• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The one upside of waiting at the doctor's office: a good chunk of reading time.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Am I just imagining things or has the amount of posting decreased significantly lately?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I think so. I work nights and I'm not allowed to use my phone, except on breaks. So I post less, for one.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been way down, I noticed as well. Looking at the stats page, the trend started (probably) early last year, but the 'new post' totals has fallen much more rapidly this year. Going by posts per day in groups of 100...

January
100-199 posts per day - 1 day (3.2%)
200-299 posts per day - 13 days (41.9%)
300-399 posts per day - 11 days (35.5%)
400+ posts per day - 6 days (19.4%)

February (first 12 days)
100-199 posts per day - 0 days
200-299 posts per day - 6 days (50%)
300-399 posts per day - 5 days (41.7%)
400+ posts per day - 1 day (8.3%)

So up till here the majority of days fall in the 200-399 new posts range. Down some from 2015 levels, and way down from 2014 levels, but still a substantial amount above where it's been at the last 4 weeks:

February (remaining 17 days) and March (first 9 days)
100-199 posts per day - 12 days (46.2%)
200-299 posts per day - 11 days (42.3%)
300-399 posts per day - 3 days (11.5%)
400+ posts per day - 0 days

Numbers for the total page views each day, and total new members, seem about the same as they've been for months. However, new threads being created has also seen a noticeable drop: 356 new threads were started in January, and 348 in February; at the pace we're at right now, though, only about 270 new threads would be created in March. For comparison, the number of new threads created in the January-February-March months in 2015 was 467-381-453 and in 2014 it was 663-557-586. This is all very sloppy and general of course, but you don't really need more precise maths to see the confirmation of what you mentioned. And it could all be a temporary dip, or just a normal cycle of up/down/up/down of discussion boards, though the longer term numbers seem to indicate that this sliding has been happening a while now, and it's just more noticeable because of it speeding up. Again I haven't done precise mathematicals, but just eyeballin it...

There have been a couple times when the forum had less 'new posts' than the previous year, but each time it was just barely less posts, like 4k one time and 12k another, nothing like the 54+k dip last year. And at the pace things are going this year, we'll only hit ~90,000-100,000 total. Though... the total page views is on a pace to absolutely crush the old record. In fact, we're on pace to have more page views this year than the total page views from first 8 1/2 years of the forum combined. (though I guess the great majority are bots and such trawling old threads?)

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Am I just imagining things or has the amount of posting decreased significantly lately?
There's been nothing worthwhile to reply to.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I moved to ecafe.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
nothing said:
TheTrisagion said:
There's been nothing worthwhile to reply to.
Maybe nothing needs to post more so that there is not nothing worthwhile, but nothing posting something worthwhile? Let us see some grand creatio ex nihilo. You alone have the ability to do this.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
TheTrisagion said:
Playing around with numbers, it seems that if the rest of the year keeps the same rhythm, we will have 100k posts in 2016, which will be the least since 2008. Also, if the rest of March keeps that rhythm, there will be ~5100 posts by the end of the month, which is actually the least since July 2008.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6967740/Mexico-issues-desperate-alert-over-missing-truck-containing-radioactive-material.html

is more worrying

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Why am I paying Comcast $70 a month for an internet connection that grinds to a halt every other weekend?  :mad:

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Why am I paying Comcast $70 a month for an internet connection that grinds to a halt every other weekend?  :mad:
Because they're Comcast and they control the souls of us all.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Iconodule said:
RaphaCam said:
So the Antichrist will come five days after my chrismation... how lucky am I, eh? I`ll be brand new clean.  8)

Brother Nathanael : Why The Antichrist Will Come In 5 May 2016 ?
It takes a true master rhetor to shift one's head from one side to the other while glaring meaningfully at the camera.
I feel kind of sad for Brother Nathanael. I wouldn't enjoy having been raised a Jew, but he must have horrible grudge in his heart to use all this free pass for racism he probably supposes himself to have.

Also, I'm curious to know where did he find this prophecy about the Antichrist being a homosexual Jew.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
After years of effort and practice in perfecting the art of inept governance, PA has really taken things to a new level in the last 12 months...

- 2 Supreme court justices were suspended and eventually resigned in shame (the 2nd one resigned just today).

- The current PA Attorney General continues to work despite a suspended law license and her facing multiple felonies. These first two things are not unrelated.

- The politicians have played tug-of-war with the budget for most of the last 9+ months, during which time schools (of all levels) and industries, along with private citizens, felt the squeeze. In some cases they were squeezed completley out of the state. Schools are now suing the government--others have spoken of potential shut downs if things don't stabilize.

PA did adopt a new tourism motto: "Pennsylvania. Pursue Your Happiness." You can imagine the snark aftermath coming from PA residents commenting on those particular stories.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
How is it that expensive?  My internets is something like 20€/month. Supposedly 50mbits/s but I doubt it's actually that fast. Good enough for me though,

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Lol me and Justin paying that 2003 internet prices.

Bout to move to a different spot tho, time to negotiate!

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
BTW I've been mocked over my cell phone bill.

Verizon, 5GB, unlimited everything, at 70 a month and another 20 for the phone.

So...I get scolded for being cheap having a $30 Tmo plan unlimited everything except 100 minutes talk, to getting a real cell phone plan?

Can't win.

People who brag about utility bills should die. Always tryna one up someone.

R

Raylight

Dear God, sorry to disturb you, but... I feel that I should be heard
loud and clear!!!

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
After years of effort and practice in perfecting the art of inept governance, PA has really taken things to a new level in the last 12 months...

- 2 Supreme court justices were suspended and eventually resigned in shame (the 2nd one resigned just today).

- The current PA Attorney General continues to work despite a suspended law license and her facing multiple felonies. These first two things are not unrelated.

- The politicians have played tug-of-war with the budget for most of the last 9+ months, during which time schools (of all levels) and industries, along with private citizens, felt the squeeze. In some cases they were squeezed completley out of the state. Schools are now suing the government--others have spoken of potential shut downs if things don't stabilize.

PA did adopt a new tourism motto: "Pennsylvania. Pursue Your Happiness." You can imagine the snark aftermath coming from PA residents commenting on those particular stories.
I have been pursuing my happiness by complaining about our stupid state government and its inability to funds its schools.