• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Recent growth in ROCOR Western Rite

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
If it doesn't involved someone getting chucked into a volcano I'm going to have a hard time taking Hawaiian WR seriously.

Eamonomae

Julian the Apostate
Reaction score
(InB4 Mor seizes this opportunity to take the first two words of the following sentence and say “Yep”)

I’m ignorant when it comes to Orthodox regulations about the terrain of monastic communities, but isn’t there something special about being able to appreciate God’s Creation and show your Love and Appreciation of God by taking in the beauty of the world?

I mean Mount Athos is beautiful. The Desert is beautiful. Woods are beautiful.

Heck, Ladyminster has a Monastery in Colorado and the terrain is beautiful. And the Carmelite Monks have a Monastery near Yellowstone and that’s beautiful.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I non-ironically believe an illuminated nous would see beauty even if the monastery were in Detroit.
I agree.  The natural beauty of Michigan is astonishing, and even the decayed downtown of Detroit has many beautiful buildings, several of which sadly are in ruins or at risk of demolition (or have been demolished). 

The main problem with urban monasteries is the noise, et cetera; the bustle of city life is not conducive to quiet prayer.  So at a minimum you would need a greenbelt, what Disney imagineers call a “Berm”, to separate the monastery from the surrounding urban environment (Disneyland in California has the smallest berms of any Disney themepark, and Walt Disney World the largest, although ironically, Disneyland has much better show quality than Disney World).

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I've seen a couple of monasteries in agitated parts of cities, but always in hills or at least having large areas that isolate the monks' actual dwellings.
Right, a berm.  You have to have something like the artificial pine-tree covered ridge that hides the outside world from view inside most of Disneyland, even if you can’t put your monastery in the centrr of a vast estate Disney World style.

Speaking of which, I maintain that a monorail would be of extreme practical benefit for Mount Athos and other Orthodox monasteries, but especially on Mount Athos.  Road traffic could be reduced to pedestrians and emergency vehicles only.  Box beam monorails, which can be suspended or stradle-beam, are inexpensive, and in the case of suspended monorails, particularly handy for transporting cargo.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:
Alpha60 said:
Glory be to God that the ROCOR Western Rite was not terminated but instead is once more growing thanks to the loving pastoral care of Metropolitan Hilarion Kapral.  A few years ago, I would have regarded the idea of a new ROCOR monastic community with Franciscan influences in Hawaii as laughable.

Speaking of which by the way, not all of the Hawaiian Islands are an island paradise.  There are some inland areas which are miserable.  Some parts of the Big Island, the former Lepers’ Colony on Molokai, and especially Niihau, the island run as a reservation for Native Hawaiians, owned by the Robinson family, who are eco-warriors who don’t trust the government to preserve Niihau or the Native Hawaiian way of life that has been kept going there, would be pretty rustic and ideal for a monastery.

And there is a small island just south of Maui which became utterly devoid of vegetation following ill-advised attempts at agriculture (the island has exists in extreme dry conditions because the volcanic mountains of Maui block the rains from reaching it; the US Navy then used it as a weapons testing range, and now there is some effort going on to figure out if the desert ecosystem which used to exist on it could be restored).
Never thought I'd see the geography version of #notallmen lol...

Kapa'au is in a really nice part of the Big Island from what I can see.
My neighbors growing up were native Hawiians. My perspective is shaped wholly by their talk about going to see family.
Nice if they could have a Rite of St. Tikhon, in Hawaiian.
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Hawaii/index.htm