Remains of Byzantine Church Discovered Underwater in Turkey

Ersaia

Elder
Reaction score
The town of Iznik (historically known as Nicaea) lies at its eastern end. The lake's Ancient Greek name was Askania, (Ασκάνια). (wikipedia)

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtXJOvZNWr8

probably here
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.425444,29.710194&spn=0.001633,0.003449&t=k&z=18

Ersaia

Elder
Reaction score
ok I don't understand it
;D

it's so close to houses! why they found it now?

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Relics might still be there.... is it possible?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Gunnarr said:
Relics might still be there.... is it possible?
Maybe, if underneath the foundation, but probably not.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I read another half dozen articles on this, but they all contained roughly the same information, so the following is just speculation on my part...

Ersaia said:
it's so close to houses! why they found it now?
I'm not sure, but since the closest part of the structure is 20 meters out, perhaps no one had gone out that far on foot, and possibly it could not be distinguished as ruins from a boat (I'm sure it's much easier to tell from up in a helicopter or plain)? Or perhaps they knew of it but didn't think much of it, or figured whatever it was it wasn't worth the effort to investigate?

To give some more perspective, here is a pic from the Mystagogy blog:

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Underwater St. Neophytos basilica resurfaces with retreat of Lake Iznik

The underwater remains of a 1,500-year-old basilica in honor of St. Neophytos has re-emerged with the withdrawal of waters from a lake in the Iznik district of the province of Bursa, northwestern Turkey...

Experts estimate that the site of worship was buried in lake waters during an earthquake in 740, however, it has only now reemerged due to the effects of a drought in the region...

Over the course of the project, a number of remarkable artifacts have been discovered, including the seal of a number of Scottish knights...

neophytos.jpg