• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Researchers find that education intervention doesn't live up to its promise

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-

New research suggests the "growth mindset" strategy favored by some educators to improve student performance hasn't lived up to its promise...

More than 30 years ago, noted psychologist Carol Dweck proposed that students with a growth mindset—those who believe their intelligence can "grow" with effort—focus more on learning, work hard, seek challenges and are resilient to setbacks...

Study authors with a financial incentive to report positive effects--such as those employed by a company that sells growth mindset interventions--were more than twice as likely to report positive effects;

Financial incentives also appeared to influence which results were published and which were not. In one study, thousands of students whose academic achievement suggested the growth mindset intervention was ineffective were discarded from the main results pre-publication;

Many growth mindset interventions couldn't demonstrate they changed students' beliefs about intelligence--the intervention's primary aim;

Of the interventions that did change students' mindsets, there was no observable impact on academic achievement. This suggests that a student's mindset might not mean much when it comes to performing well in school...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
The education model that does work, however, doesn't make enough profit for the industry...

My heart just might belong to Finland now. ☺

Secular homeachooling has been steadily growing here for at least the past 20 years for precisely those reasons.

We have tens of millions of school-aged kids, though. I wonder if that model could scale effectively.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
My schoolteachers always told us that most of us would choose university courses that would be much easier than school, but I was still shocked to realise the effect of less hours and more individual responsibility.

This may sound a bit radical, but sometimes I think many countries have a lot of their school system designed to make kids docile, used to ideas like unquestionably repeating what authorities tell and accepting exhausting repetitive work. In Brazil, teachers are unanimously disgusted about this ideology, specially since they were educated in a very solid and internationally respected national pedagogic tradition to work inside a schooling system that's still roughly like the American one, so it's easier to see the system change teachers than vice-versa. It's weird to look behind and realise how easily these people who definitely believed in abolishing the "culture of silence" in schools would become little tyrants.

Last edited: