Random Postings

IS

High Elder
Reaction score
174 pages of postings and can't figure out what's going on  ???

Cephas

Elder
Reaction score
+ Irini nem ehmot,

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Hey, did anyone see that game of "Bugs Eat the Yankees"? ???  I'll bet you're just laughing your way through this series, aren't you, cleveland?
The bugs were attacking us too - and our pitcher did just fine :D ;D 

I'm not laughing - I'm cheering.  And the rest of the world will be, too, once we bounce the Yankees.

James

Archon
Reaction score
Those bugs came and left after they accomplished their objective...was it a Divine act ?

I think they were called Canadian Lancers ...

James

Archon
Reaction score
Millions of bugs disrupt Yankees-Indians game in late innings 

Oct 5 11:42 PM US/Eastern
CLEVELAND - This will forever be known as the Bug Game.       

A swarm of insects descended on Jacobs Field in the eighth inning of the Cleveland Indians' 2-1 victory over the New York Yankees on Friday night, leading to a bizarre scene featuring players from both teams waving their arms and gloves in an attempt to keep the pesky bugs away.

The two teams kept playing as millions of bugs nagged players on the field and in the dugouts.

The Yankees were on the verge of tying the series when the pesky insects arrived in a scenario only Alfred Hitchcock could imagine.

The bugs seemed to subside somewhat after the game went into extra innings. Travis Hafner ended it with an RBI single in the 11th inning, leading to a celebration by the Indians in the infield.

With the Yankees ahead 1-0, the bugs clearly affected Joba Chamberlain and helped the Indians tie the game. Bug spray did little good - Chamberlain's neck, face and hat were covered with the bugs, and he tried to spit them out of his mouth.

"There's not much you can do about it," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "He was having trouble seeing out there. I'll tell you one thing about the kid he never lost his composure. Unfortunately it was at a bad time."

Almost everyone was affected by the cloud, with players on both teams and the umpires trying in vain to swat them away.

Chamberlain was sprayed with insect repellant when he took the mound in the eighth and fans booed as a member of the Yankees staff sprayed him down again before facing Travis Hafner.

Chamberlain, who was in command when he took over in the seventh, lost control. He walked two, hit a batter and threw a pair of wild pitches - he had only one wild pitch during the season.

Chamberlain's second wild pitch let Grady Sizemore score the tying run from the third base.

Shortstop Derek Jeter and second baseman Robinson Cano swatted away the bugs with their hats between pitches. Alex Rodriguez used his glove and hat.

The bugs, which come out in warm weather, have plagued Jacobs Field in the past. During one memorable September 2004 game, play was stopped several times to allow players, who complained of swallowing the bugs while running the bases, were sprayed with repellant. The Indians lost to the Angels 6-1.

Ron Harrison, an entomologist who works for Atlanta-based Orkin Pest Control Inc., said the annoying bugs were a type of midge, an insect related to mosquitoes.

During warm fall weather, midges often breed on the outskirts of lakes.

"My feeling is that there has been some breeding around Lake Erie, and air currents are pushing them onto land in mass numbers," Harrison said.

The insects don't have piercing, sucking mouth parts, he said.

"They aren't really biters - more of a nuisance," Harrison said

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone here watch unranked and last place Stanford beat No. 1 USC in LA?  Bye-bye to the Trojans' winning streak at home. :-*

I read something about Trojan QB John David Booty throwing four interceptions, one of which the Cardinal ran back for a TD--the Cardinal won 24-23.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Did anyone here watch unranked and last place Stanford beat No. 1 USC in LA?  Bye-bye to the Trojans' winning streak at home. :-*

I read something about Trojan QB John David Booty throwing four interceptions, one of which the Cardinal ran back for a TD--the Cardinal won 24-23.
That was pretty sweet.  I hate USC and the entire PAC-10 by extension but I love seeing the underdog win. 

Speaking of win, I'm so happy my Missouri Tigers absolutely crushed and humiliated Nebraska.  Let the good times roll!  ;D

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I saw the saddest thing today at the greek festival today.  A greek boy in between two embarresed greek parents with a shirt that said " Black and Proud" :D

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Ian Lazarus said:
I saw the saddest thing today at the greek festival today.  A greek boy in between two embarresed greek parents with a shirt that said " Black and Proud" :D
Would it have been better if the shirt said, "Black Power?"

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
It would have been more hillarious if it had been a Malcolm X "By Any Means Necessary" shirt.

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Or a picture of Hewey and the black panthers with the slogan "We Shall Overcome". :D

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
That was pretty sweet.  I hate USC and the entire PAC-10 by extension but I love seeing the underdog win.
Well, you know the problem with this mentality, don't you?  EVERY Pac-10 conference game ends with a Pac-10 team winning. ;)  GO DUCKS!

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Someone has yet to tell the Americans that not only does baseball not count as a sport, we really don't care about it, period. ;) :p

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ukiemeister said:
Someone has yet to tell the Americans that not only does baseball not count as a sport, we really don't care about it, period. ;) :p 
Someone has yet to tell the Canadians that they have bad taste in everything except hockey, and Americans are doing it better than they are ;)  Sorry Canuckie, don't care what you think of Baseball - it hasn't had a number of teams move south of the border or bankrupt (ahem, NHL).

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
:p

We lost our AAA Baseball team because it moved south. The CBL folded a few years ago for finacial reasons. The current baseball up here is a joke.......and if you think throwing money around in hockey means anything......I watched the Detroit-Edmonton game tonight.....in Detroit......so-called Hockey Town......the stands were half empty! Whereas Edmonton has sold out 4 straight seasons of home games......we also play football better and can kick you around in rugby......and we have better beer, rye, whisky, coffee.....

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
But it;s all negated by Celine Dione.  You have cursed the world with that wreched voice.  Blargh! :p

Blame Canada! ;)

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ya but she is from Quebec. 49.8% of Quebecers don't even want to be Canadian. :p

And dude! We have the Guess Who!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLYLLxjX3Yw

Ian Lazarus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering why I never liked that song.  ;)

Not impressed by backbacon chompin' hippies, or the regular grass eating/smoking San Fran variety neither!

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's okay to disagree......Canadians are polite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEsk8b09cQM

By the way, It's Dion, not Dione. :p

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ukiemeister said:
We lost our AAA Baseball team because it moved south. The CBL folded a few years ago for finacial reasons. The current baseball up here is a joke....... 
'Cause you guys stink at it.

Ukiemeister said:
and if you think throwing money around in hockey means anything......I watched the Detroit-Edmonton game tonight.....in Detroit......so-called Hockey Town......the stands were half empty! Whereas Edmonton has sold out 4 straight seasons of home games......
Um, considering it's practically your national sport, it is an embarrassment that you guys can't keep your own teams financially solvent.  You may not like the initial attendance in Detroit, but at least the thugs in that town care enough about the team to keep it where it is.

Ukiemeister said:
we also play football better and can kick you around in rugby......and we have better beer, rye, whisky, coffee..... 
This sentence is indicative of your lack of taste.  I'll concede rugby (and yes, I do consider it a real and serious sport); but your "football" (whether you're using the word in the European or American sense) is a joke - considering our NFL castoffs can become CFL MVP's - and your beers are mostly tasteless (I do like Labatts, but c'mon, most of your beers are terrible), there's no way you make whiskey better than even one of our 50 states, let alone the collection, and coffee?????????????????  Tell me you threw that in to see if I was paying attention...

Reaction score
American Woman...Lenny Kravitz version much better. Harder, less bell-bottomed pants or goofy electric piano...hippie music ...what were they thinking?

Can we blame Canada for disco while we are at it?  Blight on civilization! :p

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Meh......anyhow.......I stick to my guns......we have better hockey, better football, better rugby, better liquor, better coffee, better doughnuts......better everything.....OH CANADA!

Friul

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Loc
Website
www.iheu.org
Ukiemeister said:
Meh......anyhow.......I stick to my guns......we have better hockey, better football, better rugby, better liquor, better coffee, better doughnuts......better everything.....OH CANADA!
Call me unpatriotic but I'd take Grappa, Caffe corretto grappa, and Zeppoli any day over the garbage served here.  :p  And for sports, well, all that matters is European football.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
The difference between "involvement" and "commitment" can be seen in a dish of ham and eggs.
The chicken was "involved", the pig was "committed".

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
The difference between "involvement" and "commitment" can be seen in a dish of ham and eggs.
The chicken was "involved", the pig was "committed".
I do not like green eggs and meat... It's you that I would like to eat.