• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Resource for debunking the historical claims of the Da Vinci Code

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic
A Coptic Orthodox theologian did a series on it, but it's in Arabic.
I'm wondering if any of you know of any good resource in English

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Wasn’t it fiction to begin with? Did the author make actual claims?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
The book is fiction, but it riffed off apocryphal claims that predate it by a long time. Of course the author would make no claims one way or another; that would leave him open to personal criticism :cool: There have been a number of books offering the facts and the origins of the fiction. Probably the best out there is The Truth Behind the Da Vinci Code by Richard Abanes. It's short, solidly researched, and very readable.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
One of the main sources of pseudo-history for Davinci Code is Holy Blood, Holy Grail. It is filled with suppositions and, if you know a shred of history, is quite funny.

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Claim 1: Constantine ordered the council of Nicaea to invent the idea that Jesus is God
Claim 2: Jesus was in a romantic relationship with Mary Magdalene (Based, I think, off of a fragment of a gnostic gospel)

Some close friends from my parish saw the movie, that's why I was wondering.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
If you know the actual history behind the First Council of Nicaea and its aftermath, you know that the first claim, that St. Constantine ordered an invention that Jesus is God is completely ridiculous and insane.

Then, if you already believe in the truth about Christ God, the second claim that he somehow had a romantic relationship with St. Mary Magdalene is blasphemous and moronic.

No book is going to debunk claims which are founded on no evidence whatsoever because there is really no claim to debunk. You just call the garbage what it is.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Claim 1: Constantine ordered the council of Nicaea to invent the idea that Jesus is God
Claim 2: Jesus was in a romantic relationship with Mary Magdalene (Based, I think, off of a fragment of a gnostic gospel)

Some close friends from my parish saw the movie, that's why I was wondering.
Ah. I just write this stuff off as poetic license if there's no author or director saying, "This is fact disguised as fiction." I was vaguely aware it caused some kind of stir, but I tend to filter such things out quickly. Like the Left Behind books. Meh.
Are you worried your friend will take it seriously? Or did it trouble them?