• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Olivia said:
It's hard to believe it's been a while since I last posted here. I remember the days when I couldn't stay away from here for more than three hours. I guess I've just been busier lately.
Is it because, as an employee of the CIA, you are busy tracking down terrorists?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
vamrat said:
minasoliman said:
Volnutt said:
The difference between saying "Muslim" and saying "Moslem."

Huh, I had no idea until now that there were different connotations (other than "Moslem" being a little more old fashioned). Apparently "Muselman" (the oldest form) comes from Persian via Turkish whereas "Muslim" is an attempt at a transliteration directly from the Arabic.
I asked my folks about the "mosslim" vs "mozlem" pronunciations.  There is no Arabic word "mozlem", but there is "muznib", which means one who does evil.
So we should be referring to people like ISIS as Muznibs rather than Moslems?  I wouldn't want to use the wrong word.
LOL! sure...I think even some Muslims are doing so.  But there are others who still consider them "Muslims" but "extreme and misguided," especially Islamists.

I think the article though is stretching it.  There is no correct English equivalent of the Arabic word.  That's like me saying "those who spell their name Mena or Meena or Meina are bigots against the Mina's".  There is no correct "english" spelling.  You can't make the same comparison to the term "Colored" for black people because there is only one (well really two ways) to spell that word!

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Moslem sounds like a mainstream dialect outcome, muslim being the Classical Arabic form. Pretty much the same thing as Muhammad x Mohammed, or Makkah vs. Mecca, although in these cases the "un-Classical" form prevailed and the Classical would be most probably what a moslem would write on his blog. Classical Arabic didn't even have e and o. Mina can correct me if I'm speaking garbage, my Arabic is really 101. :p

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
My Arabic is mid-201 level  :p

The only other word I find remotely close in Arabic is "muzloom", but that means "innocent".  I'm not sure anyone is insulted by that.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
I thought you were a native.  ;D 

Classical Arabic doesn't have e and o, and it seems to be a mainstream Modern feature to turn short i and some a into e and short u into o. It was really a headache to look for the most proper way of pronouncing things when I used to studied Arabic, as I was some kind of perfectionist and no definitive answer would come up, for there are so many dialects and variations... Now I don't even bother to learn proper gender in other languages.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
My cat keeps bringing home garter snakes. He doesn't hurt them; he just brings them onto the backporch and stares at them.  :eek:

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Theophania said:
My cat keeps bringing home garter snakes. He doesn't hurt them; he just brings them onto the backporch and stares at them.  :eek:
That's funny.

At least he isn't leaving a dead baby rabbit on the porch like one of our cats did once.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
vamrat said:
minasoliman said:
Volnutt said:
The difference between saying "Muslim" and saying "Moslem."

Huh, I had no idea until now that there were different connotations (other than "Moslem" being a little more old fashioned). Apparently "Muselman" (the oldest form) comes from Persian via Turkish whereas "Muslim" is an attempt at a transliteration directly from the Arabic.
I asked my folks about the "mosslim" vs "mozlem" pronunciations.  There is no Arabic word "mozlem", but there is "muznib", which means one who does evil.
So we should be referring to people like ISIS as Muznibs rather than Moslems?  I wouldn't want to use the wrong word.
LOL! sure...I think even some Muslims are doing so.  But there are others who still consider them "Muslims" but "extreme and misguided," especially Islamists.

I think the article though is stretching it.  There is no correct English equivalent of the Arabic word.  That's like me saying "those who spell their name Mena or Meena or Meina are bigots against the Mina's".  There is no correct "english" spelling.  You can't make the same comparison to the term "Colored" for black people because there is only one (well really two ways) to spell that word!
Thanks.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Theophania said:
That's funny.

At least he isn't leaving a dead baby rabbit on the porch like one of our cats did once.
Luckily I'm not scared of snakes. With the first one, I gently poked it to try to get it to slither off my porch but it just reared its head and stared at me. I wasn't present for the snake gift tonight. I can't get the mental image of him dragging this snake through my yard out of my head. Where's he even finding them?!

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Theophania said:
Volnutt said:
Theophania said:
That's funny.

Luckily I'm not scared of snakes. With the first one, I gently poked it to try to get it to slither off my porch but it just reared its head and stared at me. I wasn't present for the snake gift tonight. I can't get the mental image of him dragging this snake through my yard out of my head. Where's he even finding them?!
My housemate boasts of how a cat he owned years ago once brought home a rattlesnake.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
When well respected actors like Robert de Niro encourages people to consider the anti-vax movement, my heart hardens just a little bit more at the possibility of intelligent people in Hollywood.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
minasoliman said:
When well respected actors like Robert de Niro encourages people to consider the anti-vax movement, my heart hardens just a little bit more at the possibility of intelligent people in Hollywood.
"For the time has come for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?"

I Peter 4.17

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Fluoride causes heart hardening.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
minasoliman said:
"For the time has come for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?"

I Peter 4.17
Are you saying that Hollywood is the household of God?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Context of the verse suggests otherwise

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I am doomed not necessarily listening to him, but listening to the hundreds others who use him as authority.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
I am doomed not necessarily listening to him, but listening to the hundreds others who use him as authority.
Don't you know that moms who Google are more educated than you doctors?

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Olivia said:
It's hard to believe it's been a while since I last posted here. I remember the days when I couldn't stay away from here for more than three hours. I guess I've just been busier lately.
Is it because, as an employee of the CIA, you are busy tracking down terrorists?
Well, yeah. But I'm not supposed to talk about my job. It's classified information.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I wish you were one of the doctors I am forced to interact with at work, mina. You seem like a good egg.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Olivia said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Olivia said:
Well, yeah. But I'm not supposed to talk about my job. It's classified information.
Change your avatar.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Olivia said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Olivia said:
Well,then don't.
Why would I even want to know?
Just get back to work or give back the pay.
Idle curiosity is a waste

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
Olivia said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Olivia said:
Well,then don't.
Why would I even want to know?
Just get back to work or give back the pay.
Idle curiosity is a waste
Sometimes, Len, I read your posts as if they're free style poetry.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
LenInSebastopol said:
RaphaCam said:
Funny how people in the past few decades have been taking opinions from professional pretenders.
You would prefer amateurs?
;)
Fair enough But it's funny how cinema made such a yet lowlife activity as acting something to be admired. I don't trust actors, I'd rather trust the spontaneity of a musician or a socialite, as they're not liars for a living and it's much easier to realise it when they're dumb or childish.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
LenInSebastopol said:
RaphaCam said:
Funny how people in the past few decades have been taking opinions from professional pretenders.
;)
Fair enough But it's funny how cinema made such a yet lowlife activity as acting something to be admired. I don't trust actors, I'd rather trust the spontaneity of a musician or a socialite, as they're not liars for a living and it's much easier to realise it when they're dumb or childish.
During Roman times actors were at the bottom of the social scale....pond scum, outcasts, Romans felt as you described....rather different than now.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
LenInSebastopol said:
RaphaCam said:
;)
You don't think socialites ever pretend to be something that they aren't?

Acting is not lying. It's interpretation- "How would a hypothetical person with such and such characteristics behave in such and such a situation?" If the character does not resemble traits that we see in real people and does not respond plausibly and consistently given their previously established personality, then the performance is going to ring hollow.

You might as well say that all fiction is lying and that therefore Christ was lying when He told His parables.

Also, not all music is improvisation. And even when it is, if it's not improvisation rooted in the musician's own understanding and experience of the music of others, then it's going to sound terrible. In the same way, a good actor has to be a student of human behavior.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Theophania said:
I wish you were one of the doctors I am forced to interact with at work, mina. You seem like a good egg.
:)

Thank you

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Volnutt said:
RaphaCam said:
LenInSebastopol said:
RaphaCam said:
;)
You don't think socialites ever pretend to be something that they aren't?
Sure they do, but they're usually the ones to give mental instability show-offs. I think Britney Spears's listeners, for instance, wouldn't take her seriously after she showed who she was her mental breakdown. Or say, Kim Kardashian (she probably thinks she's an actress), whose superficiality seems to be pretty obvious. As opposed to the "nice guise" persona of Brangelina and other icons. Sure, there are people from other areas playing the concerned citizen cards, but it seems to be massively an actors' thing. At least in my country.

These breakdowns such as Britney Spears and, say, Kurt Cobain (a grown child) had, go as opposed to the sudden death of Robbie Williams or Heath Ledger. Sad. I may be overspeculating, but that's how I see it.

Acting is not lying. It's interpretation- "How would a hypothetical person with such and such characteristics behave in such and such a situation?" If the character does not resemble traits that we see in real people and does not respond plausibly and consistently given their previously established personality, then the performance is going to ring hollow.

You might as well say that all fiction is lying and that therefore Christ was lying when He told His parables.
Acting is much more demanding than storytelling... High tier actors actually become other people on stage. I could go from the peculiar exercises a friend who studies drama (no, he's not dissimulate, I'm not categorical rejecting actors) practices to the mad drive Heath Ledger went into to play the Joker. BTW, although I was a youngster when he died, I remember some media speculating his whole Joker thing contributed to his silent breakdown. He locked himself in a hotel and kept a journal about his mad journey, pretty awesome.

Also, not all music is improvisation. And even when it is, if it's not improvisation rooted in the musician's own understanding and experience of the music of others, then it's going to sound terrible. In the same way, a good actor has to be a student of human behavior.

I was actually talking about their spontaneity outside the stage.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol! I like how the article goes through a history of facial reactions to his hand shake.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I can't articulate how much I'm craving a Five Guys cheeseburger. I should have just broken the fast on my birthday. Stupid scruples.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Theophania said:
I can't articulate how much I'm craving a Five Guys cheeseburger. I should have just broken the fast on my birthday. Stupid scruples.
Now there's a dinner idea...thanks!
My reaction will end with me banned if you post a picture of your cheeseburger.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Olivia said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Olivia said:
Change your avatar.
But I've grown attached to this one. I can say what my occupation is, I just can't give any details.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Theophania said:
One of the best burgers I ever had

People in Cali go crazy for something called in and out, but I find it to be hyped up for nothing

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Theophania said:
One of the best burgers I ever had

People in Cali go crazy for something called in and out, but I find it to be hyped up for nothing
heretic!