• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
mike said:
A dude from Pakistan has been sending me some weird stuff on fb that he wants to become a priest in the PAOC and how I should help him (as well as his "conversion stories", various deliberations, greetings, and prayers. Frankly, I have no clue what he wants from me and I have been politely trying to make him understand he should leave me alone. He has finally started getting it.
You can send him my Facebook profile, these talks usually amuse me (in a non-mean way, I just enjoy the fact Netodoxy has led me to meet all possible kinds of people online).

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
mike said:
A dude from Pakistan has been sending me some weird stuff on fb that he wants to become a priest in the PAOC and how I should help him (as well as his "conversion stories", various deliberations, greetings, and prayers. Frankly, I have no clue what he wants from me and I have been politely trying to make him understand he should leave me alone. He has finally started getting it.
What led him to pick the PAOC?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
mike said:
What led him to pick the PAOC?
That's a good question. I asked that him about 3 times. He didn't give me a clear answer.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Could some day be Pennsylvania Antiochian Orthodox Church, centered in Ligonier PA. They've got a fort and everything, so no worries. "Once home to original settlers of North America, now home to the original founders of the Church." Might have to trim that for the bumper sticker.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
My father's said he would like to attend a DL in Polish. He is drunk so IDK what he will do on sunday but I'm going to wake up him an hour earlier (the DL in Polish begins an hour earlier than the DL he is used to attend). AFAIK the only service in Polish he'd attended was Great Friday matins once.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Isn't Neil DeGrasse Tyson's philosophical statement of the "cosmic perspective" essentially an atheistic astronomer's inadvertent Buddhism?
Not intentionally, I don't think. Though if perhaps Sagan ("pale blue dot") and others were influenced by Buddhism there is some indirect influence there. A quote by an astronaut along the same lines has been circulating on social media, especially for the last couple days, as well. Also, fwiw, Tyson considers himself an agnostic, though atheists try to get people like him, Michael Shermer, etc. to acknowledge that they are atheists according to how those atheists define the term, just as some agnostics try to get people like Dawkins to admit that they aren't 100% sure in their atheism.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Regardless of his own labels for himself, he's a proven activist anti-religionist, and, yes, the new show puts belligerent anti-religion front-and-center. In fact, it's cast as a "revival" of anti-religious science and marketed heavily to the neo-atheist movement among young people.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Cyrillic said:
What is it with women these days? They all row.
You got a lot of canals there.
I suppose that might have something to do with it. But still, picturesque canals are there to be looked at, not to be abused for something as tedious as physical exercise.

Oh well, at least rowing isn't yoga.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Cyrillic said:
I suppose that might have something to do with it. But still, picturesque canals are there to be looked at, not to be abused for something as tedious as physical exercise.

The people who row probably do yoga too.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Cyrillic said:
Arachne said:
Cyrillic said:

The people who row probably do yoga too.
What has the world come to, Alpo?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I would blame the New Calendar. It's Freemasonry and leads to yoga and gluten-free diet.

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Everything is a mystery, a testimony of God's unlimited nature.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpo said:
mike said:
FatherGiryus said:
hecma925 said:
Things go better with Coke!
Except diabetes.
And mentos. And stomach ulcers.
You've tried combining coke with mentos? What's wrong with you? Coke should be combined only with bad rum.
Fruity mentos are just fine with coke. Mint ones, not so much.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Asteriktos said:
Could some day be Pennsylvania Antiochian Orthodox Church, centered in Ligonier PA. They've got a fort and everything, so no worries. "Once home to original settlers of North America, now home to the original founders of the Church."
Not much more of a stretch than most of the "American" saints. I'm pulling for Ligonier, fort and all!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I thought the one positive of Trump winning would be hearing less rants by my upstairs neighbor about Obama, non-whites, liberal conspiracies to harvest his organs*, yada yada. No such luck so far.  8)  :mad:

*I made this one up because I don't recall the details of the absurd conspiracies he actually rants about

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I thought the one positive of Trump winning would be hearing less rants by my upstairs neighbor about Obama, non-whites, liberal conspiracies to harvest his organs*, yada yada. No such luck so far.  8)  :mad:

*I made this one up because I don't recall the details of the absurd conspiracies he actually rants about

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I'll paypal $10 to the first person who uploads a vid of themselves eating a slice of chocolate cake with mustard icing. Bonus of $3 for banana pepper sprinkles.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Asteriktos said:
I'll paypal $10 to the first person who uploads a vid of themselves eating a slice of chocolate cake with mustard icing. Bonus of $3 for banana pepper sprinkles.
I'd be OK with that if I had chocolate cake here. A restaurant across the street is making bacon and doce de leite milk shakes, I want to taste them before Advent starts.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Will you buy the cake with specifications for me?

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
A restaurant across the street is making bacon and doce de leite milk shakes, I want to taste them before Advent starts.
Sounds delicious! Please let me know how it turns out. I'm planning my Christmas brunch and you've got me thinking I should include a dish that features dulce de leche. My mind then quickly went to dulce de batata which might make a good treat during the Fast.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
genesisone said:
RaphaCam said:
A restaurant across the street is making bacon and doce de leite milk shakes, I want to taste them before Advent starts.
Sounds delicious! Please let me know how it turns out. I'm planning my Christmas brunch and you've got me thinking I should include a dish that features dulce de leche. My mind then quickly went to dulce de batata which might make a good treat during the Fast.
If you bake one litre of milk with two cups of sugar, continuously stirring it with a spoon, you can make doce de leite home. :) 15 minutes on middle fire, then you get the fire really low and keep stirring it until it gets that characteristic consistence and colour.

I've heard about people who do it with soy milk but I have no idea of the recipe.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
genesisone said:
RaphaCam said:
If you bake one litre of milk with two cups of sugar, continuously stirring it with a spoon, you can make doce de leite home. :) 15 minutes on middle fire, then you get the fire really low and keep stirring it until it gets that characteristic consistence and colour.

I've heard about people who do it with soy milk but I have no idea of the recipe.

you can also skip the stirring and do this......and yes...it works

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-dulce-de-leche-canned-condensed-milk.html

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
RaphaCam said:
genesisone said:
RaphaCam said:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-dulce-de-leche-canned-condensed-milk.html
My mother makes something similar by cooking an unopened can of sweeteened condensed milk in a pressure cooker.  Forgot the time it needs, but when you finally crack the can with a 'church key,' what comes out is 'pure gold'...

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
DeniseDenise said:
RaphaCam said:
genesisone said:
RaphaCam said:

Wow! This may save me a lot of arm. :p

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I just got two nonsensical private messages from a Gnostic-Muslim guy. Something about his You Tube videos.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
biro said:
I just got two nonsensical private messages from a Gnostic-Muslim guy. Something about his You Tube videos.
I highly encourage reporting them...this way the more we get harassing pm's like this, the more of a reason for an incentive to deal with  such a person from the higher ups.