Random Postings

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
I'm curious what you expect me to say.
Hopefully something germane to the discussion and devoid of the snark and bile you usually substitute for actual content.  You could start by answering some of the direct questions put to you.

Porter ODoran said:
Are you actually expressing hatred for me?
Hatred?  Not at all.  Like Iconodule and Rohzek, however, I've just learned the hard way of your penchant for making enemies of potential allies and stirring up controversy for its own sake.  In fact, Rohzek put it best.  His words are just as applicable here as they were in the thread in which he made them:

Rohzek said:
[Y]our refusal to acknowledge this elementary fact is not based upon any actual contrary opinions of your own. It's part of a long trend that you have had on these forums in which you must demonstrate your absolutely incomprehensible pride to always take a contrarian position on every thread in these forums and to make almost everything an argument.
Porter ODoran said:
Still, you could do with some abandon of reason yourself. I mean, in a fun way, not in this obsessive way. Since this is the Random Postings thread after all.
You were quite happy to carry on a serious discussion in this thread until it became apparent that you didn't know what you were talking about and had spent what little ammunition you had apart from your personal opinions on what constitutes manliness and piety, and how hirsute we'll all be in the World to Come.  And speaking of "obsessive", it seems as if you're running around these boards obsessively picking needless fights over trivial matters related to your personal hang-ups lately.  What's up with that?
Okay. Well, then, that's a relief.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
I'm curious what you expect me to say.
Hopefully something germane to the discussion and devoid of the snark and bile you usually substitute for actual content.  You could start by answering some of the direct questions put to you.

Porter ODoran said:
Are you actually expressing hatred for me?
Hatred?  Not at all.  Like Iconodule and Rohzek, however, I've just learned the hard way of your penchant for making enemies of potential allies and stirring up controversy for its own sake.  In fact, Rohzek put it best.  His words are just as applicable here as they were in the thread in which he made them:

Rohzek said:
[Y]our refusal to acknowledge this elementary fact is not based upon any actual contrary opinions of your own. It's part of a long trend that you have had on these forums in which you must demonstrate your absolutely incomprehensible pride to always take a contrarian position on every thread in these forums and to make almost everything an argument.
Porter ODoran said:
Still, you could do with some abandon of reason yourself. I mean, in a fun way, not in this obsessive way. Since this is the Random Postings thread after all.
You were quite happy to carry on a serious discussion in this thread until it became apparent that you didn't know what you were talking about and had spent what little ammunition you had apart from your personal opinions on what constitutes manliness and piety, and how hirsute we'll all be in the World to Come.  And speaking of "obsessive", it seems as if you're running around these boards obsessively picking needless fights over trivial matters related to your personal hang-ups lately.  What's up with that?
Okay. Well, then, that's a relief.
Yeah, you can breathe easy, buddy.  No one actually hates you.  We just realize that you're working through some stuff by playing at being a petulant crank on the internet and picking needless fights with random dudes you don't know over nothing because, you know, we're here.  Don't worry beard bro.  It'll get better.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Besides, there's a silver lining.  Your shameless hypocrisy prompted Rohzek to craft the greatest avatar these boards have ever seen.

*A not-too-distant second being Mor's fabled St. Bea Arthur avatar.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I've shaved most of my life. Not that you care, and not to interrupt your self-congratulations, but here's a recent photo.

Of course, here I look like my aunt, but this is one of the small prices we pay for living in a civilization.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
What ungodly industry are you currently employed in, that you're required to shave your beard? It's a travesty!

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I've shaved most of my life. Not that you care, and not to interrupt your self-congratulations, but here's a recent photo.

Of course, here I look like my aunt, but this is one of the small prices we pay for living in a civilization.
Et ne inducas nos in temptationem sed libera nos a malo. - Matthew 6:13

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:

You should most definitely grow your beard back.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:

You look like a mixture of Ed Helms and Stephen Colbert

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
You should most definitely grow your beard back.
As if. I did a google search, the fellow he misrepresented himself as is a multi-millionaire, and a Capitalist.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter the pic doesn't load for me

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
There's a hockey player with that (first) name that is apparently from there ???

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
There's a hockey player with that (first) name that is apparently from there ???
I like hockey. I always think it looks like a mistake when somebody scores though. I also like ice skating a little bit, so it helps I think.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I've shaved most of my life.
That explains the recent cattiness.  All of those years of emasculation and impiety were bound to manifest themselves eventually.

Porter ODoran said:
Not that you care, and not to interrupt your self-congratulations
Awww, don't be like that.  Keep this emo stuff up and we'll have to open a line of credit for you at Hot Topic.

Porter ODoran said:
but here's a recent photo.

All I'm seeing is the X, buddy.  Must've run out of bandwidth or something.  Emo Ed Helms and Stephen Colbert mixed with some guy's aunt though?  Really?

Porter ODoran said:
Last time I checked, I live in the same civilization and I have a beard.  What gives?

No hard feelings though, Port.  No matter how "civilization" makes you emasculate your face, just remember, they can't shave your heart.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I can't believe that one really lame joke started all this. I love you.  :-*

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
In America anyway it's usually called a mantilla. And altho her parents were reportedly Communists, the First Lady is a Slovene, which makes her ancestrally Roman Catholic.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
In America anyway it's usually called a mantilla. And altho her parents were reportedly Communists, the First Lady is a Slovene, which makes her ancestrally Roman Catholic.

and clearly your ancestry was devoid of forms of humor, or humour if you prefer it that way....

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Porter ODoran said:

and clearly your ancestry was devoid of forms of humor, or humour if you prefer it that way....
That's fair. Germans have no sense of humor, and if my father's any indication, the Irish sense of humor is about on the level of a drunk special-needs child.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
*obligatory covfefe meme*
I like to think that the "v" is silent and it's pronounced co-fef-fay. Sidekick of Pepe the frog perhaps? Of course only Mr. Trump and a small group of people know for sure!

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The "vf" pronunciation is certainly a tricky one. I've been practicing all day in case I'm called to replace Sean Spicer.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Germans have no sense of humor
You haven't spent much time around actual Germans (as opposed to Americans with some German ancestry and a head full of stereotypes) have you?  In my experience, actual Germans -from Germany - are hilarious (though they favor bathroom humor a bit much for my tastes).

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
The "vf" pronunciation is certainly a tricky one. I've been practicing all day in case I'm called to replace Sean Spicer.

cov-fefe

not cov like cove....but cov like corn on the cov.....

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
You haven't spent much time around actual Germans (as opposed to Americans with some German ancestry and a head full of stereotypes) have you?  In my experience, actual Germans -from Germany - are hilarious (though they favor bathroom humor a bit much for my tastes).
I agree. I have a German heritage and grew up in Low German -speaking communities. Yes, the more-obvious humor is scatalogical (among the Amish this is never translated into English, tho) -- but there's just a chance you may be missing the less-obvious humor, as it tends to be subtle.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
I agree. I have a German heritage and grew up in Low German -speaking communities. Yes, the more-obvious humor is scatalogical (among the Amish this is never translated into English, tho) -- but there's just a chance you may be missing the less-obvious humor, as it tends to be subtle.
The Germans I'm familiar with are from the Rheinland-Pfalz, so they're also speaking a dialect Northerners would term "Low German".  In fact, it's very close to the German spoken by the Amish because I think many of you guys immigrated from that part of Germany.  Once, when I was young, I was at a pool in PA with some of my Pfalzisch friends, and some Amish or Mennonite people (not sure which) were talking, and my Pfalzich friends said "They talk like us!"  Even down to their peculiar name for a pig (definitely not Schwein, but if you speak the dialect, you know the term I mean!).  But yeah, I think I get most of the more subtle humor, but they still make a lot of poop jokes!  ;D

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Porter ODoran said:
The Germans I'm familiar with are from the Rheinland-Pfalz, so they're also speaking a dialect Northerners would term "Low German".  In fact, it's very close to the German spoken by the Amish because I think many of you guys immigrated from that part of Germany.  Once, when I was young, I was at a pool in PA with some of my Pfalzisch friends, and some Amish or Mennonite people (not sure which) were talking, and my Pfalzich friends said "They talk like us!"  Even down to their peculiar name for a pig (definitely not Schwein, but if you speak the dialect, you know the term I mean!).  But yeah, I think I get most of the more subtle humor, but they still make a lot of poop jokes!  ;D
All I can say is you certainly don't get my humor. But you're not missing out on much.

Amish are from all over Germany and Switzerland -- they migrated in waves throughout the 1800s, altho some came in earlier centuries too -- but the bulk passed thru the Palatinate where they spent a few generations improving the farmland there after war had ravaged it (they were banned to there by the authorities, is the story). Some also passed thru other countries on their way here. If you know some of the Old Believers' stories, you get the general idea. But, yes, it's thought that their dialect "gelled" in the Palatinate and has remained rooted in that idiom ever since. Not to say it hasn't changed internally in its own way and at this point it even shares grammar rules with English (and plenty of vocabulary) ...

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens when you win the lottery?  It's more than just increased taxes:

https://youtu.be/E-G1uXNeFLs

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
What happens when you win the lottery?  It's more than just increased taxes:

https://youtu.be/E-G1uXNeFLs
I've heard stories of people saying that winning the lottery was one of the worst things that happened to them, but hearing details (esp. murder) was pretty depressing.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
All I can say is you certainly don't get my humor.
Not getting and not finding funny are two different things.

Porter ODoran said:
But you're not missing out on much.
Agreed.

Porter ODoran said:
Amish are from all over Germany and Switzerland -- they migrated in waves throughout the 1800s, altho some came in earlier centuries too -- but the bulk passed thru the Palatinate where they spent a few generations improving the farmland there after war had ravaged it (they were banned to there by the authorities, is the story). Some also passed thru other countries on their way here. If you know some of the Old Believers' stories, you get the general idea. But, yes, it's thought that their dialect "gelled" in the Palatinate and has remained rooted in that idiom ever since. Not to say it hasn't changed internally in its own way and at this point it even shares grammar rules with English (and plenty of vocabulary) ...
Interesting.  Thanks.  Pfalzich German with English grammar rules sounds fascinating.  Maybe one day I'll delve more deeply into this.