• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Requiem and Nuptial Liturgies

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
Is anyone familiar with the Divine Liturgy being served during a memorial service before a burial?  The famous Greek Orthodox cathedral in Los Angeles was and probably still is listing funerals as Divine Liturgies; I called years ago to inquire about a service on the 23rd to see if it was the Divine Liturgy of St. James and found out it was a funeral.  But I see nothing in either the funerary rubrics or the Crowning rubrics to suggest that they ordinarily are servied with the Eucharist, in contrast to the Roman Catholic practice of Requiem and Nuptial masses (except to the extent that Pannikhidas and in the Syriac Orthodox church, memorial services of a similiar nature, are usually served during the Divine Liturgy).
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
RF
Approximate differences between the funeral Liturgy of John Chrysostom from the usual (I speak from memory):
- antiphones (?)
- troparions
- readings from the Apostle and Gospel
- additional litany after the special
- sacrament verse.

In addition, there is a parochial amateur, but it makes no sense to talk about it.
 

WPM

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
7,775
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Age
38
Yes, I like Wednesday Vespers.
 

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
4,206
Reaction score
23
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Washington, PA
Alpha60 said:
Is anyone familiar with the Divine Liturgy being served during a memorial service before a burial?  The famous Greek Orthodox cathedral in Los Angeles was and probably still is listing funerals as Divine Liturgies; I called years ago to inquire about a service on the 23rd to see if it was the Divine Liturgy of St. James and found out it was a funeral.  But I see nothing in either the funerary rubrics or the Crowning rubrics to suggest that they ordinarily are servied with the Eucharist, in contrast to the Roman Catholic practice of Requiem and Nuptial masses (except to the extent that Pannikhidas and in the Syriac Orthodox church, memorial services of a similiar nature, are usually served during the Divine Liturgy).
This is common among Greek Catholics although one will also find them served as standalone services as well.
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
isxodnik said:
Approximate differences between the funeral Liturgy of John Chrysostom from the usual (I speak from memory):
- antiphones (?)
- troparions
- readings from the Apostle and Gospel
- additional litany after the special
- sacrament verse.

In addition, there is a parochial amateur, but it makes no sense to talk about it.
A parochial amateur shows up during the Requiem??  That sounds annoying.
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
RF
I don't know how good the translation was... These are some changes or additions made independently and arbitrarily to the service at the level of a parish or a region.

Yes, by the way, this Saturday those who serve according to the old calendar, will make remembrance of the dead. You can come and see )
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,623
Reaction score
162
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
isxodnik said:
Yes, by the way, this Saturday those who serve according to the old calendar, will make remembrance of the dead. You can come and see )
Saint Demetrios Saturday for departed is known only in some traditions.

The two basic Saturdays for departed known in all Eastern Orthodoxy is Meatfare Saturday and Saturday before the Pentecost.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,623
Reaction score
162
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpha60 said:
Is anyone familiar with the Divine Liturgy being served during a memorial service before a burial? 
You mean Divine Liturgy + rite of funeral? Very normal at least for priests and faithful that were engaged into Church life.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Dominika said:
isxodnik said:
Yes, by the way, this Saturday those who serve according to the old calendar, will make remembrance of the dead. You can come and see )
Saint Demetrios Saturday for departed is known only in some traditions.

The two basic Saturdays for departed known in all Eastern Orthodoxy is Meatfare Saturday and Saturday before the Pentecost.
And the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays of Lent, as long as they don't get superseded by something Annunciation.
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
Is anyone familiar with the Divine Liturgy being served during a memorial service before a burial? 
You mean Divine Liturgy + rite of funeral? Very normal at least for priests and faithful that were engaged into Church life.
Good to know.  I haven’t yet fortunately had the occasion to attend an Orthodox funeral; an elderly lady in her 90s reposed, may her memory be eternal; I had never met her but my rector encouraged me to come to her service, but I was unable to due to a relative falling ill that day and requiring my care.  That said, I wish I had been able to go, on the basis that when I die, if the members of my parish are able and inclined to attend my funeral liturgy, it would be appreciated, and while I hope it is many years before anyone else in my parish reposes, when they do if at all possible I will attend their funeral, even if I do not know them well.  The parish has to be like a family.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,623
Reaction score
162
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Bob2 said:
Dominika said:
isxodnik said:
Yes, by the way, this Saturday those who serve according to the old calendar, will make remembrance of the dead. You can come and see )
Saint Demetrios Saturday for departed is known only in some traditions.

The two basic Saturdays for departed known in all Eastern Orthodoxy is Meatfare Saturday and Saturday before the Pentecost.
And the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays of Lent, as long as they don't get superseded by something Annunciation.
True. But it seems their meaning in the context of departed is more visible in Slavic traditions (e.g Polish), while in Antiochan not so much (at least what I've experienced in Lebanon).
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,206
Reaction score
359
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
Dominika said:
Bob2 said:
Dominika said:
isxodnik said:
Yes, by the way, this Saturday those who serve according to the old calendar, will make remembrance of the dead. You can come and see )
Saint Demetrios Saturday for departed is known only in some traditions.

The two basic Saturdays for departed known in all Eastern Orthodoxy is Meatfare Saturday and Saturday before the Pentecost.
And the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays of Lent, as long as they don't get superseded by something Annunciation.
True. But it seems their meaning in the context of departed is more visible in Slavic traditions (e.g Polish), while in Antiochan not so much (at least what I've experienced in Lebanon).
Why is this?
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,623
Reaction score
162
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
Bob2 said:
Dominika said:
isxodnik said:
Yes, by the way, this Saturday those who serve according to the old calendar, will make remembrance of the dead. You can come and see )
Saint Demetrios Saturday for departed is known only in some traditions.

The two basic Saturdays for departed known in all Eastern Orthodoxy is Meatfare Saturday and Saturday before the Pentecost.
And the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays of Lent, as long as they don't get superseded by something Annunciation.
True. But it seems their meaning in the context of departed is more visible in Slavic traditions (e.g Polish), while in Antiochan not so much (at least what I've experienced in Lebanon).
Why is this?
I mean regarding the Antiochian Church e.g the texts are read, of course, but e.g readings are rather not for departed (Lenten Saturdays have two Epistle and two Gospel readings; the second one is always in connection for departed) and there is no trisagion/panichida after Liturgy on these days.

While at my Polish parish there are hymns for departed even on Saturday of st. Theodore Tyron, there is panichida after Liturgy, there are two readings of Epistle and Gospel etc.
 
Top