Random Postings

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pass me one bro. Drinking alone is unhealthy.

Edit: Sorry I just replied to a post from 2005
It was posts like the one you were replying to that made me say "Some parts have aged better than others." That was a long night (getting the forum over 100,000 posts, IIRC).

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Is being a photographer a real job anymore? I mean, the camera does everything.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
"flabby one" in English is translated to "χαρούμενος" in Google Greek

If you ask Google what "χαρούμενος" means in English it says "cheerful"

Reaction score
Is being a photographer a real job anymore? I mean, the camera does everything.
You seen those cameras which take extremely high quality high frame frequency videos? So the perfectly timed shot can just be plucked out of a series of 500 shots which occurred during a 2 second period. And they're indistinguishable from normal shots. Incredible tech.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
You seen those cameras which take extremely high quality high frame frequency videos? So the perfectly timed shot can just be plucked out of a series of 500 shots which occurred during a 2 second period. And they're indistinguishable from normal shots. Incredible tech.
Yes, it is amazing. Makes the person rather unnecessary once we get our robot o erlords to carry the cameras around.

Alpo2

Reaction score
Not particularly related to anything but why is that today every (desktop) website seems to have only one fairly narrow column of various things and huge blank spaces on both sides? This forum software included. It's particularly noticeable when reading newspapers online where background is usually white and there's lots of completely useless white space.

sestir

Elder
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Not particularly related to anything but why is that today every (desktop) website seems to have only one fairly narrow column of various things and huge blank spaces on both sides?
On my laptop, Xenforo scales to the width of the browser window, except if the window is very wide. Could you be zoomed out or have a screen width of much more than 1500 pixles?

Otherwise, I think the observation is right as the push for making everything XHTML/CSS be of relative width, reached its equilibrium around 2015.

Alpo2

Reaction score
Could you be zoomed out or have a screen width of much more than 1500 pixles?
100% zoom/1920x1080.

Not that this would particularly bother me. I guess I'm just more accustomed to mobile internet and been using deskop more lately.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Test...

Life is like a box of chocolates

If you knife me, do I not bleed?

God sent Pittsburgh the Pirates to keep us humble

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
how very impolite of me! my most genuinest apologies good sir!

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I did turn off OCnet and turned it back on. I hope there wasn't a gateway error for everyone

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to get around Serbia (not just Belgrade) if you only knew English?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How difficult would it be to get around Serbia (not just Belgrade) if you only knew English?
In my opinion at least young Serbs know English quite well, especially due to subtitles for almost every film ;) The info tables are not only in Cyryliic, but also in Latin.

Alpo2

Reaction score
I've got no experience of Serbia but my visits to Armenia and Georgia went fine despite practically no one there speaking English. Google is usually decent enough for getting around and translating various menu items and that's pretty much everything one needs to survive. Some situations might be awkward without common language but you won't be the only tourist around.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
In my opinion at least young Serbs know English quite well, especially due to subtitles for almost every film ;) The info tables are not only in Cyryliic, but also in Latin.
I've got no experience of Serbia but my visits to Armenia and Georgia went fine despite practically no one there speaking English. Google is usually decent enough for getting around and translating various menu items and that's pretty much everything one needs to survive. Some situations might be awkward without common language but you won't be the only tourist around.
Thanks!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I think the funniest thing about my twitter experiences so far is that the conservative magazine The American Spectator started 'following' me at some point. I used to hear this magazine advertised on the Rush Limbaugh show in the 90s, and now they follow little old me? 😎 Of course I realise how this works. They follow 19.3 THOUSAND people on Twitter. They never even see my posts--whoever it is they pay to manage their account. I still find it amusing.

Alpo2

Reaction score
So I've spent something like six hours at work losing my faith in myself and humanity i.e. solving a problem which is apparently caused by software that doesn't distinguish between small and capital characters. Sometimes I still wonder how I ended up from studying Islamic law schools and Hindu terminology to doing, well, this.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Told a cashier "have a nice day" before she said it to me, and you could just tell by the tone of her response that she was happy and a little surprised to have a positive interaction, which is pretty sad 😕

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
I was going to make this into a thread, but it looks like the answer is clear enough that it's more worth a random post:

What was Jesus wearing during the crucifixion, if anything?
John 19 says:
...they crucified Him, and two others with Him, one on either side, and Jesus in the center. ...
Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments and made four parts, to each soldier a part, and also the tunic. Now the tunic was without seam, woven from the top in one piece. ...
Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!”
In order of the narrative, it sounds like the soldiers removed the robe and loincloth first.

Ryan Shaffer writes:
"Also, while the historical documents pertaining to Roman crucifixion point to the usual case of the crucified's total nakedness, there was an allowance for concession given to local customs that would override this policy. The Mishnah (the first part of the Talmud) notes that opinions were divided as to leaving the stoned and hung totally naked or preserving a minimal sense of modesty, so it is possible that the loincloth remained on Jesus during His crucifixion."
The IVP commentary says:
Normally the victim would be led naked to the place of crucifixion. The fact that Jesus' clothes were not taken from him until the point of crucifixion may suggest that he was allowed to retain some form of covering while on the cross itself (Brown 1994:2:953), perhaps out of deference to Jewish objections to nudity. Since, however, the normal undergarment was either a tunic or a loincloth, and Jesus' tunic was taken from him (v. 23; Brown 1970:902), it is perhaps more likely he was naked. Early Christian tradition is divided on the subject (cf. Brown 1994:2:953).
Richard Hollerman writes:
Edwards, Gabel, and Hosmer have written: “He [the crucified person] was usually naked, unless this was prohibited by local customs.” (“On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ,” Journal of the American Medical Association. Vol. 255. No. 11. 21 March 1986. 1459.). Although Roman crucifixion involved total nakedness, some (perhaps the minority) scholars suggest that in consideration for the Jews, Roman executioners would allow a loin cloth.
The Mishnah indicates that opinions among Jewish authorities were divided as to whether or not people should be stoned and “hung” naked (which often went together), or with just enough of a covering to provide a minimal amount of modesty (Sanhedrin, 6.4, 5). (puritanboard.com/f44/ were-those-crucified-1st -cent-naked-69863/).
Broadus points out that “the person of one stripped when about to be stoned should not be left wholly exposed; and though the Roman custom for crucifixion was otherwise, we may perhaps suppose that Jewish feeling was in this case regarded” (Commentary on Matthew, comment on Matthew 27:35).
Randy Ingermanson writes:
(In any event, when Romans crucified a man, they stripped him completely naked, so the loincloths in the paintings are not accurate. Crucifixions were all about total humiliation.)
There is also the question of whether the robe was scarlet or purple. Matthew says Scarlet, John and Mark say Purple.

The Levant, especially Phoenicia, was famous for its scarlet/purple dye, and the name Phoenician actually has this as its meaning.

Tyrian Purple refers to Tyre, and as you can see, it's kind of a mix of crimson and purple. It is a bit more red than I think of purple When I think of purple, I think of Indigo/Violet in that display.

Alpo2

Reaction score
So apparently the new forum software supports both drag and drop and resizing of images without writing unnecessarily complicated tags.
This is so normal and modern that it must be some kind of syncretistic heresy. It can't be this easy.

It's a TARP! - Admiral Ackbar USCjr | Meme Generator

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Every time you drag and drop a picture, your vagante potential increases by 6 points. Do the right thing! Hold fast to the Faith of our fathers and use the traditional tags. In this way, you may struggle well for the salvation of the world.

Alpo2

Reaction score
Every time you resize an image without extra hassle, some church somewhere switches to new calendar.