• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Renewed Like The Eagle's?

OrthoNoob

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
There are many references in the DL to one's youth being "renewed like the eagle's." What does this mean?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
I think the Orthodox Jewish Bible makes the meaning of the Psalm quite clear:

Tehillim 103
Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
103 (Of Dovid). Barachi (Bless) Hashem, O my nefesh; and all that is within me, bless His Shem kodesh.
2 Barachi Hashem, O my nefesh, and forget not all His gmulim (benefits);
3 Who forgiveth all thine avonim (iniquities); Who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who is the Go’el (Redeemer) of thy life from shachat (corruption, pit, grave); Who crowneth thee with chesed and rachamim;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with tov; so that thy ne’urim is made chadash like the nesher.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20103&version=OJB

What a misagos . . .

Who would ever read such a thing? What is the point of this?

It's a weird translation. Basically eagles have been fancifully thought (much like a phoenix but much less dramatic fashion) to renew themselves throughout life and reach incredible longevity.

It is simile / metaphor of this process of renewal which has little to no concrete basis within any known eagle's life cycle.

It's poetry with allusions divorced from our own experience.

That's all.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
orthonorm said:
I think the Orthodox Jewish Bible makes the meaning of the Psalm quite clear:

Tehillim 103
Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
103 (Of Dovid). Barachi (Bless) Hashem, O my nefesh; and all that is within me, bless His Shem kodesh.
2 Barachi Hashem, O my nefesh, and forget not all His gmulim (benefits);
3 Who forgiveth all thine avonim (iniquities); Who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who is the Go’el (Redeemer) of thy life from shachat (corruption, pit, grave); Who crowneth thee with chesed and rachamim;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with tov; so that thy ne’urim is made chadash like the nesher.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20103&version=OJB

What a misagos . . .

Who would ever read such a thing? What is the point of this?
An Orthodox Christian one for the NT would be awesome.

"Fear him who is able to apolesai both Psyche and Soma in Gehenna..."

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Who would ever read such a thing?
People who think vocalising a particular word is the same as understanding it.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Orthodox11 said:
orthonorm said:
Exactly, when I scanned the index and saw the term 'The Eagles' I first thought of the rock band, then the football team in trying to figure out the topic before I clicked on it! (Using the word 'The' to preface eagles as opposed to 'an eagle'  changes the context completely to American English speakers.)

OrthoNoob

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Orthodox11 said:
orthonorm said:
Exactly, when I scanned the index and saw the term 'The Eagles' I first thought of the rock band, then the football team in trying to figure out the topic before I clicked on it! (Using the word 'The' to preface eagles as opposed to 'an eagle'  changes the context completely to American English speakers.)

That's true, although, in my defense, that's how we say it in the Liturgy in the OCA. "Like the eagle's."

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
OrthoNoob said:
There are many references in the DL to one's youth being "renewed like the eagle's." What does this mean?
It's about actual eagles, who "renew their youth" by, IIRC, striking their beaks on rocks which takes off old layers and allows the beak to grow and look new. This is what I remember at least from a footnote somewhere. Doubtless, an ornithologist could explain better.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
DSM 5
Jurisdiction
Apostle to the Church of ASD
Shanghaiski said:
OrthoNoob said:
It's about actual eagles, who "renew their youth" by, IIRC, striking their beaks on rocks which takes off old layers and allows the beak to grow and look new. This is what I remember at least from a footnote somewhere. Doubtless, an ornithologist could explain better.
Except it doesn't happen as I suggested above, except when some go mad and do such self harm as they die.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
podkarpatska said:
Orthodox11 said:
orthonorm said:
The football team has no apostrophe.  just sayin

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
OrthoNoob said:
podkarpatska said:
Orthodox11 said:
orthonorm said:

That's true, although, in my defense, that's how we say it in the Liturgy in the OCA. "Like the eagle's."
On a serious note - for those of us whose English liturgy is not that of the OCA, please provide the context for the phrase. Thanks!

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
serb1389 said:
podkarpatska said:
Orthodox11 said:
orthonorm said:
The football team has no apostrophe.  just sayin
Got me there!

OrthoNoob

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
OrthoNoob said:
podkarpatska said:
Orthodox11 said:
orthonorm said:

On a serious note - for those of us whose English liturgy is not that of the OCA, please provide the context for the phrase. Thanks!
By this, do you mean that you want me to tell you where in the Liturgy it appears, or that I should have mentioned it was a quote from the OCA liturgy in the OP?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
It is a line from Psalm 102, the First Antiphon. However, most parishes sing an abridged version of this antiphon so one doesn't ordinarily hear this line at a Sunday liturgy.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Actually those who follow the Constantinopolitan practice don't sing the 102nd Psalm as the First Antiphon either in full or in part, hence the unfamiliarity. I recall this discussion in an earlier thread as it refers to 1838 revisions of Constantinople. One of the confusing things about that date and the relative 'antiquity' of one form over the other was that the Greek Catholics of central Europe seemed to follow the 1838 revisions which is hard to understand given that the unions dated to the 17th century.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Ah, I did not know that ACROD followed the revised rite. I know that psalm 102 though is still used as the First Antiphon in Greek monasteries (they sang the full psalm at Holy Protection Monastery this Monday).

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Iconodule said:
Ah, I did not know that ACROD followed the revised rite. I know that psalm 102 though is still used as the First Antiphon in Greek monasteries (they sang the full psalm at Holy Protection Monastery this Monday).
I have my old Greek Catholic Slavonic Typicon here somewhere first published in 1938 in Presov ..... Psalm 102 is prescribed as an alternative and for use during Lent. It still strikes me as odd that the 'revised' rite is traced to the early 19th century. If so, why would the Greek Catholics have adopted it since they did not, for example, follow the Nikonian reforms?