• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Reading the Gospel from the Center of the Church

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The last few weeks the Gospels readings on Sunday have taken place from the middle of the church when the deacon comes out to read. He normally does this from the steps in front of the iconostasis facing the people, but now he is facing the altar from the middle of the church. Is this a difference in rubrics because of the liturgy of St. Basil the Great?

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
The last few weeks the Gospels readings on Sunday have taken place from the middle of the church when the deacon comes out to read. He normally does this from the steps in front of the iconostasis facing the people, but now he is facing the altar from the middle of the church. Is this a difference in rubrics because of the liturgy of St. Basil the Great?
I usually only see the priest face the people when reading the Gospel, and deacons always face the altar in my experience. During the Divine Liturgy I've only ever seen the Gospel proclaimed before the royal doors. At Matins of a Vigil sometimes you will see the priest proclaim the Gospel from the middle of the church and sometimes from within the altar depending on the service.

It's always made me feel somewhat uncomfortable when I see Epistle/Apostol readers turning their backs on the altar which I see occasionally in some jurisdictions.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I've seen Deacons read the Gospel from the Deacon doors usually on the south side, but never in the middle of the Church.  The only times that I have seen a Gospel read in the middle of the church in the midst of the congregation was during a Lutheran service.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
scamandrius said:
I've seen Deacons read the Gospel from the Deacon doors usually on the south side, but never in the middle of the Church.  The only times that I have seen a Gospel read in the middle of the church in the midst of the congregation was during a Lutheran service.
It's fairly common in at least some Slavic traditions.  Priests will read from the ambo facing the people, but deacons will either stand in the middle of the church and face the altar while they read or, alternatively, stand on the ambo but face the altar.

Reading the Gospel from a pulpit or the bishop's throne outside the altar on either side of the church seems to be a Greek thing.  I've never seen deacons reading the Gospel from either of the deacon doors.  That's just weird.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Our deacon reads the Gospel from the middle of the church facing the altar.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
scamandrius said:
It's fairly common in at least some Slavic traditions.  Priests will read from the ambo facing the people, but deacons will either stand in the middle of the church and face the altar while they read or, alternatively, stand on the ambo but face the altar.

Reading the Gospel from a pulpit or the bishop's throne outside the altar on either side of the church seems to be a Greek thing.  I've never seen deacons reading the Gospel from either of the deacon doors.  That's just weird.
I admit I've only seen it once and it was during a hierarchichal liturgy. I don't know if that makes a difference.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
Our deacon reads the Gospel from the middle of the church facing the altar.

That's ok...I am a 'Lutheran' now too.

:laugh:

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
In my experience, the deacon will read the Epistle from the middle of the church, facing the Altar.

I've never heard a deacon read the Gospel from the ambo facing the people.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
I usually only see the priest face the people when reading the Gospel, and deacons always face the altar in my experience. During the Divine Liturgy I've only ever seen the Gospel proclaimed before the royal doors. At Matins of a Vigil sometimes you will see the priest proclaim the Gospel from the middle of the church and sometimes from within the altar depending on the service.

It's always made me feel somewhat uncomfortable when I see Epistle/Apostol readers turning their backs on the altar which I see occasionally in some jurisdictions.
Generally, I will read the epistle or the OT lessons at Vespers either from the chanters' stand or more to the side of the altar so I'm not turning my back on it.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
I've seen Deacons read the Gospel from the Deacon doors usually on the south side, but never in the middle of the Church. The only times that I have seen a Gospel read in the middle of the church in the midst of the congregation was during a Lutheran service.
For us it happens during Matins sometimes, the priest reads facing East(altar), and the deacon if there is one, holds the gospel facing west. Our priest often likes to have young children 3-6 yo stand next to him and hold his Kalimavkion (hat) while he reads. I'll pm you an image.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
scamandrius said:
I've seen Deacons read the Gospel from the Deacon doors usually on the south side, but never in the middle of the Church. The only times that I have seen a Gospel read in the middle of the church in the midst of the congregation was during a Lutheran service.
For us it happens during Matins sometimes, the priest reads facing East(altar), and the deacon if there is one, holds the gospel facing west. Our priest often likes to have young children 3-6 yo stand next to him and hold his Kalimavkion (hat) while he reads. I'll pm you an image.
So, he's reading the Eothinon Gospel in the center at the church?  I know that in the Greek-Arabic Typikon, the Eothinon Gospel is always chanted/read from the south  side of the holy table.  Interesting.

BTW, my message back to you was before I  had read this.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
Bob2 said:
scamandrius said:
So, he's reading the Eothinon Gospel in the center at the church?  I know that in the Greek-Arabic Typikon, the Eothinon Gospel is always chanted/read from the south  side of the holy table.  Interesting.

I'm not real clear when/why it's read from the altar and when/why from the middle of the Nave, I know sometimes its one and sometimes it the other, but since I'm neither priest nor deacon I haven't worried about it too much, I just know my kids have been disappointed when it was read from the altar and I had previously told them they might get a chance to hold his hat.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Bob2 said:
scamandrius said:
Bob2 said:
scamandrius said:

I'm not real clear when/why it's read from the altar and when/why from the middle of the Nave, I know sometimes its one and sometimes it the other, but since I'm neither priest nor deacon I haven't worried about it too much, I just know my kids have been disappointed when it was read from the altar and I had previously told them they might get a chance to hold his hat.
IIRC, the Matins Gospel is read at the altar's west side, facing east, on Sundays, but on feasts, it is read from the nave facing east. 

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Bob2 said:
scamandrius said:
Bob2 said:
scamandrius said:

The Sunday Matins Gospels are all Resurrection accounts so they are ready from the altar which represents the tomb.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Deacon Lance said:
The Sunday Matins Gospels are all Resurrection accounts so they are ready from the altar which represents the tomb.
In vast majority of Polish churches it's read from the nave. The except is the coming Sunday (of the Holy Cross).

Priests reading the Gospel during Liturgy - or facing people, or facing altar. And two ways of doing it I've seen performer by the same priest.