• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Ravi Zacharias: Rest In Peace

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/may/ravi-zacharias-death-cancer-rzim-apologist.html 

Prayers for the repose of Ravi Zacharias. He was a brilliant man and a deeply skilled Christian apologist. However, he was a flawed and fallible man like all of us. It saddened me that as much as he knew about Church history, he never embraced the apostolic Orthodox Faith. Perhaps his own brand had simply grown too big and he didn’t want to jeopardize it. Or perhaps he truly believed that his own interpretation of the Faith was more trustworthy than the Teachings and Traditions of the apostles (or that his own interpretation of the Faith was in fact the same as that of the apostles.) Only God knows.

Ravi Zacharias came under heavy fire late in his life when it was discovered that he had embellished his academic credentials and that he had become ensnared in a “sexting” scandal. I pass no judgment on the man for these things. We have all stretched the truth at times; and when it comes to weaknesses of the flesh, I certainly have no right to cast stones.

What is undeniable is that Ravi Zacharias was a masterful defender of the Christian worldview. He travelled the globe and held audiences with highly influential people from all walks of life. Many people came to faith in Christ through Ravi Zacharias’s apologetics. And whenever he debated others, he was always very polite and very respectful. A true gentleman.

As brilliant as he was, he was nevertheless wrong at times. For example, his criticism and critique of pacifism was extremely weak and very shallow. That was disappointing.

I had the opportunity to hear him speak here in Mississippi many years ago. I am grateful for that experience. May God grant peace to his soul and comfort to his family.

Here is a short video of Ravi Zacharias at his best, answering the question of why there is evil in the world if God exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAm8iK8VhV0&feature=emb_logo

Selam, +GMK+

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Ravi Zacharias came under heavy fire late in his life when it was discovered that he had embellished his academic credentials and that he had become ensnared in a “sexting” scandal.
That's sad.  I missed all of that.  :(

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ainnir said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Ravi Zacharias came under heavy fire late in his life when it was discovered that he had embellished his academic credentials and that he had become ensnared in a “sexting” scandal.
That's sad.  I missed all of that.  :(
Yes, but I prefer to focus on the good he did. If I was famous and in the spotlight, I tremble at the things that might be revealed about me.

Selam