• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
You guys look like a couple of jabronis on meatfare Sunday.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Is Leontius and Leonidas the same name?  Like James and Jacob?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
I've been to Korean saunas and they're great.  Nudity, no gayness.  Even has a cafe where you can get beer.
Paradise on Earth.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
I've been to Korean saunas and they're great.  Nudity, no gayness.  Even has a cafe where you can get beer.
Paradise on Earth.
The best part?  You don't have to talk to anyone.  I know that makes you Finns all hot and bothered.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
minasoliman said:
It seems Leontius is "as a lion", while Leonidas is "son of a lion".
I thought they were different names, but I stumbled upon this from the OCA:

https://oca.org/saints/lives?q=LEONTIUS

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Paradise on Earth.
The best part?  You don't have to talk to anyone.  I know that makes you Finns all hot and bothered.
If I ever move abroad I move to Korea. Preferably South but North will do too if they have saunas where I can go to drink beer and be quiet.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
mcarmichael said:
minasoliman said:
Jacob and James are different names. Where did you get that they're the same names?
I can bet all the alcohol you have or seek to have for the rest of your life they're the same name.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
mcarmichael said:
minasoliman said:
Jacob and James are different names. Where did you get that they're the same names?
I can bet all the alcohol you have or seek to have for the rest of your life they're the same name.
Then mcarmichael will be swimming in the stuff. The names are NOT the same. They only share the root Leo-. Your assertion is like saying John is the same name as Jonathan. They are not.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
LBK said:
minasoliman said:
mcarmichael said:
minasoliman said:
Then mcarmichael will be swimming in the stuff. The names are NOT the same. They only share the root Leo-. Your assertion is like saying John is the same name as Jonathan. They are not.
LBK, he is saying Jacob and James are different names.  I'm not talking about Leontius and Leonides anymore.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Portuguese diverges even more by having Tiago and Jacó as doublets of the same name. The incursion of Italian names makes some like Pietro, Pedro or Joana and Giovanna, or worse, Henrique and Enzo. Some crazy parents even mix both (I've met Petro and Jovana).

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Portuguese diverges even more by having Tiago and Jacó as doublets of the same name. The incursion of Italian names makes some like Pietro, Pedro or Joana and Giovanna, or worse, Henrique and Enzo. Some crazy parents even mix both (I've met Petro and Jovana).

Really...you don't want to start the 'wacky brazilian first names' talk do you now? 

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
DeniseDenise said:
Really...you don't want to start the 'wacky brazilian first names' talk do you now?
Those are only first level wacky, there are many deeper layers, as you know. I'm not a great example myself, as my surname means "big shirt", but that's not my parents' fault, rather some XVI century guy who decided to be called that way.  :p

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
DeniseDenise said:
Those are only first level wacky, there are many deeper layers, as you know. I'm not a great example myself, as my surname means "big shirt", but that's not my parents' fault, rather some XVI century guy who decided to be called that way.  :p

indeed....I was once acquainted with a guy with the first name of Lindenberg....which is at least still a name...but it sounds very funny in most Brazilian accents...so now I always have this odd mental way of hearing the REAL name.....

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
minasoliman said:
LBK said:
minasoliman said:
mcarmichael said:
minasoliman said:
LBK, he is saying Jacob and James are different names.  I'm not talking about Leontius and Leonides anymore.
+1

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
mcarmichael said:
minasoliman said:
How strange. I never would have put the two together, but there is an article from The Economist (https://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/09/name_equivalents) that backs your claim.

All that being said, though, I don't know any Jacob's who go by James, or vice-versa. It isn't like Bob and Robert, where they can be used interchangeably.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I wonder if in heaven St. John Chrysostom ever regrets his choice of words. "Why do they keep interpreting what I said like that? That's not at all what I meant! You'd think after all this time they'd catch on..."

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I wonder if in heaven St. John Chrysostom ever regrets his choice of words. "Why do they keep interpreting what I said like that? That's not at all what I meant! You'd think after all this time they'd catch on..."
I'm sure we'll all eat some of our words, someday.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Paradise on Earth.
If I ever move abroad I move to Korea. Preferably South but North will do too if they have saunas where I can go to drink beer and be quiet.
They do, but you have to be part of the in-crowd, living in Pyongyang.  You are the wrong ethnicity.  Besides, don't all Finns have a sauna at their house and good beer?

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Thanks Asteriktos for the Modern Church Fathers quotes, they resonate far greater to me than the classics...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Speaking of memorizing Scripture, when I was in Awanas we were supposed to memorize a Bible verse, and I memorized the first half but not the second, and whoever I had to recite it in front of gave me partial credit for knowing half of it, but then his supervisor overruled him and said there was no partial credit when it came to Scripture, that you either knew the entire verse or it didn't count. :laugh:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
RobS said:
Thanks Asteriktos for the Modern Church Fathers quotes, they resonate far greater to me than the classics...
For me it's especially the ones in the middle period, esp. 7th-14th centuries; just too bad there aren't more translations available.

On a unrelated note, I really need to start going back over and editing my posts before I submit them.  8)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
On a unrelated note, I really need to start going back over and editing my posts before I submit them.  8)
"an unrelated"

I give up on languaging this week.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I put this into Google translate (English to Greek): "Your poop stinks, brother. How about a courtesy flush?"
Then reversed it (Greek back to English) and this is what it gave me: "Your foot boils, brother. How about a risky one?"

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Of his treatises... The "Praise for Baldness" is a curious example of the rhetorical style in vogue in his day, and certainly laid him open to the adverse criticisms of those who objected to his blending jest with earnest, and wasting the powers of his mind on trivial subjects. Regarded as a jeu d'esprit, it is ingenious and amusing. It may be thought a difficult matter to bring forward at least seventeen arguments--scientific, metaphysical, historical--to prove that it is better to be bald than to have a good head of hair, but Synthesius, who seems to have lost his own hair early, had been reading Dion Chrysostom's "Praise of Hair," and was determined to make the most of the opposite cause against his favorite orator.

-- Alice Gardner, Synesius of Cyrene: Philosopher and Bishop
"Learning to read Greek" just got bumped up a few spots on my bucket list.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
A guy named George Papadopoulos was one of the people charged by Robert Mueller and has apparently pleaded guilty, any idea if he's Orthodox?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I dunno, but I'm proud to say CIA whistleblower John Kiriakou is one of us!

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
A guy named George Papadopoulos was one of the people charged by Robert Mueller and has apparently pleaded guilty, any idea if he's Orthodox?
When I saw that name I thought it was the same guy who is an anchor on Good Morning America or something.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I don't know, but Web and Ma'am must be heartbroken.  :'(

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Antonious Nikolas said:
Asteriktos said:
I don't know, but Web and Ma'am must be heartbroken.  :'(

LOL, this was my first thought as well on hearing the name on the news!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My birthday party this year (held on Friday, from 5PM to 5:30 AM): in Eastern Euorpean flat that has 37 square meters (so it means 2 rooms, kitchen, bath and small corridor) there were 23 guests plus me and mum. And neighbours didn't call police (there are 7 other flats on this corridor).

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
My birthday party this year (held on Friday, from 5PM to 5:30 AM): in Eastern Euorpean flat that has 37 square meters (so it means 2 rooms, kitchen, bath and small corridor) there were 23 guests plus me and mum. And neighbours didn't call police (there are 7 other flats on this corridor).
Well, it's always good not to get arrested.

Happy belated birthday!