Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pass me one bro. Drinking alone is unhealthy.

Edit: Sorry I just replied to a post from 2005
It was posts like the one you were replying to that made me say "Some parts have aged better than others." That was a long night (getting the forum over 100,000 posts, IIRC).

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Is being a photographer a real job anymore? I mean, the camera does everything.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"flabby one" in English is translated to "χαρούμενος" in Google Greek

If you ask Google what "χαρούμενος" means in English it says "cheerful"

Reaction score
Is being a photographer a real job anymore? I mean, the camera does everything.
You seen those cameras which take extremely high quality high frame frequency videos? So the perfectly timed shot can just be plucked out of a series of 500 shots which occurred during a 2 second period. And they're indistinguishable from normal shots. Incredible tech.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
You seen those cameras which take extremely high quality high frame frequency videos? So the perfectly timed shot can just be plucked out of a series of 500 shots which occurred during a 2 second period. And they're indistinguishable from normal shots. Incredible tech.
Yes, it is amazing. Makes the person rather unnecessary once we get our robot o erlords to carry the cameras around.

Alpo2

Reaction score
Not particularly related to anything but why is that today every (desktop) website seems to have only one fairly narrow column of various things and huge blank spaces on both sides? This forum software included. It's particularly noticeable when reading newspapers online where background is usually white and there's lots of completely useless white space.

sestir

Elder
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Not particularly related to anything but why is that today every (desktop) website seems to have only one fairly narrow column of various things and huge blank spaces on both sides?
On my laptop, Xenforo scales to the width of the browser window, except if the window is very wide. Could you be zoomed out or have a screen width of much more than 1500 pixles?

Otherwise, I think the observation is right as the push for making everything XHTML/CSS be of relative width, reached its equilibrium around 2015.

Alpo2

Reaction score
Could you be zoomed out or have a screen width of much more than 1500 pixles?
100% zoom/1920x1080.

Not that this would particularly bother me. I guess I'm just more accustomed to mobile internet and been using deskop more lately.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Test...

Life is like a box of chocolates

If you knife me, do I not bleed?

God sent Pittsburgh the Pirates to keep us humble

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
how very impolite of me! my most genuinest apologies good sir!

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I did turn off OCnet and turned it back on. I hope there wasn't a gateway error for everyone

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to get around Serbia (not just Belgrade) if you only knew English?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How difficult would it be to get around Serbia (not just Belgrade) if you only knew English?
In my opinion at least young Serbs know English quite well, especially due to subtitles for almost every film ;) The info tables are not only in Cyryliic, but also in Latin.

Alpo2

Reaction score
I've got no experience of Serbia but my visits to Armenia and Georgia went fine despite practically no one there speaking English. Google is usually decent enough for getting around and translating various menu items and that's pretty much everything one needs to survive. Some situations might be awkward without common language but you won't be the only tourist around.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
In my opinion at least young Serbs know English quite well, especially due to subtitles for almost every film ;) The info tables are not only in Cyryliic, but also in Latin.
I've got no experience of Serbia but my visits to Armenia and Georgia went fine despite practically no one there speaking English. Google is usually decent enough for getting around and translating various menu items and that's pretty much everything one needs to survive. Some situations might be awkward without common language but you won't be the only tourist around.
Thanks!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I think the funniest thing about my twitter experiences so far is that the conservative magazine The American Spectator started 'following' me at some point. I used to hear this magazine advertised on the Rush Limbaugh show in the 90s, and now they follow little old me? 😎 Of course I realise how this works. They follow 19.3 THOUSAND people on Twitter. They never even see my posts--whoever it is they pay to manage their account. I still find it amusing.