• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
So today I donated blood with a large group, one of my friends' friend is a Shiite Muslim and the sheikh went with us to donate too, in tunic, turban and cape. It was the first time I ever felt safe downtown Rio, we got some ugly looks, but no one approached and neither did I expect one to lol

Very nice guys, these Shiites. One of them informed me some of the last malês (Muslim Africans who were brought enslaved to Brazil in the early XIX century and their descendants) are still alive, and he did meet some! I was always curious about their (as I supposed) total disappearance, but it seems they're just small, aged and discreet.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Turban is the coolest headgear ever. Period.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be drinking beer

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I hate that ialmisry either mispelled certain words or used different renderings, it makes searching for his old posts impossible. :p

I was trying to find his post about the Gospel according to St. Mark and the way it's structured mirrors Holy Week.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A guy I grew up with is part of a Grammy-winning band currently doing a national tour. It's really strange to me that a kid I jammed with a few times is now playing packed venues in major cities, because I don't think of him primarily as a musician, but as the guy doing backflips in the jumpy house for his cousin's birthday party at his grandpa's house.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Saw a sign at a liquor store this morning "stop in today to renew your Gin membership"

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Liturgy of the Entrance of the Theotokos feast at the unique Orthodox parish in Warsaw that has maintaned fully (I mean not only for Nativity or Epiphany) calendar. 1/3 of the people that came were from my parish... Despite the fact that this parish with full new calendar one is very specific, with all Polish in the services (our standard is Church Slavonic) - if it was in Church Slavonic and a bit more reminding our parish (or any typical Polish Orthodox parish) I'd say today's frequention of our parishioners could be much more higher....

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Liturgy of the Entrance of the Theotokos feast at the unique Orthodox parish in Warsaw that has maintaned fully (I mean not only for Nativity or Epiphany) calendar. 1/3 of the people that came were from my parish... Despite the fact that this parish with full new calendar one is very specific, with all Polish in the services (our standard is Church Slavonic) - if it was in Church Slavonic and a bit more reminding our parish (or any typical Polish Orthodox parish) I'd say today's frequention of our parishioners could be much more higher....
Which parish is this?  Are you saying its a parish only used for special feasts like these, or that it is the only Orthodox parish in Warsaw used throughout the year?  Or that its unique in that its a dedicated Polish language parish?

Either way it sounds like a lovely service, even though it would be hypothetically lovelier in Church Slavonic.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Which parish is this?  Are you saying its a parish only used for special feasts like these, or that it is the only Orthodox parish in Warsaw used throughout the year?  Or that its unique in that its a dedicated Polish language parish?

Either way it sounds like a lovely service, even though it would be hypothetically lovelier in Church Slavonic.
No no no. There are 8 Orthodox parishes in Warsaw (plus metropolitan chapel, however I'm not sure if there are regular services; ), 3 of them having their own separate buluding (well, one is in construction), teh rest is loacetd in th bulduing that have also other functions. Rhere are also 2 parishes beyond Warsaw, but in quite close area. Anyway, 3 years ago the metropolitan forced the calendar change to the old one, he allowed to the metropolitan cathedral, my parish and one of these 2 parishs in area close to Warsaw to have some additional services accoridng to the new calendar. Only one parish in Warsaw, that's the qunie using Polish as the liturgical language, is allowed to keep the new calendar. That's a very specific parish in the Polish Orthodox Church (and even if you compare it with other parishes using Polish as a liturgical language), I got used to it 1 year ago, eraleir I'd been going there reluctantly. Still, many active parishioners from my parish, icnluding me, have problems to acept the current situation. So, still, at new calendar Chrsitmas services the church is packed, while on these oens accoridng to the old calendar not so, plus there come people that appear at our parish 1-2 a year, and they're not Polish.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
I caught my six-year-old daughter randomly singing "Away in a Manger" to The Melody of Kievan stichera Tone VI

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
Whoomp, there what is? ???
What Meatloaf won't do for love.
Different strokes for different folks I guess--after all, isn't it what Will Smith got Jiggy with?
Will Smith got Jiggy with that ineffable cosmic force (personified as a "who" for the sake of our fragile minds) which let the dogs out.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
Different strokes for different folks I guess--after all, isn't it what Will Smith got Jiggy with?
Will Smith got Jiggy with that ineffable cosmic force (personified as a "who" for the sake of our fragile minds) which let the dogs out.
So that's what the "bad boys" did when they came for them... it all begins to make sense now!

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
So that's what the "bad boys" did when they came for them... it all begins to make sense now!
It's also the "something else" that I need to get me through this semi-charmed kind of life.

Baby, babeeeee.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
It's also the "something else" that I need to get me through this semi-charmed kind of life.

Baby, babeeeee.
That song is stuck in my head now

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:

Baby, babeeeee.
Sounds like you need a new drug.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
So today I donated blood with a large group, one of my friends' friend is a Shiite Muslim and the sheikh went with us to donate too, in tunic, turban and cape. It was the first time I ever felt safe downtown Rio, we got some ugly looks, but no one approached and neither did I expect one to lol

Very nice guys, these Shiites. One of them informed me some of the last malês (Muslim Africans who were brought enslaved to Brazil in the early XIX century and their descendants) are still alive, and he did meet some! I was always curious about their (as I supposed) total disappearance, but it seems they're just small, aged and discreet.
Wow. How old are they?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
Volnutt said:

Baby, babeeeee.
Sounds like you need a new drug.
I used to fall asleep to MTV or ESPN every night as a teenager in the 90s, whereby certain things entered deep into my soul while the gates of my heart were left unguarded. And after a time these wicked things took root, until they ripened into the fruit of abomination. I also have Keith Olbermann permanently stuck in my head. When I joined the Orthodox Church I had hoped that these foul demons would be exorcised, but so far God has so willed that they remain thorns in my side.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Have you not heard the saying of Abba Hezekiah when he was falsely accused by the other monks who were jealous of his closeness to the Patriarch of Alexandria? "Brothers, if that's moving up, then I'm moving out!" And at that point he was miraculously translated back to the Thebiad.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hey Rapha, what's up with Brazilian women? Why so uptight?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
No, the stereotype is that Brazilian women are whores. Get it right.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
It was unusual for me to meet a Brazilian chick who wasn't very kind and sweet. She gave everyone at our Thanksgiving dinner a bad attitude. And when I told her about part of my family's background she thought I was lower than dirt. It's not my fault the Brazilian side of my family deal drugs and money launder.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
RobS said:
It was unusual for me to meet a Brazilian chick who wasn't very kind and sweet. She gave everyone at our Thanksgiving dinner a bad attitude. And when I told her about part of my family's background she thought I was lower than dirt. It's not my fault the Brazilian side of my family deal drugs and money launder.
If RaphaCam's accounts are to be believed, your Brazilian family members are probably just normal Brazilians.  Are you sure this Brazilian woman wasn't a schemanun or something? 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I believe my priest quipped she was a "retired roman catholic nun" after leaving the party, cause I asked him what she was doing in the States (just visiting a friend).