Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Alpo said:
nothing said:
Agabus said:
nothing said:
Alpo said:
My holiday of four weeks is over and I have to get back to work tomorrow. Unfortunately for some reason my flu also got worse. Wish it was as bad that I could take a sick leave.
Curse you Europeans and generous time off!
Yeah, what is it with them and their unwillingness to work themselves into the grave?
I wish Americans could have the same attitude. :(
Give your unions more power and vote Communists to your parliament and you probably have similar laws in no time. That's how we got ours.
We were a huge part of international labor movement. Got stamped out by Woodrow Wilson who used WWI as an excuse to exercise extraordinary powers.
Makes one pine for the mine wars.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Every labor movement in the world faced stiff repression at some point or other... I think it's harder to explain why the American one collapsed so precipitously.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Every labor movement in the world faced stiff repression at some point or other... I think it's harder to explain why the American one collapsed so precipitously.
They put down their guns.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Iconodule said:
Get the guys who have guns vote against their own interests  ;)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
Agabus said:
Iconodule said:
Harlan County forgot which side are they on to the tune of 84 percent last election.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Microsoft signals end of Paint program*

Paint has been part of the Windows operating system since its release in 1985 and is known for its simplicity and basic artistic results. Paint's successor, Paint 3D, will still be available. The list was issued as part of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which rolls out in the autumn.

Microsoft says that features on the list will be either removed from Windows 10 or "not in active development and might be removed in future releases". Other features facing the axe include the Outlook Express email client, which is replaced with the built-in Mail app, and the Reader app, which will be integrated into Microsoft Edge...

* This BBC article includes a subheader "RIP Paint" and I just want to make clear that I do not mean to offend anyone by linking to an article which uses this terminology, nor do I endorse the many "RIP" tweets the article mentions

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
nothing said:
Agabus said:
Iconodule said:
Harlan County forgot which side are they on to the tune of 84 percent last election.
Underrated comment.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I witnessed a miracle today! Glory to God!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
You got a discount on something that wasn't discounted?

Glory to God  8)  :angel:

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Other than Hiywot and that Kaleab kid, I wonder if we've ever had any actual Ethiopian posters on these boards.  I know AmdeTsion was African-American and (Stay blessed!) HabteSelassie was a white dude.  So is Gebre, of course.  Have we had any people who were actually of Ethiopian descent other than the two I mentioned above?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
Other than Hiywot and that Kaleab kid, I wonder if we've ever had any actual Ethiopian posters on these boards.  I know AmdeTsion was African-American and (Stay blessed!) HabteSelassie was a white dude.  So is Gebre, of course.  Have we had any people who were actually of Ethiopian descent other than the two I mentioned above?
I feel like I have a fuzzy memory of an Eritrean here at one point.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
I feel like I have a fuzzy memory of an Eritrean here at one point.
Yeah, he came around for about two days to troll the boards with doctored pictures of Haile Selassie watering marijuana plants to counter Gebre's (or someone's) call for His Majesty's glorification.  He was handed his backside fairly quickly and beat a hasty retreat.  I think Balthasar is a black British convert or something.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Ok, there's a triple threat wrestling match this morning: Indocern vs. JamesR vs. beebert

Who you got? I'm gonna say beebert wins because he's an ironman, and indocern and JamesR are gonna knock each other out, either that or outside interference from someone costs those two their chance at the victory

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Ok, there's a triple threat wrestling match this morning: Indocern vs. JamesR vs. beebert

Who you got? I'm gonna say beebert wins because he's an ironman, and indocern and JamesR are gonna knock each other out, either that or outside interference from someone costs those two their chance at the victory
beebert ko's JamesR with a hard slap in the first five minutes and then proceeds to manhandle Indocern until the latter blows some sort of poison powder into beebert's eyes while the ref isn't looking and starts to abuse him in the worst way.  A crying Miss Elizabeth then flees into the locker room and leads Asteriktos out to the squared circle where, to the thunderous adulation of the crowd, he proceeds to dismantle Indocern who flees in a panic.  Asteriktos then helps beebert to his feet, and they become a new tag team sensation, gearing up to challenge Mor and Mina for the tag team title.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
What would one do if say you forget your card at a restaurant then you return after an hour only to find out they accidentally gave the card away to some other person. Other than canceling the card obviously. 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
What would one do if say you forget your card at a restaurant then you return after an hour only to find out they accidentally gave the card away to some other person. Other than canceling the card obviously.
Make sure nobody has made any charges on the card after you left it at the restaurant, if they did you can file fraud claims with your bank. You wont be responsible for any fraudulent charges.

But yes you should close the card and report it as lost to your bank. They will issue a new one with a new number. Ask them to expedite the card to you as well and you should get it in 2 days rather than a week later.

There's nothing else you can do.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I joined a local organic food cooperative a while ago. The organic part is bit of humbug but it feels nice to know first time in my life where does my food come from. Now  if someone just cooked me some moonshine I would have everything I need for life.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I was really shocked that no one asked me for the credit card password in the US, I guess Americans don't deal with stolen cards as often.
You mean the 4 digit PIN number? You have one of those chip cards? Chip card readers haven't been adopted everywhere yet, but I'm surprised they let you swipe instead of using the chip slot, if you do have a chip card.

And yeah stolen cards is pretty common. I just had to get a new card issued as someone made a counterfeit card with my old card number and tried to use it at a Walmart. My bank declined it and I got a call from the fraud department to verify purchases.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I was really shocked that no one asked me for the credit card password in the US, I guess Americans don't deal with stolen cards as often.
The staff is supposed to compare your signature with the signature on the back of the card. Credit card and identity theft are huge, huge problems here. If we don't demand stricter security, it's just that we Americans are used to taking whatever abuse is handed to us by our betters.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
The staff is supposed to compare your signature with the signature on the back of the card. Credit card and identity theft are huge, huge problems here. If we don't demand stricter security, it's just that we Americans are used to taking whatever abuse is handed to us by our betters.
Not they aren't and they can't ask for ID either.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
What are you talking about? Cashiers do both those things all the time. Just not lazy cashiers. But, seriously, what's your problem?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Mine does have a chip, and I did sign once, but there's no signature on my credit card anyway. Funny thing, Americans (or at least people in NYC) seem to adhere to so many formalities to ensure everything's OK.
If I recall, you are only asked for a signature depending on the amount and merchant. The local gyro place near me always asks for my signature even if I spent 6 bucks there. Other larger chains, there's no fussing with a signature.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Despite regular use, I've only been asked for ID once in the last few years... it was at a Salvation Army (seriously)  :laugh:

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
nothing said:
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
What are you talking about? Cashiers do both those things all the time. Just not lazy cashiers. But, seriously, what's your problem?
They aren't supposed to, it's against card regulations. Even merchants who don't accept cards under a certain dollar amount can't do that either. They have to accept cards regardless of the amount.

No problem, just correcting some misconceptions as I have experience in the payment card industry.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
Porter ODoran said:
nothing said:
Porter ODoran said:
RaphaCam said:
They aren't supposed to, it's against card regulations. Even merchants who don't accept cards under a certain dollar amount can't do that either. They have to accept cards regardless of the amount.

No problem, just correcting some misconceptions as I have experience in the payment card industry.
You're either completely misunderstanding, or completely wrong. Making sure a card being used to pay is not stolen is a very important merchant responsibility. Cashiers check the back for the signature routinely. They're trained to lay the card down signature up rather than just hand it back.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LOL if you think a cashier is going to do a serious signature examination. You can put whatever scribble on the back of your card, it doesnt matter. No merchant is going to know if the physical card is stolen unless the card terminal presents a message saying a "pickup card" or something. That means the issuing bank already put a block on the card preventing authroizations to occur. The introduction of chip cards in America is actually to shift fraud liability back to issuing banks if the merchant is compliant in how they process chip transactions.

Most places these days you dont even present a card to a cashier, but swipe or insert a card at the terminal in front of you.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
^ That's what I said before.

What he is saying is that merchants are not permitted to conduct card security measures. ::)

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
But he's talking about chip card or debit PIN. Nothing to do with a signature.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
You're either completely misunderstanding, or completely wrong. Making sure a card being used to pay is not stolen is a very important merchant responsibility. Cashiers check the back for the signature routinely. They're trained to lay the card down signature up rather than just hand it back.
Cashiers rarely touch my (unsigned) card(s)--maybe 2% of the time.  No one has ever IDed me in order to pay for anything with plastic.  Maybe it's a southern thing.  ???

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
Porter ODoran said:
Cashiers rarely touch my (unsigned) card(s)--maybe 2% of the time.  No one has ever IDed me in order to pay for anything with plastic.  Maybe it's a southern thing.  ???
Try shopping more at Brooks Brothers.