Random Postings

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Joined
May 2, 2015
Messages
2,181
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Location
free breakfast
minasoliman said:
What happens when you win the lottery?  It's more than just increased taxes:

https://youtu.be/E-G1uXNeFLs
I actually was scared, the one time the powerball was at 900 Million. What if you were the only winner? How would you keep it a secret? All of this has informed my current Powerball playings.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,963
Reaction score
214
Points
63
Age
159
Location
The South
Antonious Nikolas said:
Besides, there's a silver lining.  Your shameless hypocrisy prompted Rohzek to craft the greatest avatar these boards have ever seen.
I learned that God likes boobs and does not want to see them restrained.
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
hecma925 said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Besides, there's a silver lining.  Your shameless hypocrisy prompted Rohzek to craft the greatest avatar these boards have ever seen.
I learned that God likes boobs and does not want to see them restrained.
Especially when they're posting about the unmanliness of shaving on oc.net!

 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Porter ODoran said:
... the Irish sense of humor...
It's a lot like Irish Catholicism.

Stand silently staring straight ahead, grimly clutching a rosary and forgetting 100 years have passed since the failure of the Socialist revolution.
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
RaphaCam said:
They didn't remove the body from the last suicide in my campus yet (it's a tall public building) and we're still having class. This time it was a student with her backpack on. Lord, have mercy! This city is inhuman.
Wow.  Lord have mercy on this poor girl.  Are you saying people jump from this tall building with some regularity?
 

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Joined
Sep 19, 2010
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
RaphaCam said:
They didn't remove the body from the last suicide in my campus yet (it's a tall public building) and we're still having class. This time it was a student with her backpack on. Lord, have mercy! This city is inhuman.
Dude, you seem like a genuine person, is there any path to you getting out of there?
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Antonious Nikolas said:
Wow.  Lord have mercy on this poor girl.  Are you saying people jump from this tall building with some regularity?
Yeah, it was more usual before (to the point that "I study in UERJ" would alwaysbe answered as "just don't kill yourself", jokingly or not), now they put safety nets and locked windows everywhere, but there are still blind spots.

NicholasMyra said:
Dude, you seem like a genuine person, is there any path to you getting out of there?
I have Portuguese citizenship and know foreign languages, so I want to leave, but I don't have short- or middle-term plans, and I don't exactly what I'd work with, since it's hard to get a job abroad with a national law certificate.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,240
Reaction score
108
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
NicholasMyra said:
RaphaCam said:
They didn't remove the body from the last suicide in my campus yet (it's a tall public building) and we're still having class. This time it was a student with her backpack on. Lord, have mercy! This city is inhuman.
Dude, you seem like a genuine person, is there any path to you getting out of there?
"Just say no" to the Benedict Option!
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,027
Reaction score
12
Points
38
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
RaphaCam said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Wow.  Lord have mercy on this poor girl.  Are you saying people jump from this tall building with some regularity?
Yeah, it was more usual before (to the point that "I study in UERJ" would alwaysbe answered as "just don't kill yourself", jokingly or not), now they put safety nets and locked windows everywhere, but there are still blind spots.
= Rio de Janeiro State University

Why is this college so high in suicides that they have a joke about it?

Suicidal Tendencies na UERJ | UERJ - Universidade Do Estado Do Rio De Janeiro
Finalmente um show no lugar com o maior número de fãs no Brasil!
https://da.eventbu.com/rio-de-janeiro/suicidal-tendencies-na-uerj/2467197

the site of the main campus is still a public health concern, as it is a preferred site for suicides. Due to ease of public access, lack of vigilance and tall buildings with wide windows and interconnected by free ramps, many suicides choose the facilities to jump off. Nevertheless, the dean offices treat the subject as taboo and do not publish statistics of such cases, allegedly to avoid further attempts.
* 2nd Brazilian Congress of Suicide Studies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_de_Janeiro_State_University


Launched in late March, the book Why Do Police Kill Themselves?, by the Rio de Janeiro State University’s (UERJ) Suicide and Prevention Study and Research Group (Gepesp) in partnership with the Rio Military Police, notes that in 2009 Rio de Janeiro Military Police officers were 6.6 times more likely to commit suicide than the state population on average.
...
Conducted through a partnership between five psychologists from the Military Police and UERJ researchers from different areas, the study states that 10% of 224 Military Police officers interviewed for the study attempted suicide, and 22% thought about doing so.
http://www.rioonwatch.org/?p=29086

Grupo de Estudo e Pesquisa em Suicídio e Prevenção - Gepesp
R. São Francisco Xavier, 524 - Maracanã
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, RJ 20550-900
College & University in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
https://www.facebook.com/gepesplav/?fref=ts

2º Congresso de Suicidologia

de 28/6 a 30/6 · Belo Horizonte, MG

http://www.overmundo.com.br/agenda/2-congresso-de-suicidologia
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
What would we do without Rakovsky? Not only is he able to tease from Google information about Brazil, a country which none of us OC.netters have any access to or experience with, but he's able in the same nimble sweep of internet research to inform us of the darker private lives of military policemen.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
rakovsky said:
RaphaCam said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Wow.  Lord have mercy on this poor girl.  Are you saying people jump from this tall building with some regularity?
Yeah, it was more usual before (to the point that "I study in UERJ" would alwaysbe answered as "just don't kill yourself", jokingly or not), now they put safety nets and locked windows everywhere, but there are still blind spots.
= Rio de Janeiro State University

Why is this college so high in suicides that they have a joke about it?
Probably because it's a tall public building, but they're occasionally students themselves committing suicide. Also, I personally think it's cursed (non-ironically), this place has a very weird story before it became the University.
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
rakovsky said:
RaphaCam said:
this place has a very weird story before it became the University.
Feel free to share.
Rumouredly ancient tribal site, then mental asylum, then vertical slum with a lot of fires and gang feuds (Favela do Esqueleto), then the inhabitants were forcefully removed by a death squad (Scuderie Le Cocq), then they built the university.
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
DeniseDenise said:
You actually spent a considerable deal of time there as a missionary, right?

RaphaCam said:
rakovsky said:
RaphaCam said:
this place has a very weird story before it became the University.
Feel free to share.
Rumouredly ancient tribal site, then mental asylum, then vertical slum with a lot of fires and gang feuds (Favela do Esqueleto), then the inhabitants were forcefully removed by a death squad (Scuderie Le Cocq), then they built the university.
Wow.  God have mercy.  You'll be in my prayers, as will the students of the university and the nation in general.  :)
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
My mother works at the university, I just came to her office and at some point one of her co-workers asked the other jokingly: "dude, where's my salary?", to which he answered: "I don't know, did you find mine?", and everybody laughed. At least we never lose our sense of humour...  ;D


My family is fine though, thank God we were prepared for this kind of thing and my father works in a private job.  :angel:
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Now there's a gay reaction on Facebook. The original intention was to raise "awareness", but in my surroundings it seems it backfired as people are gay-reacting each other's serious status and profile pics, thereby associating LGBTQ to practical jokes.
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
RaphaCam said:
Now there's a gay reaction on Facebook. The original intention was to raise "awareness", but in my surroundings it seems it backfired as people are gay-reacting each other's serious status and profile pics, thereby associating LGBTQ to practical jokes.
How could anyone ever have predicted that would happen?
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,621
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
Now there's a gay reaction on Facebook. The original intention was to raise "awareness", but in my surroundings it seems it backfired as people are gay-reacting each other's serious status and profile pics, thereby associating LGBTQ to practical jokes.
How could anyone ever have predicted that would happen?
[voice=12yro]hah! predictions are so gay![/voice]
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,963
Reaction score
214
Points
63
Age
159
Location
The South
What Speedo color should I wear to protect me from the gays when I visit Brazil?
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,297
Reaction score
62
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Adam West, who played Batman on a popular TV show in the U.S., has died at 88. He battled leukemia.

Lord have mercy. Rest in peace.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,963
Reaction score
214
Points
63
Age
159
Location
The South
Asteriktos said:
I dunno, it doesn't really matter to me what they/we use either way, but considering that most people don't know what A.D. means anyway, I don't see much point in getting worked up over it.  :angel:
That's why I spell out "Before Christ" and "Anno Domini (Year of Our Lord)".  It gets the point across.
 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Joined
May 8, 2014
Messages
12,135
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Eugene, OR
Speaking of Poles and food, did I ever tell the story of the Polish waitress in Westchester? This was fifteen years ago when I'd just moved to New York. As a single man who was suddenly making a decent salary, I began to eat out pretty often, and one of the diners on the way home from work had a fascinating young woman working there. We seemed to feel some rapport, altho, as she is one of those that gets paid to be personable, I restrained myself from thinking much of it. Then after not having dined there in some time, I returned, was sat at the bar, and -- to my happy surprise -- this waitress began talking to me, telling me about Poland, being genuinely friendly, and this continued for some time. I was grateful enough to send her flowers. Now comes the real story -- The next time I had supper there, after the flowers, I decided to mention that I'd taken a liking to her long ago. She said, "I started working here only X weeks ago; that wasn't me; that was my twin sister. You see how I have X trait she doesn't have. She fled an abusive relationship back to Poland early this year. She's not coming back and she gave me her job."
 
Top