• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Richard Swinburne the greatest christian philosopher in the last 50 yrs says there are three gods in the trinity

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
He's a convert to Orthodoxy from Anglicanism. I heard a discussion between him and William Lane Craig that was, philosophically speaking, over my head.

Unfortunately, convert-intellectuals sometimes have issues with "hold-over" doctrines that make their way into their own Orthodox scholarship. David Bentley Hart is another example of that.

muskogee22

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Sunni Muslim
Jurisdiction
strict Hanafi
if three persons are fully divine and share only a abstract generic shared 'divinity'there are three gods.Gregory of Nyssa responded to this by saying there only ever was one 'man'.its the same thing when you apply it to the Trinity.three gods one composite one Godhead.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
Unfortunately, he has not fully understood the Nicene Creed unless this thread has outdated information of his faith. Either way, it is an insufficient understanding of faith.

John 1:1-3

King James Version

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Colossians 1:15-18

King James Version

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

John 14:15-18

King James Version

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

John 15:26

King James Version

26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7-16

King James Version

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.

Isaiah 48:16

King James Version

16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God, and his Spirit, hath sent me.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Whether the points/argumentation of Swinburne in this 33 year old article (and written 8 years before converting to Orthodoxy) are all orthodox I'll leave to those who are much better versed on the topic. But as for the general claim made in the OP, it doesn't seem to me that he is at all trying to say what you think he is. He is just trying to defend the Trinity from a more philosophical POV. Here's the actual article:

muskogee22

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Sunni Muslim
Jurisdiction
strict Hanafi
Whether the points/argumentation of Swinburne in this 33 year old article (and written 8 years before converting to Orthodoxy) are all orthodox I'll leave to those who are much better versed on the topic. But as for the general claim made in the OP, it doesn't seem to me that he is at all trying to say what you think he is. He is just trying to defend the Trinity from a more philosophical POV. Here's the actual article:

as evangelical philosopher joshua sijuwade also says,in a predicative sense there are three Gods in the trinity,but in a universal sense there is only one divinity.so christianity is qualitative 'monotheism' instead of quantative monotheism.if there were a trillion fully divine persons each having only shared in a shared abstract generic divinity,then nicene christians would say there are a trillion divine persons but one God.its just absurd.

also the nicene creed seems to argue against social Trinitarianism in favor of latin trinitarianism as does
St.Athanasius.

muskogee22

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Sunni Muslim
Jurisdiction
strict Hanafi
this proves the Nicene creed and early saints were latin trinitarians aka eternal FSH modalists.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
You butt in with a ‘philosophy’ that dives off in three or four different directions. Why don’t you tell us you’re a new and confused Muslim convert, probably a young student, who wants us to convert on ‘evidence’ that was invented fived or six centuries after Christianity existed?
Based on a book that was a complete ripoff from the Book of Revelation?

muskogee22

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Sunni Muslim
Jurisdiction
strict Hanafi
You butt in with a ‘philosophy’ that dives off in three or four different directions. Why don’t you tell us you’re a new and confused Muslim convert, probably a young student, who wants us to convert on ‘evidence’ that was invented fived or six centuries after Christianity existed?
Based on a book that was a complete ripoff from the Book of Revelation?
I never claimed I want you to convert to islam.stop bringing up islam!

I just want to have my doubts about chrisianity answered to either show I'm wrong and can learn more or by trying but failing,verifying my stances.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
If that's what you want, then pray about it.

muskogee22

BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Sunni Muslim
Jurisdiction
strict Hanafi
If that's what you want, then pray about it.
I have always prayed to the father to guide me and so far I am leaning towards islam .if islam is revealed as false to me I might become a Unitarian .

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
I have always prayed to the father to guide me and so far I am leaning towards islam .if islam is revealed as false to me I might become a Unitarian .
May you find great peace and joy in the love of your Creator. May God lead your path and make your steps sure. Lord, have mercy on Your child.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
this proves the Nicene creed and early saints were latin trinitarians aka eternal FSH modalists.
Wow, a 13 minute long video from sedevacantists.
Before you decide to convert to Islam or another religion, slowly read the New Testament and Quran side by side after praying to compare them and see which makes more sense. Debating on 5 different threads of forum isn't going to give you the answers you want. Also realize that in both Islam and Christianity philosophical concepts are tools and not ultimate truth. God is truth. We cannot confine Him into our preconceived notions.