• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alpo said:
First thing to do when arriving to office: drying beard. The manliest way to start one's work day.
I believe the correct answer is taking a dump.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
lol my girlfriend wants me to shave because some chick she just pretended to like told her it looks manly
Leave her. No godly woman would told man to shave.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpo said:
No godly woman would told man to shave.
Unless he could be mistaken for a Wookiee. No godly woman dates outside her species.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
RaphaCam said:
lol my girlfriend wants me to shave because some chick she just pretended to like told her it looks manly
Is the reverse true in your weird hipster world where Ned Kelly beards and handlebar moustaches are all the rage for reasons that have nothing to do with piety?  No "godly" man would tell a woman to shave her legs or pits?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Alpo said:
RaphaCam said:
Is the reverse true in your weird hipster world where Ned Kelly beards and handlebar moustaches are all the rage for reasons that have nothing to do with piety?  No "godly" man would tell a woman to shave her legs or pits?
What's that got to do with anything? Both men and women have armpit hair. Men's beards are different: they're a secondary sex characteristic, like enlarged breasts for women. You tell a man he had to remove a male sex characteristic and you demean him as a male.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked this tweet:
https://twitter.com/deaconzafari/status/867777033820143616

Just some translation notices:
shoria=censor
bokhor=smoke from incense
taunts=aunts
odaas=liturgy

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
What a sad May for music.  Lord have mercy. 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
What would you say is the key difference between a well-dressed man on a bicycle and a poorly-dressed man on a unicycle?

That's right -- a'tire.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
What would you say is the key difference between a well-dressed man on a bicycle and a poorly-dressed man on a unicycle?

That's right -- a'tire.
;D

I'm adding this to my arsenal; I already have excommunication threats for bad jokes :p

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I just want to relate how happy it makes me when I see Asteriktos has posted more of quotations in the Fathers threads. Thank you, Justin.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
My mother's take on ecumenism, from a recent letter: "Well, not to write a long treatise on it, but if you follow the news at all you will see how we are right now on the very brink of a one-world government and 666! It is definitely coming together. A one-world Bible and a one-world religion are coming together. I do believe that it will come in our dear grandchildren's lifetime."

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
My mother's take on ecumenism, from a recent letter: "Well, not to write a long treatise on it, but if you follow the news at all you will see how we are right now on the very brink of a one-world government and 666! It is definitely coming together. A one-world Bible and a one-world religion are coming together. I do believe that it will come in our dear grandchildren's lifetime."
;D

I hear the same things from my family. When I was a kid, they were positive the rapture was going to happen in their lifetime. Now that they are close to 70, the goalposts are changing.  :p

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:

That's right -- a'tire.

I didnt understand it, probably just native english speakers understand.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
juliogb said:
Porter ODoran said:

That's right -- a'tire.

I didnt understand it, probably just native english speakers understand.
"Attire" -- clothing -- and "a tire" -- a rubber wheel -- are homonyms. The joke is meant to be told rather than written.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Alpo said:
RaphaCam said:
What's that got to do with anything? Both men and women have armpit hair. Men's beards are different: they're a secondary sex characteristic, like enlarged breasts for women. You tell a man he had to remove a male sex characteristic and you demean him as a male.
That's ridiculous.  A man with a beard is not necessarily more masculine than a man who shaves and to state that "no godly woman would tell a man to shave" is stupid.  If a girl doesn't feel like being scratched up by a beard when she kisses a guy and asks him to shave, that doesn't mean she's a harridan and it doesn't mean he's an emasculated weakling if he complies.  Presently, I have a beard, and no complaints from my woman, and I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it, but I not delusional enough to think that I'd somehow lose my strength or masculinity a la Sampson if tomorrow I decided to shave.  I'd still have the same morals, the same code and set of personal guidelines, the same work ethic, the same skill set in terms of defending myself, and all of my other inherently masculine traits, with or without the beard.  I'd still be the exact same guy, shave or no shave for whatever reason.  Brock Lesnar is not less masculine than Zack Galifianakis.  And yeah, both men and women have armpit and leg hair, but you're missing the point.  If a guy prefers that his woman shave those areas because he finds that more attractive, he's not demeaning her by asking her to change something God made to grow on her, and by the same token, if a woman asks her man to shave because she finds that more attractive, she's not asking him to scrape off a badge of his masculinity.  He's still just as much a man with or without hair on his face just like she's still the same woman whether or not she choses to shave her legs.

Bottom line, I think throwback hipster culture that fetishizes things like beards, handlebar moustaches, tiny houses, gluten free foods, mandolins, suspenders, miscellaneous aspects of 19th century American or British culture, etc. etc., literally ad nauseam, sucks big time.  If this is your idea of "masculine"...

...you have no idea what masculine is.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Talk about random. A woman who's undergone a mastectomy is still a woman, too.
Of course she is, although a beard and breasts aren't really comparable, since I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it without being traumatized, while a woman who has her breast surgically removed, not so much.  And you're still missing the point.  Alpo, a self-declared hipster, said, "No godly woman would ask a man to shave".  That's a stupid statement.  Even if he meant it in jest, it's representative of and derives from a subculture that is worse than goths and bronies combined.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Talk about random. A woman who's undergone a mastectomy is still a woman, too.
Of course she is, although a beard and breasts aren't really comparable, since I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it without being traumatized, while a woman who has her breast surgically removed, not so much.  And you're still missing the point.  Alpo, a self-declared hipster, said, "No godly woman would ask a man to shave".  That's a stupid statement.  Even if he meant it in jest, it's representative of and derives from a subculture that is worse than goths and bronies combined.
Maybe you need a broader view. It's not like hipsters invented the beard. Life has meaning outside popular culture. Fair point about a beard being just hair, tho.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Maybe you need a broader view.
Not really.  I was evaluating the remark based on the context in which it was made, but even evaluated on its own merits in total isolation from its author and the context, it is still a ridiculous statement in the modern West.  The idea that a woman living in the modern West who prefers that her husband shave is an "ungodly" person is stupid.  She might be more godly than a thousand poseurs in beards and headscarves.

Porter ODoran said:
It's not like hipsters invented the beard. Life has meaning outside popular culture.
Fetishizing the beard as a badge of masculinity in the modern West is silly whether it's hipsters doing the fetishizing or not.  They're just particularly egregious for a number of reasons.  We're not ancient Greeks, pre-Peter the Great Russians, or members of any other culture in which beard = masculine, bald-faced = vulnerable youth a la Telemachus and Penelope's suitors.  In the modern United States, I can name a thousand softies with beards and a thousand hard rocks without.  The same goes for the shallowness of equating the beard with piety and a shaven face with immorality in a modern American parish.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Maybe you need a broader view.
Not really.  I was evaluating the remark based on the context in which it was made, but even evaluated on its own merits in total isolation from its author and the context, it is still a ridiculous statement in the modern West.  The idea that a woman living in the modern West who prefers that her husband shave is an "ungodly" person is stupid.  She might be more godly than a thousand poseurs in beards and headscarves.

Porter ODoran said:
It's not like hipsters invented the beard. Life has meaning outside popular culture.
Fetishizing the beard as a badge of masculinity in the modern West is silly whether it's hipsters doing the fetishizing or not.  They're just particularly egregious for a number of reasons.  We're not ancient Greeks, pre-Peter the Great Russians, or members of any other culture in which beard = masculine, bald-faced = vulnerable youth a la Telemachus and Penelope's suitors.  In the modern United States, I can name a thousand softies with beards and a thousand hard rocks without.  The same goes for the shallowness of equating the beard with piety and a shaven face with immorality in a modern American parish.
Do you have trouble growing a beard?

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Do you actually read the replies of people you're dialoguing with?

Antonious Nikolas said:
Presently, I have a beard...I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it...
Antonious Nikolas said:
I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it...
So no, Dr. Freud, I don't have a problem with Alpo's statement because of beard envy.  I have a problem with it because it is shallow, presumptuous and stupid and because the millennial hipster culture sucks.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Do you actually read the replies of people you're dialoguing with?

Antonious Nikolas said:
Presently, I have a beard...I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it...
Antonious Nikolas said:
I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it...
So no, Dr. Freud, I don't have a problem with Alpo's statement because of beard envy.  I have a problem with it because it is shallow, presumptuous and stupid and because the millennial hipster culture sucks.
I guess you're just a very intense guy.

I'm not sure where you got the idea the beard is historically rare. If you were to look at American history, you'd find years and places when beards were standard would be very prevalent. Maybe the on the Victorian Era was covered when you had a sick day?

And you can't get around the fact the beard is a natural, God-given male secondary sex characteristic.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I guess you're just a very intense guy.
Praise from Caesar is praise indeed.

Porter ODoran said:
I'm not sure where you got the idea the beard is historically rare.
Whoever said the beard is historically rare?  I said the idea that a woman who asks her man to shave his beard is "ungodly" is a stupid one in contemporary Western society.  The fact that I introduced the notion that such would not be the case in a number of other times and places to this discussion demonstrates that I'm aware of the connotations the beard carried in those societies if not our own.

Porter ODoran said:
If you were to look at American history, you'd find years and places when beards were standard would be very prevalent.
I'm aware.  I'm also aware that we don't live in such an era.  I'm further aware that the fact that beards fell in and out of fashion in various cultures at various points in history does nothing to undermine my essential points that:

a. Alpo's statement was a stupid one
b. The hipster culture which spawned it sucks big time.

Porter ODoran said:
Maybe the on the Victorian Era was covered when you had a sick day?
There you go not reading again.  One of my major stated criticisms of hipster culture was their aping of things Victorian.

Porter ODoran said:
And you can't get around the fact the beard is a natural, God-given male secondary sex characteristic.
I don't have to, since you can't get around the fact that shaving one's beard is neither emasculating nor indicative of a lack of piety.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Wow. You come across tonight as someone who lives in a very narrow and emotional inner world. I'm not sure what about the 1950s so strongly recommends them to you as a universal standard of culture, fashion, masculinity, and godliness, but even granting Don Draper a place among the saints wouldn't explain why variations from him seem to make you so angry.

As for your last sortie -- shaving is emasculating by definition. It's it also impious? Alpo was making an ironic joke, but I'll let you take the subject up with Clement of Alexandria. By the time that brilliant, satirical, but pious mind is done with you, I assume you'll be feeling grateful for every scrap of masculinity you maintain.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
1)A lot of women I've dated prefer either full facial hair or a baby face...they hate stubble because it hurts.  This is the worst of all worlds for me, as I grow stubble quick.  Typical.

2)As for directly taking fashion advice from just one woman, or just women in general...that's a dangerous game.  At the end of the day you have to ask yourself this, do you want to be dressed by your mother every day?  The girlfriend/wife is just a lateral move.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
William T said:
2)As for directly taking fashion advice from just one woman, or women in general...that's a dangerous game.  At the end of the day you have to ask yourself this, do you want to be dressed by your mother every day?  The girlfriend/wife is just a lateral move.
Yeah, I let her put jeans on me, but I like my beard.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Reading this board tonight, in between Stanley Cup action, has been a hoot and a half :)

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Reading this board tonight, in between Stanley Cup action, has been a hoot and a half :)
I'm stuck at work.  So far I've only been able to watch the Pens twice during the whole playoffs  :( :( :(

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
William T said:
2)As for directly taking fashion advice from just one woman, or women in general...that's a dangerous game.  At the end of the day you have to ask yourself this, do you want to be dressed by your mother every day?  The girlfriend/wife is just a lateral move.
So you've actually spent time with her in person?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
William T said:
So you've actually spent time with her in person?
I did, but the jeans part was by distance, I was more of a shorts guy even in law lectures.  ;D  We've met twice, there was going to be a third time, but we had some problems (we even baked her a cheesecake here, but we had to eat all of it lol) and now I'll go back there in Relationships' Day (which is like Valentine's in Brazil, but June the 12th).