• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Random Postings

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
For all who are celebrating, Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!! ☺

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
I rarely exhibit any patriotic sentiments. But seeing something like this on a local newspaper makes ne proud to be a Finn.

Edit: For some context, I guess every country has a neighbour they like to make fun of. In case of Finland (and most of Scandinavia) the neighbor is Sweden. The article was about Finnish immigrant in Sweden whining about that he's expected to chitchat and smile to people around him. And that just won't do. The most Finnish thing I've read for a while.

Attachments

Last edited:

hurrrah

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
My good friend, the former editor-in-chief of a military magazine, writes that there will be a war. Real, not just hybrid. And not a small, not a regional conflict. A big hot physical war. And rockets will fly to us and from us, and many will die both with us and with them. The tangle of interstate contradictions has become too much entangled. Therefore, it is better to die from enemy missiles at home than from your native Russian missiles, sitting at your "spare airfield", in foreign real estate or at a resort.
It will be ugly, not honorable and very insulting.
2021/11/21
:)

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Why iPhone software is so bad? What I've done wrong to deserve this? Why does Tim Apple hate me? Just why?

1638453785259.gif

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I rarely exhibit any patriotic sentiments. But seeing something like this on a local newspaper makes ne proud to be a Finn.

Edit: For some context, I guess every country has a neighbour they like to make fun of. In case of Finland (and most of Scandinavia) the neighbor is Sweden. The article was about Finnish immigrant in Sweden whining about that he's expected to chitchat and smile to people around him. And that just won't do. The most Finnish thing I've read for a while.
Really interesting. Brazilians are pretty much on the other side of the spectrum, to the point of ticklishness. If we're describing any nationality that isn't ourselves we'll eventually mention they're either rude or cold. I had a eureka moment when I realised we're the weird ones.

I think this has to do with our historical class dynamics, but that's another topic.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
If we're describing any nationality that isn't ourselves we'll eventually mention they're either rude or cold. I had a eureka moment when I realised we're the weird ones.
You are. I once met a Bolivian guy who joked that Argentinians communicate mostly through insults. The idea brought me great joy.

Jokes aside, Finns are mostly fairly polite. It's just that we have stronger sense of personal space than some other folks might have and people around here might have less need to fill silence with talk so we tend to keep to ourselves. I guess it's kind of North/Eastern European thing but I guess Finns might take it to extreme. Think of Kaurismäki's movies if you've happened to seen them.

Last edited:

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
You are. I once met a Bolivian guy who joked that Argentinians communicate mostly through insults. The idea brought me great joy.
Yeah, people from Rio also do, but that's between close friends, plus tone and context cancel out any potential rudeness. Our un-Finnishness is more about friendliness than about politeness.

Perhaps our stronger Portuguese heritage makes us more like them. Portuguese people are big on swearing. Even old ladies, it's hillarious.

Last edited:

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
My eureka moment was when I realized that these kinds of differences are not about which culture is better or different than this or that culture but rather which kinds of customs feel awkward or cumbersome to different people. Mostly everything's quite understandable in it's context and practical consequences' are the same. It's just that different people use different means for the same result.

mcarmichael

#realmorephrem
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Unaffiliated yet
Christmas gifts, shopping for Mom, using the handy naughty and nice list. It's gift cards and gift baskets only.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Today it's been 10 years from my chrismation in the Orthodox Church and... Joining oc.net ;) (despite I had been reading it much earlier).

And for this occassion, my tribute: video 'As many have been baptised into Christ' feauturing 32 chants in almost 30 languages, various traditions.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
The older I get the more I realize how my taste and opinions are determined by my education, nationality and social class rather than my own personal choices. Feels strange to think how such random choices like which school to go or which field to choose affects personality.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Today it's been 10 years from my chrismation in the Orthodox Church and... Joining oc.net ;) (despite I had been reading it much earlier).

And for this occassion, my tribute: video 'As many have been baptised into Christ' feauturing 32 chants in almost 30 languages, various traditions.

Many years!!

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
You know you've been in your pajamas too much when even your dogs think actual clothes means you're going somewhere... 🤦‍♀️

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
The older I get the more I realize how my taste and opinions are determined by my education, nationality and social class rather than my own personal choices. Feels strange to think how such random choices like which school to go or which field to choose affects personality.
The individual is a lie.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
"And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children." (Matt. 14:19)

'Beside women and children.' This means, allegorically, that a Christian man, woman, or child, must not in any way be childish, womanly, or unmanly.

-- St. Theophylact of Ohrid, Commentary on Matthew
Come to my sermon next week to learn this one weird trick that women and children in your local area are using to not be women or children in any way! 👨

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Come to my sermon next week to learn this one weird trick that women and children in your local area are using to not be women or children in any way! 👨
I recall reading something about how the ideal Orthodox Christian man would have a lot of typically feminine characteristics and vice-versa, and that marriage helped with that.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
As I contemplate how to build bunk beds... ☺