• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Random Postings

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
871
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
augustin717 said:
Hmm, you'd think that not many cannibals go to confession.
Many people practice nail biting.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Chicago
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
augustin717 said:
Hmm, you'd think that not many cannibals go to confession.
I imagine there aren't many cannibalizes period...if we wanted I guess we could ask chow many cannibals per capita that go to confession vs adulterers, murderers, etc who go to confession if you wanted a better rubric.

Still though, listing things like that is probably a necessary formality.  Almost all forms of codified laws and guidelines are going to have things like that.  And now in case a guy was ever wondering if you screwed up royally in the eyes of the Church and is in bad need of confession for eating some dude, now he knows.


 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
7,110
Reaction score
191
Points
63
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
It's from a popular FB page called "Gânduri din Ierusalim" ('Thoughts from Jerusalem') , subtitled a "A Society and culture page" . They recently featured an article written by a Russian archimandrite with an introduction of their own , with the title :"if in a family the husband drinks or beats his wife, this is a sign that the wife's heart lacks wisdom and true love [for the husband]".
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
871
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
augustin717 said:
Hmm, you'd think that not many cannibals go to confession.
Many people practice nail biting.
yeah but they mention human meat.
I know. And I also know that sometimes nail biting is connected with beating and swalloping the skin around the nails. Actually, it's not funny, as it's a kind of disorder, bad reaction to stress etc.
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Chicago
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
augustin717 said:
It's from a popular FB page called "Gânduri din Ierusalim" ('Thoughts from Jerusalem') , subtitled a "A Society and culture page" . They recently featured an article written by a Russian archimandrite with an introduction of their own , with the title :"if in a family the husband drinks or beats his wife, this is a sign that the wife's heart lacks wisdom and true love [for the husband]".
Well at least they got the cannibal thing right!  From the sound of it the people they are dealing with that may be not as obscure a sin as we think.  I guess you can't win them all.

Also:

I heard in America that there was a major news anchor who is supposedly Muslim that went cannibal on his show to show "religious diversity" or some such thing, so there is that.
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
7,110
Reaction score
191
Points
63
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
William T said:
augustin717 said:
It's from a popular FB page called "Gânduri din Ierusalim" ('Thoughts from Jerusalem') , subtitled a "A Society and culture page" . They recently featured an article written by a Russian archimandrite with an introduction of their own , with the title :"if in a family the husband drinks or beats his wife, this is a sign that the wife's heart lacks wisdom and true love [for the husband]".
Well at least they got the cannibal thing right!  From the sound of it the people they are dealing with that may be not as obscure a sin as we think.  I guess you can't win them all.

Also:

I heard in America that there was a major news anchor who is supposedly Muslim that went cannibal on his show to show "religious diversity" or some such thing, so there is that.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/707255001/ these people didn't have a spiritual father as far as we know
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Asteriktos said:
Opus118 said:
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians*. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

*April 2, 2013 PPP poll
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_National_ConspiracyTheories_040213.pdf
A company named Bethesda has been working on this problem for some time. Here's an image of what one of the Reptilians may have looked like shortly after it was captured in 2011:



And here is an artistic recreation of some of the monks they have been working with:



Progress has been slow, however.
If I eat an Argonian, is it cannibalism? Does Abba Hezekiah have any pastoral wisdom on this topic?
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
augustin717 said:
It's from a popular FB page called "Gânduri din Ierusalim" ('Thoughts from Jerusalem') , subtitled a "A Society and culture page" . They recently featured an article written by a Russian archimandrite with an introduction of their own , with the title :"if in a family the husband drinks or beats his wife, this is a sign that the wife's heart lacks wisdom and true love [for the husband]".
tyf's ideal society is upon us!
 

William T

Archon
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Chicago
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
augustin717 said:
William T said:
augustin717 said:
It's from a popular FB page called "Gânduri din Ierusalim" ('Thoughts from Jerusalem') , subtitled a "A Society and culture page" . They recently featured an article written by a Russian archimandrite with an introduction of their own , with the title :"if in a family the husband drinks or beats his wife, this is a sign that the wife's heart lacks wisdom and true love [for the husband]".
Well at least they got the cannibal thing right!  From the sound of it the people they are dealing with that may be not as obscure a sin as we think.  I guess you can't win them all.

Also:

I heard in America that there was a major news anchor who is supposedly Muslim that went cannibal on his show to show "religious diversity" or some such thing, so there is that.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/707255001/ these people didn't have a spiritual father as far as we know
Wow, I missed that.  I just looked it up on the internet and read a few more articles.  Anyway, those people are lacking in almost any good thing that we may know of.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,373
Reaction score
861
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Volnutt said:
If I eat an Argonian, is it cannibalism? Does Abba Hezekiah have any pastoral wisdom on this topic?
Only thing that comes to mind are certain statements he once made to Abba Alastair, which were later twisted and plagiarized by Nietzsche: "He who fights with demons should look to it that he does not join the demons." "If you gaze long into Abyssinia, then Abyssinia will begin to gaze into you." "That which you do not kill will make you stronger." Perhaps the last one is the most directly relevant, but it seems to me that they all have something to teach us about such thoughts and actions.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:
If I eat an Argonian, is it cannibalism? Does Abba Hezekiah have any pastoral wisdom on this topic?
Only thing that comes to mind are certain statements he once made to Abba Alastair, which were later twisted and plagiarized by Nietzsche: "He who fights with demons should look to it that he does not join the demons." "If you gaze long into Abyssinia, then Abyssinia will begin to gaze into you." "That which you do not kill will make you stronger." Perhaps the last one is the most directly relevant, but it seems to me that they all have something to teach us about such thoughts and actions.
And now, I go away enlightened.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Speaking of mashups: Gorillaz and The Killers- Somebody Told Me to Feel Good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGWntRUf0Y
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Half the threads on the front page are thread's begun by me, most recently replied to by me, with the word "My" beginning the title. I'm sure a narcissist :(
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,566
Reaction score
1,622
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Nah.  I guess some nights are quieter than others.  :) 
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Location
NJ
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
augustin717 said:
So an updated version of the Romanian guide for confession contains this:
"I have eaten ( made others eat) abomination ( 'spurcăciune') , that is a live animal , human meat, satanic sacrifices, uncleanliness."
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
augustin717 said:
Hmm, you'd think that not many cannibals go to confession.
Many people practice nail biting.
yeah but they mention human meat.
Anyway to get Dracula to repent!  :p
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Ainnir said:
Nah.  I guess some nights are quieter than others.  :)
Thanks. You're a peach. :)
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Asteriktos said:
Ever stare at a .gif so long you begin to "hear" the voice of the actor speaking?
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Ainnir and Antonis are the same person? ???
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
871
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.


The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
 

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
8,566
Reaction score
1,622
Points
113
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Volnutt said:
Ainnir and Antonis are the same person? ???
I think we're completing the Trinity of which Antonis is the Father.  I haven't had enough coffee for this, y'all.    :police: ;D
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Location
NJ
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Dominika said:
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.


The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
lol!

When I was in college, two blocks away there was a building with a dome that people kept thinking would be a mosque.  Then I met a Greek Orthodox priest of blessed memory in Glen Cove, NY who affirmed that's where his new parish would be.  At that time, I could hardly hold my excitement.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
871
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
From this month, there will be daily Liturgies at my parish :eek:
(until now, there were 2 on Sundays, plus 1 on Wednesdays, 12 great feasts plus some minor feasts).

Our new rector (from March this year), that's also my priest, is going ahead. Firstly, he introduced Akathists on Wednesday evenings and Saturday Divine Liturgies (earlier they were celebrated only on Great Lent and the great feasts).
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,392
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,373
Reaction score
861
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Where did the term 'cakewalk' come from?
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,392
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cakewalk
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
40,373
Reaction score
861
Points
113
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
How faithless of me not to check wiki first!
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Dominika said:
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.


The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
Wow, that IS something to celebrate!
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Age
36
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I didn't know the SOAD/Crocodile Rock mashup was originally a Neil Cicierega track lol.

Imagine All Star People- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7TmmyZnHI
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,392
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Asteriktos said:
How faithless of me not to check wiki first!
In a protestant sect I was in, a Cakewalk was held in the fall; it was a silent auction style bake sale.  The best bakers would make big cakes and participants would walk around (in my case the fellowship hall) to view the cakes set up on the tables...one would write in a bid for the cake they wanted.  Money was to raise funds for children's Sunday school supplies.
 

Gorazd

Archon
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
2,571
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Dominika said:
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.


The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
I suppose when the crosses will be on the church building, people will notice it is not a mosque.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
871
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.


The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
I suppose when the crosses will be on the church building, people will notice it is not a mosque.
There is one (there will be one more decorated, but this one is to make clear that's Christian) since August
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
27
Points
38
Age
40
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Dominika said:
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.


The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
I suppose when the crosses will be on the church building, people will notice it is not a mosque.
There is one (there will be one more decorated, but this one is to make clear that's Christian) since August
Maybe it's the concrete but it is a very grim-looking structure. Hopefully they will paint the concrete some brighter colors? As of now it looks like a tank built by Daleks.
 
Top