• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I listen to Orthodox music, Irish drinking songs, and sea shanties. It's a weird mix, but I dig it.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Curiously, I didn't see public health any list, good or bad

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Alpo said:
Because I'd rather go to a library or to the shore than let my hair grow long again and spend my night among drug-fueled multitudes with noisy apparel that makes the best band sound like cover bands on AM stereo.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
If you lived by the Ocean it would be nice

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I listen to Orthodox music, Irish drinking songs, and sea shanties. It's a weird mix, but I dig it.
Are you my alternate self?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Curiously, I didn't see public health any list, good or bad
It's really a pity how the health professions have fallen in this country (altho I understand doctors and nurses here still have it much better than in, say, Eastern Europe). The cause is nothing less than abuse by business and political leadership. God bless you for taking on the work regardless.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
Are you my alternate self?
I am your northern and infinitely more attractive clone.
No wonder Mor loves you.
Yup!

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
minasoliman said:
Mor Ephrem said:
http://www3.forbes.com/leadership/the-10-best-and-worst-masters-degrees-for-jobs-right-now/13/

;)
Make theology great again!
At least I'm not an architect, that ranked even lower!
As someone who works in one of the lower (higher?) ranked worst jobs, I have no ideas where they get their starting pay base. It's much worse.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Even if you don't have a wife, if you have children, you're still going to have to deal with women.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
"Hood Adjacent" song, by James Davis...hilarious!

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Establish, O God, the Holy Orthodox Faith and Orthodox Christians, unto the ages of ages.
When there was an Emperor or King, would his name have been inserted after "the Holy Orthodox Faith", or instead of it?  Thanks!

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
ilyazhito said:
Establish, O God, the Holy Orthodox Faith and Orthodox Christians, unto the ages of ages.
When there was an Emperor or King, would his name have been inserted after "the Holy Orthodox Faith", or instead of it?  Thanks!
We still commemorate our governments in democracies.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Fun trivial fact:

So, I was curious to find out where the word "Jersey" comes from.  Why are we "New" Jersey?  Where's "Old" Jersey, the original "Jersey"?

So I did some digging and thanks to Wiki, it lead me to the channel island of Jersey:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey

They speak English and French, but interestingly, there was the native language of Jèrriais:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerriais
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXTcSM7NMw

Which sounds and spells very similar to French.  So there you go!  This state, which has now become the rear end of many jokes in the US was named after this small forgotten island of Jersey that has a culture and language of its own.

So if you speak "Jersey", it ain't "cawfee", it's Bounjour-esque

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
You mean it's not named after the popular sports apparel item?
Furthermore!!!!!!!

It's been thought the word "Jersey" is a variant of "Caesarea"...technically, we are in "Neocaesarea".

So...Basils and Gregories for our bishops in the future hopefully  8)

PS  Perhaps the sports apparel item is named after the shield that Caesar used to wear
PSS I'm BS'ing at this point

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Y'all are cracking me up.  :laugh:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Ah the late night hecma-fest begins. Shine on you crazy diamond.
You have no idea how many times I Alt + Left after writing something.  It is my podvig.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
On what time Romanian services usually are? I'm at Bamberg, Germany at the moment and Romanians seem to be
the only ones who have a stable parish around here and I'd like to go to church tomorrow.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Alpo said:
On what time Romanian services usually are? I'm at Bamberg, Germany at the moment and Romanians seem to be
the only ones who have a stable parish around here and I'd like to go to church tomorrow.
You can go at 9 am, and if you are early, you could arrive at Matins, so its still ok. Better early than late.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
Alpo said:
You can go at 9 am, and if you are early, you could arrive at Matins, so its still ok. Better early than late.
Better late than never.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I've drank so many beers and ate so much pub food during my vacation in Bavaria that I probably get back home a few kilos heavier.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:
I've drank so many beers and ate so much pub food during my vacation in Bavaria that I probably get back home a few kilos heavier.
You lucky guy.
This place is a paradise. I get suberb eats in every pub despite the fact that I'm a Vegetarian. And not to even mention the suberb drinks.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:
You lucky guy.
This place is a paradise. I get suberb eats in every pub despite the fact that I'm a Vegetarian. And not to even mention the suberb drinks.
Eating vegetarian in Bavaria? Anathema maranatha!

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I got two of my highest grades on the entire course so far on the very subjects I feared failing.  :eek:  Maybe uncertainty of the outcome made me dedicate myself for real.
I find that happens to me; it's when I'm "confident" that I end up making mistakes.  Pride goes before a fall...  ;)  Congrats, too, by the way.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Picture of me during my 3 week 'vacation' from the forum: