Random Postings

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Bought a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible yesterday while I was visiting with my priest. Nice looking Bible all around.

celticfan1888 said:
I will live in Wyoming someday, it is decided!
Wyoming is amazing. Beautiful state.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Achronos does not get eaten by the eel at this time. I'm explaining to you because you look nervous.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
I'm sorry. That sounds exactly like my sickness itinerary. I probably coughed on this thread or something. Feel better!

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
So your are not planning return to Norway?
Not long term, no. Just my yearly visits for family. Now that I am getting married, I have to think about my spouses needs, and she really would go through a tough time there. Wyoming is just far enough from where we are to make a new start, but close enough for her to see her family, and for her to still accustomed to her surroundings.

Plus, Wyoming is beautiful, and I can have the horse farm I've always wanted there, and have my mountains. There's a university in Laramie, WY I can teach at after Grad School. Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D

Granted, this is all if football doesn't pan-out first (I'm actually in France right now on trial with PSG), which could take me all over the world, but either way after I retire I will be Wyoming-bound!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
I'm so sick I'm barely lucid. Anything I may have posted in the last 24 hours should be taken in that light.
I don't know how but somehow you made me sick.  I am semi-ok now, but I stayed home from work yesterday and even had to cancel a date.  I slept the vast majority of the last 30 hours or so, waking up at least once per hour.  I at one can of soup.  I still feel weak, but the fever broke last night at 2 am.
I'm sorry. That sounds exactly like my sickness itinerary. I probably coughed on this thread or something. Feel better!
Thank you!  I started feeling better yesterday.  It was a quick run thing.  The worst part was, since I slept so much the day before, last night I could only sleep two hours last night!

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
Welcome to pretty much all of my last autumn.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
Welcome to pretty much all of my last autumn.
Honestly, you really have my sympathy.  One day of that was more than I'd wish on anyone.  If you ever have a crappy time like that again I live to far to give you any comfort, like 7up or chicken soup, but I would be more than willing to refrain from saying 'postmodern' in that time. 

Not that I typically say 'postmodern', but I'd be more than careful not to slip out and say it, as out of character as it may otherwise be.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D
Ha! What Scandinavian food you're missing in US?

I see that you've yet to acquire Orthodox phronema. There isn't gender equality in Holy Russia. :police:

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
vamrat said:
ZealousZeal said:
Thank you!  I started feeling better yesterday.  It was a quick run thing.  The worst part was, since I slept so much the day before, last night I could only sleep two hours last night!
Tell me about it! The sickness passed quickly but my sleep schedule was wrecked for days- which is really saying something, because it was not great to begin with. Insomnia is my middle name.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
First time for this error message from oc.net:

You have exceeded the limit of 20 personal messages per hour.
Surely I have received this many or more in an hour before.

Weird.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
First time for this error message from oc.net:

You have exceeded the limit of 20 personal messages per hour.
Surely I have received this many or more in an hour before.

Weird.
I received your 20 PMs, sucks that I have to wait for your responses on the other 1238 other PMs I sent you.

celticfan1888

Archon
Reaction score
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D
Ha! What Scandinavian food you're missing in US?

I see that you've yet to acquire Orthodox phronema. There isn't gender equality in Holy Russia. :police:
Exactly, meatcakes, krumkake, sodd,grovbrød and butter, the meatballs, cod and potatoes, wienerbrød, etc.  You can't find much of the cuisine here in Louisiana (there is only one Swedish restaurant here, which serves some Norwegian dishes). But there are so many Scandinavian and German descendants there, they have SEVERAL restaurants in the relatively small population that have our types of food.

I have the Orthodox pride, but I'm not arrogant about it.  ;)

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
JamesR said:
Because it is. By our very nature we are not monogomous. Men were biologically designed to have several female partners. Hence why we can orgasm like every ten minutes whereas it takes nine months for one woman to have a child.
[Trigger Warning: This post contains Theory of Biological Evolution]

James,

Let us first examine the closest living genetic relative of the Homo sapiens, the Chimpanzee, because I told us to.

Chimpanzee males are much larger and stronger than Chimpanzee females. Chimpanzee males develop crests as a sign of dominance. Chimpanzee females express visible signs of ovulation. The Chimpanzee males fight over ovulating females and the stronger one gets the female. This results in many "polygamous" situations.

Now, let us examine the homo sapiens:

Homo sapiens males are not, comparatively, much larger or stronger than Homo sapiens females. They do not develop crests as a sign of dominance. The females do not express visible signs of ovulation; human males, therefore cannot fight over ovulating females.

Why did homo sapiens evolve this way, and what does it say about their 'natural' sexual practices?

[Trigger warning: Investigation in progress among biological anthropologists]

Recent discoveries have overturned the idea that hominids evolved to walk on two legs in order to walk and see across distances over savannah land. One of the oldest bipedal hominids walked on two legs in the forest. Because you can carry more food that way. Who is carrying food? The males. Why? To feed the female and her children.

Chimpanzee males ensure that they have the largest possibility of being the father of as many children as possible by mating with as many ovulating females as possible. But a hominid male invests a lot of time an energy in feeding his children in order to insure their survival. What stops a stronger male from simply impregnating his female and making the providing male a cuckold while he's not around?

Because hominid women don't show visible signs of ovulation, other males do not know when the female is fertile. So they don't know if mating with her will produce offspring from that mating or not. But this still leaves a problem: What makes the providing male more likely to impregnate the female on random chance than another male who mates with her?

Hormonal Pair Bonding, that's what.

Studies in homo sapiens have shown that pair-bonded partners have linked hormone cycles. Male testosterone peaks when female fertility peaks. This ensures that the pair-bonded, providing male has the greatest chance of impregnating his female and providing for his own children.

So, in short, the so-called "default" mating behavior of the hominid is serial monogamy with occasional straying. Interesting; that's just what you see today.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
celticfan1888 said:
Alpo said:
celticfan1888 said:
So your are not planning return to Norway?
Not long term, no. Just my yearly visits for family. Now that I am getting married, I have to think about my spouses needs, and she really would go through a tough time there. Wyoming is just far enough from where we are to make a new start, but close enough for her to see her family, and for her to still accustomed to her surroundings.

Plus, Wyoming is beautiful, and I can have the horse farm I've always wanted there, and have my mountains. There's a university in Laramie, WY I can teach at after Grad School. Plus, there are tons of Scandinavians there, so I can still get my food!  :D

Granted, this is all if football doesn't pan-out first (I'm actually in France right now on trial with PSG), which could take me all over the world, but either way after I retire I will be Wyoming-bound!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PSG.

Im a Marseille supporter, what else could you expect :p

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's you I love and not another
And I know our love will last forever
You I love and not another
And I know we'll always be together
Some have one love, two and three love
Four and five and six love
But I believe in one love
I believe in one love

Some don't feel secure unless they have a woman on each arm
They have to play the field, prove they have charm
They say don't lay your eggs in 1 basket
If the basket should fall all the eggs'll be broken

But I believe in one love
I believe in one love
Oh girl I believe in one love
I believe in one love

Oh girl it's not the everyday you find the woman of your dreams
Who will always be there no matter how bad things seem
Ever so faithful ever so sure
No man could ever ask for more

I believe in 1 love
I believe in one love, oh girl
I believe in one love
I believe, girl, oh yeah
In one love, in one love
In one love, in one love

I do, I do, I do
In one love
I do
In one love
I believe in one love, in one love.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGMQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elyrics.net%2Fread%2Fm%2Fmassive-attack-lyrics%2Fone-love-lyrics.html&ei=UfAdULKwC8eGyQGvwIDIBw&usg=AFQjCNGkUMJVjXieyUqN8r5vs5Z9eGg9xw

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
a rich man once told me, hey life's a funny thing / a poor man once told me that he can't afford to speak