Random Postings

Psalti Boy

High Elder
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D  LMAO!  Wow was that funny...about my room.  I actually changed things around over the summer...now its totally different.  I think there were entire ecosystems pent up underneath my bed or something... ;)

I'm also the 1400'th poster on this thread!  YAY!!! 
LMAO ???

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
do I even want to know who Margoth is?  If its a movie or comic or anything "pop-culture" related then I have NO idea. 
It's Super Tolkien Geek to the Rescue!!!!  ;)

Morgoth is from the works of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, scholar and author of "The Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings",  "The Silmarillion", "Smith of Wooton Major", "Farmer Giles of Ham", "Beowulf, the Monster and the Critics" and more.  Professor Tolkien also contributed to the Jerusalem Bible translation, particularly the Book of Jonah. 

Morgoth is basically like a fallen archangel in the cosmology of Tolkien's "Middle Earth". He is part of the "Silmarillion" and the first part of that book the "Ainulindale" or "Music of the Ainur" tells of his jealousy and desire for power.

Eru Illuvatar is God in that universe. He creates the Ainur, beings like angels who come together as part of the music that God has devised to create the heavens and the earth.  There are 2 ranks, as it were, of the Ainur: the Valar are the greater and the Maiar are lesser in scope or power who help them. Morgoth was once one of the most powerful of the Valar (there is a parallel with Lucifer here). Morgoth's name was first "Melkor" but after his doing much evil he was given the epithet of "Morgoth" or the Dark Enemy by the Eldar or Elves who had suffered greatly from his temptations and malice.

After much destruction and evil, Melkor is finally taken prisoner by the other Valar and removed from the circles of the world. Unfortunately, he had maia who helped or wanted the same control of other beings and power. One of them went on to be called Sauron the Dark Lord who did such deeds as cause the drowning of Numenor, the forging of the Rings of Power, and much evil in Middle Earth which is told in "The Lord of the Rings".

Be warned, I could go on on matters Tolkien for quite some time.  ;D

Here's the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgoth

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
chris said:
WHAAAAAT? You don't know who Morgoth is??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I shall have to report this situation to Ebor right away!
"Gondor has called for aid!"

"And Rohan shall answer!"

;)

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
And just to add one bit more:

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/tgenesis.pdf

"1 .  I yessesse Eru ontane Menel ar Cemen.......  3. Ar Eru eque "Ea Cale!" Ar enge Cale.

:)

Ebor

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ebor said:
"Gondor has called for aid!"

"And Rohan shall answer!"
Great reference, but...

How come I have to be the representation of the morally decrepit Denethor, Steward of Gondor (where 'Steward' means 'whack job looney tune who's in league with Sauron'?)  ;)

Why can't I be anyone better like, I dunno, Bill the Pony or something...

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, you're not slow; you're just not as coarse as me and my seminary friend Serbski here! ;>)

Psalti Boy

High Elder
Reaction score
chris said:
you're just not as coarse as me
Maybe not here . . . maybe not as coarse as I used to be . . . but I still have a little left in reserve . . . just in case I need it.    ;D ;D

Donna Rose

High Elder
Reaction score
Oh yay I'm so happy this thread has takin a Middle Earthian turn... :)

chris said:
Great reference, but...

How come I have to be the representation of the morally decrepit Denethor, Steward of Gondor (where 'Steward' means 'whack job looney tune who's in league with Sauron'?)  ;)

OK, ok, but if you get to be Bill the Pony, I wanna be....Shadowfax! :)

D

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
chris said:
Great reference, but...

How come I have to be the representation of the morally decrepit Denethor, Steward of Gondor (where 'Steward' means 'whack job looney tune who's in league with Sauron'?)  ;)
No, no, that's not your representation at all!  Recall that Denethor was not the one who got the beacons going.  That was due to the urging of an angelic messenger, as it were, in the person of Gandalf/Olorin the Maia.  ;)

:D  If you like, though there are lots of other good characters, how about one of the Rangers of Ithilien? Or Elladan or Elrohir? 

Ebor

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Ebor,

Thanks for the explanation!  Actually it was REALLY intresting.  Can you give me more info? 
Certainly!  What would you like to know or discuss?  I'm afraid that I can go on for a very long time about such things... with references too!! 

Reading the "Ainulindale" makes it very clear that there is only one God. The Valar while mighty are lesser beings who serve Him while caring for various parts of creation, much like angels.

I should probobly just read the books huh...again...too lazy!  haha. 
Well, there's a starting point.  Which of the books have you read?  The cosmology comes from the "Silmarillion" as well as some other volumes of notes that the Professor's son, Christopher edited (the History of Middle Earth" series that starts with "The Book of Lost Tales" in two volumes) and "Unfinished Tales" and a book of letters and more.

This conversation is amazing...definately wanna keep this one going!   ;D

Good idea!  Maybe we can "Tolkien" it up over 100 pages.  ;D

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Donna Rose said:
Oh yay I'm so happy this thread has takin a Middle Earthian turn... :)

OK, ok, but if you get to be Bill the Pony, I wanna be....Shadowfax! :)

D

But, but  Shadowfax is the "King" of the Mearas.  ;)

Ebor

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Morgoth is basically like a fallen archangel in the cosmology of Tolkien's "Middle Earth".
Can you go into the cosmology more?  That was really interesting.  I was kind of disapointed when you stopped... ;D

I've only read the "popular" books by Tolkien.  The Felowship of the Ring...those 3 books.  That's it.  And "The Hobit" but that sucked, and it was a long time ago when I read it. 

Hey did you ever read anything from David Eddings? 

p.s.  I was always a fan of elves...if you got more info on how they fit into the whole Tolkien picture, I would appreciate that! 

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ebor said:
:D  If you like, though there are lots of other good characters, how about one of the Rangers of Ithilien? Or Elladan or Elrohir? 
Well, I have to rule out any Elf names, since I'm strictly heterosexual...(joking; that's an inside joke among some friends here)

Well, how about Radagast the Brown? He seems to have been a solitary sort that was easily manipulated by those in power over him. Plus, Radagast can be conjectured to have a meaning in both Old English as well as Slavic, which is strangely appropriate for my current role.