• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Google Translate for Greek is similarly horrible.  I've come across so many articles titled something like "The Archbishop meets with his girlfriend", accompanied by a photo of a bishop with some portly old man.

Trying to find the cake photos again?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Google Translate for Greek is similarly horrible.  I've come across so many articles titled something like "The Archbishop meets with his girlfriend", accompanied by a photo of a bishop with some portly old man.

Naughty, naughty!!

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
But has it ever called the Archbishop a (removed -ZZ)?
Hi Bob-

I edited your posts to bring it in line with what our forum's rules are about language. I encourage you to take a look at the rules. I am not issuing you any points, but please be mindful of this in the future.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

-ZZ, Other Topics Moderator

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:

Naughty, naughty!!
I sold Mor the DVD with director's commentary in both Greek and English, so he's covered.

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Today we was in different city and there is one Church, there was little girl, and when the priest seen the girl he say are you baptized and she say no, then he say you cannot go forward in the church, this is the law.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Indocern said:
Today we was in different city and there is one Church, there was little girl, and when the priest seen the girl he say are you baptized and she say no, then he say you cannot go forward in the church, this is the law.
Way to make friends and influence people. ::)

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Indocern said:
Way to make friends and influence people. ::)
I go many times in this church and we know each other with the priest well.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Indocern said:
He didn't let her enter the Church because she wasn't baptised? That's weird, I've heard about the non-baptised being actually led out of the nave after the dismissal of the catechumens but only that.

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Indocern said:
He didn't let her enter the Church because she wasn't baptised? That's weird, I've heard about the non-baptised being actually led out of the nave after the dismissal of the catechumens but only that.
He say that the proselytes stay in the narthex.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Indocern said:
He said "forward in the church," not "enter the church," so I'm not convinced you have developed an accurate picture of what happened.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
Indocern said:
He said "forward in the church," not "enter the church," so I'm not convinced you have developed an accurate picture of what happened.
I did, my mistype though, I should have asked if he didn't let her enter the nave.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
According to Tesla’s account of the crash, the car’s sensor system, against a bright spring sky, failed to distinguish a large white 18-wheel truck and trailer crossing the highway. ... The company’s statement deflected blame for the crash."Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles," the statement said.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
It seems I'll work on the Olympic Games as an OFA. That's short for "someone important and his family's handyman" (which can be in a wide range from the Prince of Monaco to some sports chairman from Central Africa). It'll certainly be fun, but maybe I shouldn't have told the committee that I speak German in my interview, since I'll definitely work with some German speaker because of that. I do know German, but I have few actual practice so being supposed to conversate in the language for three weeks straight is a pretty horrifying idea. They will turn me into a Bratwurst! I also told them I'm Orthodox, however, so there's a chance they put me with some Eastern European tycoon since they want us to work for similar people.
Well, I am very pessimistic about the Olympic Games, the situation of Brazil is quite chaotic and Rio de Janeiro is bankrupt and immersed in violence and crime. I don't have to many hopes for this country, a lot of people I know decided to leave, to Canada and USA or Australia. I hope one day Brazil desintegrate in a lot of countries in a peaceful way, the bureaucracy from Brasilia is a vicious cancer.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
juliogb said:
RaphaCam said:
It seems I'll work on the Olympic Games as an OFA. That's short for "someone important and his family's handyman" (which can be in a wide range from the Prince of Monaco to some sports chairman from Central Africa). It'll certainly be fun, but maybe I shouldn't have told the committee that I speak German in my interview, since I'll definitely work with some German speaker because of that. I do know German, but I have few actual practice so being supposed to conversate in the language for three weeks straight is a pretty horrifying idea. They will turn me into a Bratwurst! I also told them I'm Orthodox, however, so there's a chance they put me with some Eastern European tycoon since they want us to work for similar people.
Well, I am very pessimistic about the Olympic Games, the situation of Brazil is quite chaotic and Rio de Janeiro is bankrupt and immersed in violence and crime. I don't have to many hopes for this country, a lot of people I know decided to leave, to Canada and USA or Australia. I hope one day Brazil desintegrate in a lot of countries in a peaceful way, the bureaucracy from Brasilia is a vicious cancer.
I agree.

Meanwhile, America commemorates the glorious 4th of July. The jubilant day when Will Smith saved us all from the aliens.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
juliogb said:
RaphaCam said:
There are many Americans that feel the same way about the USA.  ;)

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
juliogb said:
RaphaCam said:
There are many Americans that feel the same way about the USA.  ;)

It is because those americans don't live here.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
No, but I appreciate animals in hats.

That dog looks like he's ready to party hard!

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Golden retrievers look always like that. Always ready to party.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Olivia said:
Jeowbzhwicyskq
Olivia-

You have been warned very recently for spamming the forum. For this post and your gibberish in the Prayer Forum again I am issuing a warning of 35 points. If you wish to appeal this decision you may do so by PMing me.

-ZZ, Other Topics Mod

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Olivia said:
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)
Dear Olivia, I am confused. Your profile says:
Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia
What Jurisdiction is Philadelphia that is not in Pennsylvania?

(Philadelphia, Mississippi?)

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
Olivia said:
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)
Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

The original and still the best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala%C5%9Fehir "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this."

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Porter ODoran said:
rakovsky said:
Olivia said:
Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

The original and still the best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala%C5%9Fehir "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this."
It is the original. St. Paul was foreseeing the glory of America.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Porter ODoran said:
rakovsky said:
Olivia said:
Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

It is the original. St. Paul was foreseeing the glory of America.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, so I just blew an entire Friday evening chasing down my g-g-grandfather's daughter's line, since I inherent X intact from father, just looking around and seeing what's going on. 

Probably nothing to do with me since my line appears to come through his son, but she innocently married a simple farm guy in 1875 over in Missouri, they had two children and died young.  Their young lady married, had a daughter who married into the Leach family.  The Leach family tied into the Dixon line through Jane Dixon, who handed off a full X chromosome to her son, and the Dixon's carried on back until about 1637 when Rose Ann Harlan came from Northern Ireland to the Americas. 

That's the Harlan family from England, who picked up the line from the Seamon's in 1620s through Deborah Seamon who passed an X to her son, back to the Langely family, who carried from the 16th century English Hungerford nobility, then the Heytesbury, the DeQuincy line, including Saher IV deQuincy 1st Earl of Winchester, Magna Charta Baron b. 1155

back to Lady Matilda Maud Huntington of Scotland who is the daughter of Waltheoff II Siwardson Earl Huntington, b. 1046, son of Ulf Thorgilsson
son of Thorgils Sprakaleg Styrjornsson, Styrbjorn the Strong King of Sweden Olafsson and Thyra Haraldsdottir of Denmark, from Harald I Herbastus Bluetooth Gormsson de Crepon King of Denmark. 

Styrbjorn is son of King Olaf II Mitkg Bjornsson, son of King Bjorn III of Sweden "the Old" Eriksson, son of Erik "King of Sweden" Edmundsson b. abt 849 in Uppsala Sweden

who presumably crawled out of the dirt somewhere? 

and what is with all the women folk going off to Y, Somme, Picardie, France to die?  Even after they became English nobility some of them were still going off to die there.

Seems like all the people so proud of their English heritage really come from either France or the Netherlands.

Anywhoo, happy to see my kid has at least double Revolutionary War lines, Civil War Union, WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Gulf War, and a woman survivor of the Salem witch trials. 

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
That's awesome. My family researches have been unfortunately a bit inconclusive. There is my great-great-grandfather Francisco de Sá, born in the early 1880's and dead in the 1970's, there was his father whose name I don't recall but I have some documents belonging to him regarding his farm, and, well, my family among Francisco's descendants claimed to descend from the original Sá family who founded Rio de Janeiro. Well, it seems former governor of Rio de Janeiro, Salvador Correia de Sá (d. 1631), gave land in Volta Redonda (the city where my Sá ancestors were from) to one of his sons, whose name I forgot too. Browsing a genealogical site, I found out the Sá family who founded Rio descended from marriages with Portuguese nobility, making us all descendants from Afonso the Conqueror, first king of Portugal, who in turn descended from Fernando the Great, founder of Spanish monarchy, Hugh Capet, and, in turn, from Charlemagne!

Someday I may recover those documents and rediscover the missing links, let's see. :)

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
That's awesome. My family researches have been unfortunately a bit inconclusive. There is my great-great-grandfather Francisco de Sá, born in the early 1880's and dead in the 1970's, there was his father whose name I don't recall but I have some documents belonging to him regarding his farm, and, well, my family among Francisco's descendants claimed to descend from the original Sá family who founded Rio de Janeiro. Well, it seems former governor of Rio de Janeiro, Salvador Correia de Sá (d. 1631), gave land in Volta Redonda (the city where my Sá ancestors were from) to one of his sons, whose name I forgot too. Browsing a genealogical site, I found out the Sá family who founded Rio descended from marriages with Portuguese nobility, making us all descendants from Afonso the Conqueror, first king of Portugal, who in turn descended from Fernando the Great, founder of Spanish monarchy, Hugh Capet, and, in turn, from Charlemagne!

Someday I may recover those documents and rediscover the missing links, let's see. :)

Yes!  You should definitely develop and preserve all that, especially take care with primary documents.  It's only through people taking care that we have histories of families.  Here we have historical societies that will keep documents in perfect climate conditions for preservation.

I don't know if you have children, but this is something to pass on. 

Nowadays genealogy is so much easier with computers.  There are software programs for entering family trees.  I was steered toward one called Magic Roots which has a free level that can be upgraded.  That program can be uploaded into a GEDCOM for comparison with others' ancestry.

It's a little clunky, but not as difficult as some of the genetic analysis sites, like GEDMatch. 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
O Greeks!  You have thrown off the Turkish yoke!  You may commence using deodorant.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Just imagine the outcry that would result if Catholics or Orthodox were using this sort of entryist "stealth ecumenism" to reel in Protestant congregations (or each other's congregations)....

Hmm, actually, is there any historical precedent for doing this sort of thing? Not that I'd personally endorse underhanded tactics or anything.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Minnesotan said:
Just imagine the outcry that would result if Catholics or Orthodox were using this sort of entryist "stealth ecumenism" to reel in Protestant congregations (or each other's congregations)....

Hmm, actually, is there any historical precedent for doing this sort of thing? Not that I'd personally endorse underhanded tactics or anything.
How do you decide what deserves its own thread and what should just be thrown into Random Postings or in some other thread?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ironic how "safe sex" in one sense expired with the generation that coined the term: In our grandfathers' or great-grandfathers' day, it was very unlikely someone could die from even the most licentious life; then came legalized abortions and AIDS, and many sexual choices became very unsafe, indeed, life-threatening.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Ironic how "safe sex" in one sense expired with the generation that coined the term: In our grandfathers' or great-grandfathers' day, it was very unlikely someone could die from even the most licentious life; then came legalized abortions and AIDS, and many sexual choices became very unsafe, indeed, life-threatening.
Ever heard of syphilis, Porter? HPV? Hepatitis B or C?