God's Word to those who have never read it.
•Teaching English: You'll make relationships with your students and teach them a valuable skill (a second language) at the same time!
http://www.adventures.org/trips/mission-trips.asp?locID=9&typeid=5


Awesome!  I can't wait to teach English, pass out infallible words of God, and "pour into women" (Seriously, what the hell?)!


Asteriktos said:
Fwiw, when I was a Protestant I often heard it said that America was the largest missionary field in the world.
I saw this sign in more than one sect.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
34
The conclusion, Darth Vader is the only one who can bring the light of God's word to Romanian commies!
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
12,290
Reaction score
174
Points
63
Age
48
Location
Camulodunum
RIP Pierre Boulez and Gilbert Kaplan. The old baton guard is almost all gone.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
:( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.
 

Minnesotan

Archon
Joined
Sep 14, 2014
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
William T said:
Arachne said:
RIP Pierre Boulez and Gilbert Kaplan. The old baton guard is almost all gone.

I own quite a few CD's conducted by Boulez.
He once mistakenly called Paul Simon "Al" at a party, and the rest was history.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
368
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
Bob2 said:
:( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.
This is the last eggnog recipe you will ever need, so please don't ever bother with store bought eggnog again. 
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Minnesotan said:
William T said:
Arachne said:
RIP Pierre Boulez and Gilbert Kaplan. The old baton guard is almost all gone.

I own quite a few CD's conducted by Boulez.
He once mistakenly called Paul Simon "Al" at a party, and the rest was history.
Since I was a child, that song has made me a bit sad. If you can figure out why, I'll write you a check for $2000, for saving me decades of therapy.

This is the last mystery of life.

Thank you.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Porter ODoran said:
Narcissistic injury involving the song or even just as the song was playing.
I know you are not used to working for a living, so good first try.

I'll also note, this is the first post of mine you taken an interest in and only to attempt an ill fated insult.

But curlytalk, I've no more insight into this sadness of mine than before your post. That you might earn for your household, I'll give you more grist for your mill.

Unlike most of my pathology which is wrapped in the embrace of my mother, this sadness has always seem to involve a glance of my father. Clearly as a child, I didn't understand this song's allusions to middle age, I wasn't that insightful as a child. Nor was my father middle aged when I heard this anthem.

Not sure I've ever seen the video, so you can assume I only heard the song.

So curly try again.
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
One can have a primary narcissistic entanglement with the mother and still suffer a secondary with the father. In fact, the mother and the father usually represent separate stages in the development of the disease. The mother causes the initial trauma, and the sufferer turns to the father, usually near pubescence, as a savior, which, if the father rejects this or is not up to it, can lead to deeper trauma and further failure of normal development. Narcissism is a powerful disease and is one of the most common emotional illnesses at this time.
 
Top