• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Religious Affiliation of New Congress Surveyed: 7 Orthodox Christians

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
Religious Affiliation of New Congress Survyed

Pew Research Center yesterday published its survey of the religious affiliation of members of the new 117th Congress. Of the 98 Senate seats and the 433 House seats that were filled as of yesterday, 294 members are Protestant, 158 are Catholic, and 33 are Jewish. Smaller numbers are Mormon (9), Orthodox Christian (7), Muslim (3), Unitarian Universalist (3), Buddhist (2), Hindu (2), Unaffiliated (1).
source: https://www.pewforum.org/2021/01/04/faith-on-the-hill-2021/

anyone here personally know one of the 7 Orthodox Christians?

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That is interesting. I wonder who the Orthodox are?

Menas17

Reaction score
Gus Bilirakis, John Sarbanes, Dina Titus, Darrell Issa, Victoria Spartz, Chris Pappas, Nicole Malliotakis
Of all the above names the only one that appears to be pro-abortion is Titus from Georgia. But Sarbanes is Democrat so I’ll go out on a limb and assume he is for it as well.
Not sure Issa is Orthodox, it says he is Maronite Catholic

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Of all the above names the only one that appears to be pro-abortion is Titus from Georgia. But Sarbanes is Democrat so I’ll go out on a limb and assume he is for it as well.
Not sure Issa is Orthodox, it says he is Maronite Catholic
List I saw said Antiochian Orthodox.

Alpo2

Elder
Reaction score
it said his parents were Maronite and Mormon
I wonder how that did happen. Seems pretty random and I assume both religions would prefer endogamy but maybe they thought the difference is fine since both start with 'M'. Close enough.

Menas17

Reaction score
I wonder how that did happen. Seems pretty random and I assume both religions would prefer endogamy but maybe they thought the difference is fine since both start with 'M'. Close enough.
Yea not entirely sure how that happened. Also, really curious how he went from that upbringing to Antiochian Orthodox